The Sylvanas that BFA wants you to forget

This is also post-ICC.
But remember everyone… the BFA writing staff wants you to think she never truly cared about The Forsaken outside of slight pity and that they are all ‘nothing’ to her.

86 Likes

The late great Samariyu has requested this be posted in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uzFQ_n88k&t=13m30s

28 Likes

It’s been so long since I’ve heard that spiel.

Oh, how I miss it.

19 Likes

Isn’t this after she literally went to hell and came to the conclusion that she would never ever EVER go back there, no matter what and decides to turn the Forsaken into her “bulwark against the infinite”?

Also, I defy you to find me one leader that’s led an army to do terrible things that hasn’t at one point or another delivered some kind of passionate inspirational speech to their followers about how they’re going to emerge triumphant.

Manipulating and using people who think they’re her allies is like Sylvanas’ whole schitck.

36 Likes

I know there are going to be people (actually, I see there are already people) who claim this was never meant to be sincere.

But really, I think it boils down to too many people with differing visions of Sylvanas writing the character.

Someday, I hope there’s a tell-all book that explains who wrote what, and then we’ll be able to trace the behind-the-scenes struggle that led to all the inconsistency.

FWIW, I wish they had stuck with this Sylvanas.

68 Likes

The moral of the story is pretty simple.

Alex, Danuser, and Golden are hacks. Fire all three of them and combine their salaries to hire William King.

69 Likes

500 post thread about different interpretations of EoN inc

where you at droite pyro yagarr

11 Likes

i mean BfA story is basically a western regime change operation but only where the propaganda about the leader they overthrowing is “true” in universe… kinda wanna make a topic bout this

1 Like

2005 is just a touch outdated. Just a teeny tiny bit.

As a particular orc once said,
Times change.

8 Likes

Please don’t remind me. The memories are too painful. Why actually write an interesting war story when you can just take yet another iconic Horde character and turn her into the big-bad?

40 Likes

had they stuck with “This” Sylvanas, they’d have to write her as a capable Warchief that didn’t need to kowtow to the Alliance in order to be successful or a great leader. And of course they couldn’t do that… they gotta do the ‘big baddie’ storyline for The Horde cause it’s the only kind of story they’ve got. And they can always fall back on “we did Arthas before” as reason they never stick with it on Alliance side. The same way Golden always goes to “I wrote Durotan” whenever someone criticizes her writing of The Horde.

Nevertheless THIS… is Sylvanas. Not the Saturday Morning Cartoon villain they created for conflict in BFA so they could continue to write yet another game story about how awesome, capable full or honor and superhero’y the Alliance is.

32 Likes

That said, I really think BfA would have been better served if we’d had a similar moment.

If we’d had a cutscene where Sylvanas stands in front of a huge crowd in Orgrimmar, makes a passionate speech, and makes it so that the audience not only understands why what she said seemed reasonable to the Horde, but be reminded why she’s considered by so many in and out of universe to be a charismatic person.

Like Emperor Palpatine in Episode III.

Like, we as the audience know Palpatine’s the villain. We know he’s an evil authoritarian. However, we can also totally understand why the crowd is cheering. We understand why they support the genocide of the Jedi, and why he could have popular support. And also as important, the Senate as a whole isn’t demonized, even though all of this is the fault of their fundamentally broken processes.

14 Likes

I feel like it’s pretty typical in longform fiction for writers to drop a lot of contrasting narrative “hooks” or clues early on so they can justify doing whatever they want down the line.

The writers dropped hooks for both a heroic and a villainous Sylvanas, and then they just decided to go the villain route when it came time to put her in the spotlight

17 Likes

the attempt on my (un)life has left me scarred and deformed but i assure you my resolve has never been stronger!!! shows the tiny scratchy on her eye from saurfang

edit: actually woudlve fit after stormheim with genn lmao

9 Likes

the sam’s point in linking that video was to show how drastically the vision for the character has changed between writers.

23 Likes

Goes to show how Sylvanas lives and dies by who writes and how they personal perceive her. Between writers her personality and relationship with other characters differ extremely. In the games shes stoic, calm, and well collected, but in the Golden novel BftS she is very easy to *#&@ off. In the comics she and Lor’themar have a positive relationship, but in books and the games its more strained.

With this Blizz has shown that the story of these characters don’t matter. If they decide on a whim to speed a beloved character down hill they will ignore anything that might contradict their efforts.

This isn’t the first time Blizz has taken a complex character and turned them into a lunatic. The Burning Crusade was devoted to taking 3 well beloved characters and making them 3 different kinds of insane for no reason just so they can be raid bosses (Illidan, Keal’thas, Vashj). Hell, we even fight Gruul who was on friendly terms with Alleria and Khadgar. And we ended up fighting Gruul because…

The whole Legion expansion was a long collection of corrections and saving-throws to salvage a fan favorite character like Illidan to save him from the burning dumpster fire Blizz put him in 10+ years ago.

One would think by now Blizz would learned their ^#%@ing lesson by now after Legion. But I guess not.

48 Likes

Blizzard can’t write.

The people Blizzard hire to write can’t write either.

16 Likes

A prequel!? In these forums!?

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

6 Likes

What the sylvanas who is lying, to her people and we got a book telling us she is, and yall still believing her?

1 Like

I guess we shouldn’t believe her then when she says the Horde is nothing. Clearly she’s just lying like always!

22 Likes