The RP Community Megathread

Lmao. You assume that they actually read the bug reports, the truth will sorely disappoint you

I agree with you and Raesari as well. Apologies if prior posts sounded hostile to both of you.

As much as I want to see Warcraft go into a new golden age, we have to be realistic here. Activision won’t do that because it will mean them choosing between spending money on a project on an outdated engine when it might not even be possible to. Or just milking the game dry. Which they will probably just chose milking the game because they are a small indie studio

I can only ask that if you truly believe that, then what suggestions are you looking to offer?

I’m not saying that it’s wrong, or that I disagree. Just that once that stance is taken, what is there to be discussed about?

I also want to clarify that I don’t think WoW is perfect- especially in Shadowlands, it’s far from it. But if had to choose between being hopeful, and offering productive insights, or just dismissing everything while being cynical and pessimistic, I know what I prefer to be and the kinds of people I prefer to be around. It feels nicer that way- and people have a right to think that’s unrealistic.

But hey, we all do what we can.

1 Like

No game is perfect. That is true.

Things I would want from the World of Warcraft team would be

1. Better transparency about what is going on during development. As well as an actual apology from the dev team for past mistakes in video form.

2. More character customization. Ability to choose your character’s height, as well as tattoos for all races.

3. More moderation and action via tickets and reports (So people like a certain growthpot paladin child groomer can not come onto the server

4. Player housing.

5. Armor customization. Different tints and such

1 Like

A video apology will likely not happen- I’m not saying it definitely won’t, but I feel as if there is a greater degree of transparency in blueposts coming from the Slands dev team.

The rest all sound like things that can be baked into a new expac! Character customization, moderation, and housing. You know, it’s a wonder if tints are actually something that would require about a weeks worth of work to get working, or half a year of agonizing effort. It really depends on the existing engine, but it would be neat to have.

3 Likes

There was a - probably fake - alleged leak that said that starting with 10.0, there would be no more expansions per se and instead they would seasonally update zones with new content and story. I actually think that would be a great idea. Instead of having to come up with a huge plot and new zones and systems every two years, why not put those resources toward making the world we have and love truly relevant and alive all the time?

If they aren’t going to do that, then they still need to make major changes to the leveling story. New players going from Exile’s Reach to the leveling expansion to the current expansion and having everything else be irrelevant or in the past isn’t a great idea. I think it’s great that in FFXIV you level through every expansion in order, but I know it’s ultimately not sustainable, as Blizzard decided when they implemented level scaling and Chromie Time.

I’d love to see Azeroth (EK, Kalimdor, Northrend, Pandaria, Broken Isles, KT, Zandalar) updated with non-expansion-specific quests and storylines. Players would level there and the cosmic places (Outland, Draenor, Shadowlands, maybe Argus) could be accessed through the Mage Tower, Caverns of Time, or a library system like Maxi suggested.

And this would be a hard sell, but if it were up to me, I would never increase the level cap. Let leveling be a learning experience and endgame be about enjoying the game for its own sake, earning rewards that matter and don’t become obsolete, like achievements, cosmetics, and access to new features and content. There is no reason to make players grind ten levels every two or three years other than to show off new zones that soon won’t matter and new gear that soon won’t matter. People should play video games because they’re fun, not because they’re addicted like a drug to the dopamine-exploiting reward treadmill. WoW could finally fulfill the full promise of the genre by becoming the first truly fun MMO, that people actually enjoy and don’t just feel enslaved to, but it would require a lot of work and creativity.

Blizzard never anticipated that WoW would last nearly this long. They need to abandon the additive, linear progression model that works for games that last just a few years and transition to something that’s built to last and stay fresh.

These are all general game design ideas, posted more in response to Raseri and Maxi’s back-and-forth, and would require a complete change in direction, but they would certainly benefit RPers by making the game feel more immersive and rewarding to play.

Edit: I previously suggested full level scaling up to 60 for all zones. But I remember what a thrill it was to have dangerous, forbidden places looming and then finally be able to get to them. One of my earliest WoW memories is the legendary Night Elf right of passage of running from Menethil Harbor through the Wetlands to get to Ironforge, with a stop in Loch Modan to wonder what was behind the locked gate in the Valley of Kings. I want there to still be some mystery and a sense of a collective “journey” for new players, albeit with many possible paths. So maybe zones should have level ranges but players scale *down * to them so they remain relevant, with abilities retained so as not to discourage RP and PvP out in the world (both of which I want to come back in a big way). I think that is how some other MMOs handle it.

3 Likes

I’ve thought the same thing-- keep level 60 the max, and if anything just squish us back down to 50. Previous expansions gets folded into Chromie time and max out at 50. I also feel that after the first major content patch, players should be able to get to max through Chromie time.

Personally? I think the only thing that will draw me back to World of Warcraft at this point is a return to Azeroth and more appropriately scaled conflicts to follow suit. This massive, cosmic war between planes of life and death and existence itself are… exhausting, and over-reaching. I’m not here for an existential crisis, I’m here to take candles from kobolds.

6 Likes

Hi everyone! While I greatly appreciate the discussions and back and forth, let’s please keep in mind the point of the thread is to provide a consolidated place for our reps on the community council to look at our feedback and suggestions regarding RP in the game, and may be viewed by community managers and devs. Let’s keep the thread positive and respectful please. Thank you everyone for your contributions! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a quick update that we’ve been getting feedback from our friends at ED! I’ll have time this weekend to make sure it gets incorporated in this thread and/or the Google Doc.

6 Likes

Excellent news to hear then.

1 Like

News update #2:

I’m afraid I failed you friends, because i didn’t notice Dynja made a post over on the community council forums! Please go show her your support, she’s been great interacting with us and has taken the time to look at our feedback. Thank you Dynja!

5 Likes

You have been great! Thank you for the kind words and help! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I know it’s a LOT to read through, but we really appreciate it.

Edit: Edited my previous long post because I no longer believe that full upward scaling for all zones is necessarily a good idea.

3 Likes

Ortho made a great post about toy and transmog restrictions over on the cc forums. I can’t remember if we’ve had this discussion, but he’s looking for feedback regarding how these restrictions have affected us. Feel free to post here about how these restrictions have affected you! Hopefully he’ll be able to see it. I’ll be making a post of my own later tonight.

2 Likes

if theres a requirement like prof/faction/rep im fine with the toon having to get that as well, but not having to keep the requirement

removing the zonelock would be a bigly win, especially for things like the Tents from the WoD Garrison

2 Likes

Why Armor Restrictions Need to Go: *(pics and thinly-veiled irritation included for free)

I got an itch to make a new Dwarf Hunter, so I rolled one the other day. Got him a fancy name and everything.

Upon spawning into the Dwarf starting area for the 40,000th time since I’ve been playing, I again remarked to myself how great it would be if my new Hunter could dress like the heroes that he sees when he first joins Azeroth, the Coldridge Mountaineers. The very first NPC’s he will encounter…

https://imgur.com/WPKHhmA

This guy. This guy is carrying a polearm. If attacked, this guy will also pull out a blunderbuss. He also spends most of his time in game, staring blankly at nothing, so clearly, he’s a Hunter. Well, my character is a Hunter too! Wow! These Coldridge Mountaineers have been holding the line against the Rockjaw Invaders for well over 10 years! What an amazing fighting force! I want to dress my character up like these super heroes! Well, WoW let’s me transmog my gear, so I’m going to go in search of what they wear…

Helm: Eldr’naan Hood (Cloth)
Chest: Fungus Shroud Armor (Leather)
Waist: Nigh-Invulnerability Belt (Cloth)
Legs: Marauder’s Leggings (Mail! Finally!)
Feet: Gossamer Boots (Cloth)
Gloves: Gossamer Gloves (Cloth - although, the model for Gossamer was changed yrs ago and no longer has the gauntlet attached to it. You can get the Emissary Cuffs to go with the gloves, but they don’t flare out.)
Cloak: Muck-covered Drape

Well, that’s odd Blizz. I guess if I wanted to transmog my character to look like a Mountaineer, he’d only end up with pants and a cloak on. Not really the look I was going for…

However, If I pony up a few dollars to Blizz, I can make him look like this…

https://imgur.com/ixuGcVw

We are far beyond the point where this is even a discussion anymore. They’ve added footie PJ’s to the game, they added a fairy costume, Org Grunt/Stormwind Armor, I mean come on? Who the hell is making this decision? Get off your high horse and be done with it.

Remove the armor restrictions, except for class/tier gear if it’s that big of a deal.
Make white and grey items transmog-able.
etc. etc. etc.

Give it a rest already.

12 Likes

Thank you so much Halite for linking the megathread in your post! Everyone here really appreciates the efforts of you and the other representatives who have taken the time to look through our feedback and communicate it for us.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m here to compile some of the thoughts and ideas I’ve had while making my own expansion ideas, as linked by Talanor a day ago. I’ll try to avoid delving into other aspects of the game like raids, PvP, or dungeons that I covered in my expansions, and keep it all aimed towards things relating to RP and how it benefits the community.

I’ll start with something a little more general purpose, though.

Open World Talents
So basically the idea behind open world talents is to provide players with an alternate progression path. They farm it up by doing open world content and it provides them with a secondary talent system exclusively active in the open world. It comes in three specializations: combat, utility, and RP.

Combat basically provides changes to a class’s rotation in a way that can be a little sillier and less balanced than you’d find in competitive content. Utility would include travel improvements, material collection improvements, and other such non combat benefits. Then RP would be giving players silly little abilities for RP’s sake that have little impact on the player’s power. Examples of this might be the ability to soothe and speak to animals in the wild as a druid.

I believe this is an important addition to the game because an RPG needs a living world. As it stands currently, the open world has slowly been aimed towards a system that prepares players to enter instanced content. Hence why it always feels like you’re doing chores. Giving players a little something more to work towards in the open world that is self contained makes the open world itself more exciting to be a part of. Ideally, there’d be more content in the open world to do and use this new toolkit on besides dailies, but that’s for another topic.

Class/Race Halls
This is very simple for RPers. We like to have story developments around our characters, both new and old places to affiliate with our characters. I didn’t like the main story of BfA, but it’s the most fun I’ve had RPing, and that’s because my character was a part of something. She joined the Horde hoping to be part of a good cause since she’d previously worked for the Legion in Suramar. It was her attempt at atonement. Then I got to have her reacting to events around the Fourth War. She fought night elves, had opinions on that, went to Nazjatar, and even contended with the mindbending dangers of Ny’alotha. My RP was very involved.

RPers want that kind of connection. A great way to provide such a connection is through the use of class or racial halls. Those will provide personal bases for characters to jump stories from. If there was a campaign for blood elves where they cleaned up Ghostlands of Scourge, imagine how many RPers would be able to spin stories off that. Characters facing the ghosts of loved ones, unleashing rage at the Scourge, finally being able to go to the villages they called home when they were kids. Suddenly you have a ton of engagement from one race’s community. Imagine that for every race, or class.

This is, in my opinion, the best way to breathe life into the RP community. We make our own content, certainly, but progressing the communities our characters are part of do wonders for giving us new routes to explore with these characters.

Another opinion of mine is that the races and organizations of the world are what people are invested in in WoW, not characters. There’s a whole political landscape that lives, grows and changes. People wish to see how that happens. We would like to know where the night elves end up now that their capital has been destroyed. We’d like to see how the Forsaken shape themselves after losing the person who’s set themselves up as their messiah. The Frozen Throne was a great expansion to Warcraft III because that’s what it explored, how the high elves reacted to the loss of their Sunwell, how the Kaldorei were trying to fix the aftermath of the Third War, and what a post-Scourge Eastern Kingdoms looks like. Class/race halls are ways to facilitate these stories and very important for maintaining an immersive world.

Personally, I think class or race halls should be a baseline thing for each expansion, covering how the organizations of Azeroth are reacting to events. Plus who doesn’t love worldbuilding?

Customization
I believe there’s tons of input already on this. Given our personal relationships to our characters, RPers will always adore more customization options. What I’d personally love to see is more simple HD sets and weapons. Also, remove the faction restrictions on the Exile’s Reach weapons! There’s no reason a Horde elf cannot wield a sword.

Then in the realm of more experimental ideas, I was thinking of more unlockable character customization options, similar to the night elf Night Warrior eyes. It might run alongside a race hall where you unlock interesting character looks for your race. It may even help explain more controversial appearance additions, like if worgen had to go through some wild god shenanigans in order to gain tail options. Or imagine if mechagnomes could find a new pair of arms in a dungeon. People would be scrambling to run it for that purpose alone!

In a similar vein, I’d be interested in seeing race/class customization combos. It’s cool being a nightborne, and it’s cool being a warlock. But what if I had visual ways to indicate that I’m a nightborne warlock? I’m talking about green eyes, green handy glowies, and green tattoos, of course! That would go miles for RPers, who suddenly get to really show off their character’s backstory through such visuals.

Last thing I want to offer in the customization field would be more experimental armor pieces. I keep thinking about this idea I had where for demon hunter tier sets they could have armor that is reminiscent of classic demons. Get a wild felhunter mane for a helmet, or succubus wings for a cloak, a pointed tail that comes in the belt slot, or hooves that come as boots. You don’t even have to mix it, just give demon hunters a felhunter set in 10.0, a succubus set in 10.1, and a felguard set in 10.2. Or something like that. Then you let the players decide how they want to mix and match it. Players generally know how they want to look, just give them the tools and they’ll go nuts.

Class Skins
RPers are pretty creative. Their characters’ backstories don’t always follow the norm for their class, and class skins is a great way to help them express that. It also safely allows Blizzard to grant us new classes without the nightmare of having to balance new classes. People have been dying for necromancers. Replace warlock fel spells with necromancy spells and demons with undead and bam, you have necromancers.

The way I’d do it is I’d treat it like transmog. You can add individual spell effects that can be slotted in on its own, or you can have full blown “sets” which are the class skins. This adds a lot of freedom, and it also streamlines the process by which players can change their class’s effects that are already in the game. Glyphs can be reworked to simply be ways to learn some of these effects, while other skins and appearances can be found through various means. Adds more reasons for people to go out and play the game, too!

Allied Races
Allied races are a bit of a nebulous concept and this could work massively to Blizzard’s advantage. They are not beholden to making a subrace specifically, they can do whatever and it isn’t stuck with the rules of a core race either. What I’m talking about is more bizarre, niche races. Someone in another thread around here said to add dryads, an exclusively druid race. That could work! Many RPers play less conventional races and currently have to take some liberties to do that, either by using their imagination or tricky reflective prism shenanigans. I myself have a Nerubian character and I’d be delighted to play them how they look.

Housing
This is another popular topic so I don’t feel like I’d have to delve too deep into it. It’s another way to express ourselves. It’s also another progression path that encourages people to play the game. You can also link the basic housing appearances to professions, adding another market that makes professions worthwhile. Could even use old world materials to give it a little more relevance.

I think the most important thing I want to address out of housing is how garrisons worked. There’s this philosophy behind it that every new feature introduced in an expansion needs to have endgame ramifications. Look at Torghast, for instance. It could have been a cool other form of content to play around with, but it had to be tied to legendaries in order to make it relevant instead of just letting it be its own thing and allowing the players who find it fun play it for fun.

Some content should exist for the fun of it. It doesn’t need to affect how you play the game in all respects. Otherwise people will feel forced to do it and resentful of the fact.

Bonus: Languages!
I think faction divides are less decisive these days. The dangers that come from cross faction communication really don’t quite exist in the open world. As such, let races know cross faction communication. Undead don’t forget Common, let them know it. High elves were part of the Alliance for ages and well integrated into the Eastern Kingdoms community, let blood elves speak Common too. Let Shal’dorei speak Darnassian. If PvP toxicity is a problem, just disable the ability to hear from enemy players while flagged.

Final little nugget I think would be neat: Add the ability to learn languages! There would need to be a system in place to prevent players from learning languages they don’t want to, but I think it’d be fun for, say, Altielle to learn demonic through study. My idea would be to have tomes around the world that you can read once every week to “enable” learning a language, so all you’d have to do after that is start listening to it. Add another way to forget your non-native languages and bam! RPers have a fun progression system to be immersed in. Add non playable race languages too! Learning Kalimag would be rad, same with Draconic.

I’m sure there’s more I might think of later. That’s all the compilation done for the time being, though! If any of this is unclear, check out the full expansion concepts where I outline it a little more concretely. I like to think the posts are very neatly organized for smooth browsing.

Edit: Also I’m well aware a problem I have as a writer is that I tend to have more in my mind’s eye than what I put down on paper. Please feel free to ask specific questions about any of these topics and I’ll gladly clarify.

Also, add the ability to hide the upper and lower halves of robes separately! I want to see legs, Blizzard. LEGS!

5 Likes

That was Tammy linking to one of my posts in this thread instead of the OP, probably by accident. But I like your ideas!

1 Like