The Sylvanas that BFA wants you to forget

Your definition of “interesting” is bland, generic with no conflict. You want a Horde of yes-men that do nothing. Words do not adequately explain my disdain for your existence and the fact that Blizzard is appealing to you through writing a childish novel.

Literally everyone goes “I disagree” and points at literal statements found in the writing but apparently you’re so far up your own that you’re the one with “true sight” and gloat about it at the expense of others.

I hate Sylvanas

but I hate you more.

21 Likes

Nine Years. She has been on her character arc from Edge of Night for NINE YEARS. Finding a method to thwart her afterlife has been her canonical PRIMARY motivation for nearly a decade; and she just acted on that motive in a MASSIVE way here (as she did in Stormheim). Hell, she’s been using others as mere tools for personal objectives, then discarding them like garbage the moment they cease to be of use since WC3 for goodness sake.

2 Likes

Without further development.

5 Likes

Sure, but then her actions since the pre-patch of BFA do not line up with that. Or, Blizz will have to pull one hell of a cat out of the bag to convince me (and a lot of players too) otherwise that everything she has orchestrated this expac has been necessary to achieve said goal. Cuz right now, her actions have earned her a “kill her, behead her, burn the body and salt the earth so she never rises again” ire from the rest of everyone in Azeroth.

Ultimately it goes back to that great video on how foreshadowing is not a substitution for characterization. We could still be at this point, but there could have and should have been steps shown to the audience to get here.

7 Likes

Cool, hate me. On this point I don’t mind acting like a jerk, because I have just grown so sick and tired of apparent Sylvanas fans growing outraged when Sylvie does anything that infringes on THEIR version of her. I still think what I have always thought about segments of the Sylvanas faction of fans. They ONLY seem to like her within the Horde (and NOTHING else), and they like the CONCEPT of her better than who she is actually portrayed as being.

And I will admit, that it was a coin flip … and I would have been SUPER happy if I was wrong. But so many of the underlying story structures of both Legion and BfA pointed towards this outcome for her (and it wasn’t trash, inconsistent writing on this point … Sylvanas has been portrayed as VERY consistently written as long as you remember that she’s always been a character that will say and do one thing … while thinking something completely different).

EDIT: And as a side note for those of you saying her “FOR THE HORDE” was not reflective of her character in 8.2.5 … I should remind you that Edge of Night revealed she had just spent years rallying her “Mongrel Race of Rotten Corpses” to fight and die for her revenge trip (and convinced them she TRULY cared about their well being). Did not stop her from abandoning them the moment they fulfilled their primary function (and she thought she did not need them anymore).

5 Likes

“Sylvanas has always been consistently written if you assume that everything which is inconsistent were lies from the writers.”

36 Likes

Cause different writer who is probably very, very, very sided with Light (cough-Anduin) themes, dead and shadow themes bad.

5 Likes

i think that this is what i hate the most about the faction war, i don’t enjoy getting triggered at horde players and having the need to respond or be incited to answer because i feel insulted by them somehow.
Look at the state of the forum,the negativity is reaching to chernobyl levels.

in the end it seems like everyone ended up being miserable simply because fans are fighting each other,and i know that i haven’t been innocent either.

Can this madness end already?

7 Likes

If its in character for her … sure!

You are completely and utterly wrong droite.

I won’t waste my time writing entire paragraphs. I will just show the proof.
Free of bias. Lets see if it will get through yours.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429476017653153802/632348222999887872/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429476017653153802/632348244877377559/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429476017653153802/632348267836866601/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429476017653153802/632348297029222420/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429476017653153802/632348325865324585/unknown.png

34 Likes

Yeah but then what’s the line? This is what the problem with this direction and style is. It’s why, for example, “it was all just a dream!” is frowned upon. If anything can simply be a dream, then why bother? Why care about anything if the direction of the character can go in whatever direction the writer du jour pleases?

5 Likes

At least they enjoyed an aspect of the Horde and didn’t try to demolish everything else.

You’re just as selective in what you like in “your” Horde, yet you demand to remove every factor of the Horde you don’t like.

33 Likes

But you see, when Sylv thinks to herself “I care”, she was actually lying… to herself!

47d chess, only true experts like Droite can see it.

41 Likes

These are great. I rarely read the outside novels and stories (prefer hearing you guyss talk about it) so these are fun to see.

If anyone here reads or has read, Robert Jordan writes characters with hidden motives pretty well. He’ll add both throwaway and telling, directed lines hinting at a character’s hidden or ulterior motivation.

2 Likes

It’s in her character for her to be lying in her own head and to people she has no reason to lie to? It’s in her character for third person narration, writer word of god, and marketing involving the character to be lying about her?

Droite, do you legitimately believe that all the inconsistencies in Sylvanas’ portrayal over the last fifteen years were all part of a massive plan on the writer’s part to have her be tricking everyone by lying about everything all the time? Do you really think they have the competency to have done that? The reason people hate your perspective on the issue so much is because it’s rationalizing bad writing as being great because it matched your headcanon.

34 Likes

Robert Jordan is great.

I recently started rereading some Jim Butcher books and from very early on you see clues about coming storylines several books before they get introduced much less concluded.

4 Likes

Jim Butcher is pretty good, though his Dresden Files does on occasion have some cringy characterizations regarding women. He gets better with his fantasy series, though, and progresses well in Dresden.

1 Like

Oooh I just started reading Storm Front. I do like them but, as the people on Something Awful forums would say, the author/protagonist comes across as goony af when it comes to women. Basically think the fedora wearin’ type, lol.

:stuck_out_tongue:

What do you find cringy regarding the female characterizations?

Just curious.

wasn’t afrasabi the one who was been writting sylvanas over the years, even today?