The player character is an individual, not the borg

No it isn’t. My body is fuelled by caffeine and sass, it says so on my coffee mug.

But seriously folks, can we move past this inability to separate NPCs from player characters. I am not a character, I am a person using a character to play the game. I am not part of the lore and neither is any of my characters. I might have saved the world many times but nowhere do I get a write up.

I really, seriously don’t get why this is so damned hard to understand. :sunglasses:

lol. the infamous coffee mug defense!

confused look

RP discussion is traditionally done in first person when expressing an in-universe point of view, is it not?

Also Drak’thyr when they first come to SW as well. Shaw was none too pleased to see Wrathion knocking on his front door.

Oh, yeah, people tend to forget that they hold Wrathion responsible for several things including Varian’s death but want warlocks running around willy-nilly with no problems.

1 Like

Cause Wrathion is one individual while Warlocks are multiple different ones?

first it helps to consider the current paradigm regarding cosmic powers. the magic schools have come to the realization that the cosmic powers are essentially just different avenues to arrive at the same destination - et. al, if the goal is to catch a crocodile for lunch, light/fel/shadow/arcane/death/ can all achieve the goal. all have bad and good points, though some are historically harder to imagine as having good points, they nevertheless, have them.

so apply that to classes that use magics that are frowned upon such as fel, void, death or shadow, and realize that if the point is to survive, they will work as well as light or arcane. i think thats where the lore is heading.

Have you read the new questline that’s introducing these new class/race combos? It doesn’t reflect any of that being the reason these races are taking on these powers.

It’s literally nothing beyond “A Nethrezim wants to stir the pot.” Nothing about a necessity for survival. Nothing about taking on dark powers as a necessary evil.

It’s absolute garbage lore reasoning at best.

Edit: No wait, I’m sorry, I was mistaken. A Lightforged draenei who refused to take part in taking that power in was like, “Oh yeah, fel messed up Argus, Draenor, and Azeroth. Maybe this isn’t such a bad thing after all.” Contradicts his own reasoning within the span of two sentences. Still garbage lore.

1 Like

link? is it on wowhead?

It’s still in early stages on PTR, but someone referenced it in the forums twice and even posted a screenshot somewhere, but heck of I knew where exactly, I’ve been posting on so many threads in the past few days that it would be hell to go back and search through them all.

Impositions Quest: (Spoilers from 10.5.) - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

This is the thread that brought it to light.

rather confusing.

I know, that’s what I’ve been saying.

Blizzard isn’t even trying to make the lore behind it make sense.

2 Likes

Though one question… Can we be certain that every lightforged is TEN THOUSAND YEARS old?

Like could easily make some younger be tempted to try out new stuff, especially now that the wind chime ain’t mind-controlling them.

Huh… Apparently “ten thousand years” is such an old trope that the word “myriad” exists from it.

Edit: Phew this time the topic wasn’t wrongly removed for “trolling”.

The naysayers did see this coming. They’re not surprised, just disappointed.

For my own part, I’m not opposed to new races. However when Blizzard first announced that they wanted to open up more class/race combos, they had said they’d need to put in some work to make some combinations work. That makes sense. I didn’t care about Mage or Rogue becoming global since those classes don’t have any super restrictive lore. Warlock however very much does. That doesn’t mean I’m opposed to Warlock opening up, but I do have to ask where the work is.

Blizzard clearly still cares about the lore to some degree. Otherwise there’s no reason to not just open the floodgates right now. And we were promised that there would be some amount of new lore to justify the more restrictive combinations. I’m not asking Blizzard not to open Warlock, I’m asking them to honor their promise.

2 Likes

Isn’t that quest just introducing the new imp customization? I didn’t think it was a lore quest for new races.

You people getting worked up about class/race restrictions and you won’t protest this same rationale with rep grinds and what not.

1 Like

Oh rep grinds is another issue. Stuff should have at least been account bound.

where did i say blizzard will write new lore? im talking about MY story as a draenei warlock.

please read.

To be honest, there should be limited to our own imagination or the world goes insane. We shouldn’t be playing with a screwdriver stabbing plug out lite as a child copying what’s on a TV even though we are adults.

This has since been retconned in shadowlands.