The #nochanges slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy

Classic is not intended to be “an improved experience”.

Classic is not intended to be “the best game possible”.

Classic is “the good AND the bad of Vanilla WoW”. This was explained by Blizzard (by Ion) months ago.

For many years players have been claiming in forums that “Vanilla WoW was better than today’s WoW is”. Blizzard is giving all those players the chance to play both (for NO extra charge) and compare them.

If you don’t like Vanilla, simply admit it. Don’t demand a custom-made game that you would like better. Blizzard is not offering that.

And yes, I said “custom-made game”. Every player’s definition of Classic-plus has a DIFFERENT set of “QoL improvements”. No-one has offered to implement YOUR set for you.

4 Likes

Blizzard isn’t offering you Vanilla or anything close to it. They are offering you a sh1tty, lazy AF port from a Legion Client (it could’ve been made using a Vanilla Client and a new BNET API for Vanilla, anyone who claims otherwise has no idea what they are talking about), with TBC item fixes, and broken spell mechanics.

They are offering a 2006 Vanilla experience with as little changes as possible to work in their modern day infrastructure. You have always argued the technicalities of how it isn’t what they are offering Ezgg. Which others would interpret that you are claiming they are lairs and are just giving something else.
You know that is not true. You know they had to do what makes sense to them business wise and with what is currently working. Maybe they have their own reasons for not doing as what your describing. It isn’t perfect but it is legal. It gives those private server players an official place to play without it being shut down by Blizzard themselves. That’s what really great about Classic as their mission, which they have said verbatim on last years Blizzcon, was to deliver an authentic 2006 WoW experience.

You can argue the technicalities till the last phase of Classic, the truth is that they are giving us what WoW was like in 2006 with as little differences as possible and within their means as a business. I feel there is truly no way of convincing you.

1 Like

No, WE don’t ALL agree with that statement.

1 Like

Correct. They are liars and aren’t providing what they claimed. That or they woefully foocked up the client, refused to beta test said client sufficiently, and are refusing to admit they foocked up. Which is worse? I’m not sure.

Business wise? Yes. It makes sense to screw people over if you think they are still going to stay subbed. Currently working? No.

Possible, but it would make a lot of sense (from their end) to tell us if that was the case. Crickets. Legal? Yes. Perfect? No. Honest? No.

Then they have failed. Anyone active in the Classic Bug Report Forum will tell you as much.

No, you won’t convince me of that until they at least acknowledge the never ending list of game breaking bugs/Non-vanilla item changes/Non-Vanilla spell interactions. I think this is a cash grab that likely originated as a noble concept, but was knee-capped by management (Activision) decisions.

1 Like

Oh, so thats where it all stems from.

Even with replies like this they are still at least trying. I believe they are acknowledging them but I also believe people are impatient and want things right now. Hopefully they will eventually get those bugs in a big update. However, They may leave some bugs in and it may remain as is as they were in vanilla. I’m willing to accept the bugs for now and give them more time as long as they are continuing to communicate it.

Regarding the feign death bug, it took literally dozens of threads to receive a single blue response. Meanwhile, similarly, the vast majority of threads, addressing similarly, if not more, gamebreaking bugs (Mobs stacking thrash and one shotting geared tanks, for instance) have been met with abject silence. There’s a post with a detailed list of Druid bugs, alone, that is a mile long and has been bumped/reposted ad nauseum with no blue replies. The bugs being reported are not Vanilla interactions.

I’d like to see fixing the dungeon drop rates. It’s completely stupid to run scholo 20 times with leather and cloth wearers and see nothing but mail boots drop from the 6 bosses. Or run Jandice 20 times and not see the dreadmist shoulders drop a single time. I’m not looking for personal loot like retail, but I’m also not going to keep wasting my time pointlessly trying to get equipment.

We really can’t assume what they are and what they are not doing by them not posting in everyone’s bug reporting threads. This is normal and no different than any other forum on here. I have no idea how much time is invested to even fix one bug to WoW but I would imagine it would be substantial with how Classic was created. People do need to continue to make threads and bumping them. It’s only been 2 months so lets see what happens after 6 months to a year, hell, even this years Blizzcon maybe they can shead some light on the bug issue.

1 Like

There’s a difference between not posting in everyone’s threads and not responding to a plethora of threads detailing bugs that are likely wiping raids. The thrash bug has been reported since week two of Classic, for instance. Instead of notifying the community that they are aware of such a massively gamebreaking bug, Blizzard has taken the path of not responding in order to make the community second guess itself regarding the origins of “getting windfuried” by mobs. It’s a form of gaslighting and is extremely screwed up. The feign death bug post was a little taste of proper customer support and respect designed to keep us hopeful. You’re welcome to continue thinking the best of this company, but Blizzard has had this MO since even before Activision took over. I’ve seen first hand how they treat their community and it’s been on a slide since Vanilla. “You think you do, but you don’t?” Just look at the GM support now… it’s absolute trash compared to what it was. If you played during Vanilla, you can’t argue with that.

I started my account in March of 05 just to put that out there. I would have to ask what specifically they are absolute trash on before I can make a judgement on that.

I have always seen them targeting bugs one by one and communicating them to the forums on ones that seem to be met with the most concern. While the others are fixed and come out later on in a patch update where there’s no communication needed on their part. So, yes others will be left unacknowledged but I personally don’t feel they go unnoticed. I don’t believe enough time has passed to make the judgement as of yet in my opinion.

If you want changes go to retail, simple as that.
Don’t ruin Classic with that garbage nonsense.

1 Like

Well, for starters this happened:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/02/blizzard-fires-600-employees-vast-majority-not-involved-with-development/ 

Generally, firing a swathe of your customer support reps, with a huge extension of your current IP on the horizon, is a bad idea.

Tickets for issues that would’ve been answered withing a few hours (for instance, I lost gold to a mail bug where it was never properly reflected in my inventory) are taking over 2 days to get a rote, irrelevant reply to. I can go more in depth on that, but suffice it to say that I highly doubt anyone even read my ticket. Previously, it was very common to get a PM in game, with live support, as opposed to the lackluster, pre-formatted response I received after two days. I’ve seen similar reports in the forums and from guild members. I’m not questioning that you played Vanilla, but surely you remember support being of a much higher quality, to a degree that it’s actually kind of laughable how bad it is right now.

Okay, thanks for explaining that further as I wasnt sure what you were refering to, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Got ya, Yeah that’s unfortunate. Sorry about that happening to ya. I would be highly livid if I lost anything through the mail like that. Recently, I have been putting in tickets, 3 in the past 2 weeks to be exact, and I have got a reply everytime after a couple of days. I have not yet seen an in game reply. They have all went to jsut directly answering the ticket outside the game.

Back then Blizzard and Vanilla WoW was huge. The amount of players were huge and so was the support. So yeah I agree the support was amazing and timely. It was better and had most problems solved in a matter of hours. Currently, WoW Classic is running on very minimal support. Almost to a point that it feels like its barely there. I get where you are coming from now that you have explained your reasoning. However, because of how limited of a team they have on Classic compared to Retail since it is atm their main source of World of Warcraft. Classic will be limited on how they are able to resolve certain issues with Classic. This is the first time they have taken legacy software from 15 years ago, combined current programming with old data, and have it being supported. I’d image it take a specialized team of people to be able to support this type of game. It is something that is very different and unique compare to other games on their platform atm.

These reasons in it self give me the belief that because of this we have to give them time on resolving issues. If it were a game they created in 2019 then sure they need to do better but this type of game and how it came into a working state I would have to consider that and give them the benefit of the doubt.

On a quick lunch break.

You don’t, though. By the time we actually get to conversing, you disappear. And we go back to square one with insults and mockery. We never actually have a conversation.

I just told you. And yes, actually. You don’t know nor understand the struggles I have to go through in order to actually post on these forums. Can’t go too much into details 'cause it’s against the rules. But there’s a lot I have to push through in order to have the same posting rights, as everyone else.

And you disappeared after I replied to that, and you just went back to insult and mockery.

Again, that’s a reason to keep making it un-vanilla?

This exactly what I’m talking about! “It’s already not Vanilla, so you shouldn’t be against changes.” It’s the exact excuse needed to guilt trip you into adding back in more changes.

Except it’s not. We’ve already seen people saying “well they’ve already made changes like BNet integration into the game, why not things like new models, transmog, etc.?”

Saying it’s a logical fallacy is logically fallacious.

1 Like

Original reply. Kudos.

Nope. I kept posting in that thread, but hey, you’re already living in an alternate reality. What’s one more distortion?

Rofl, seems like someone got clipped. Shocker…

I’ve yet to have a conversation with you that doesn’t devolve into you yelling about how I’m insulting you by stating your argumentation is fallacious. Since I saw the writing on the wall, I’ve resorted to mocking you whenever you start resorting to such tactics. Play bad faith games, win bad faith prizes.

1 Like

Appearance changes pls

It’s not a slippery slope to not want something in the recreation that wasn’t in the original.

Funny how you can wiki a fallacy, but still don’t understand how to properly assign it.