The #nochanges slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy

Putting a few QoL improvements into Classic won’t destroy the game. Dual spec, dungeon maps, the ability to link items in local chat, guild banks, etc. will improve the Classic experience. The slippery slope argument is logically flawed and y’all need to relax.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
44 Likes

If you want changes , Go play retail.

90 Likes

No. These QoL improvements will make others want MORE. “I want Dungeon Finder”, “I want all flight paths opened when I level”, “I want…”, etc. People need to understand that life isn’t an easy road, nor should Classic WoW, as it shouldn’t be. Let it stand. If you’re that worried about these small “QoL” improvements, go play Retail.

50 Likes

How’s it a fallacy when retail is a literal example of it in action?

61 Likes

I play retail as well as Classic. There’s some great stuff in Classic that I’d love to see in Retail, and vice-versa.

10 Likes

Case closed.

3 Likes

I disagree that they will improve the classic experience.

I don’t need to say it’s a slippery slope, I can just say I disagree that those are improvements.

Go back to retail.

22 Likes

You’re simply restating the logical fallacy.

8 Likes

They will have to make QoL changes to this game if they expect people to continue to play it.

There are already zones with fewer people in them to do group content.

They are just encountering the same things that the original team went through and if they are smart they will make several of the same decisions they did as well.

Because retail sure as hell isn’t keeping people subscribed like it used to.

8 Likes

They don’t HAVE to make changes to the QoL. They HAVE to add more end-game content to keep people striving to be better. I don’t think you and the other one understands that. They only need to ADD content, not make changes to the QoL when it wasn’t in the game during Vanilla.

3 Likes

You don’t really explain how it is a logical fallacy. You just give an opinion.

At any rate, if nothing else No Changes makes everything an easy rule to go by. No arguing about it. Everyone will have different ideas of what small changes are okay. There would be very little consensus. I don’t know how “slippery slope” fits the definition of a logical fallacy, it’s just an assumption being made about what would happen.

Even the examples you give are arguable. Especially dual spec. One could argue that having dual spec hurts the spec identity of a player. I remember when dual spec was released in Wrath. It sounded great and maybe it mostly was, but at the same time, the groups I ran with deteriorated significantly. I started getting what I called “fake tanks” - people joining groups as tanks (or heals) to group quickly even though they had no idea what they were doing as a tank since generally they must dps.

8 Likes

Slippery slope arguments are almost invariably logical fallacies.

4 Likes

well if wikipedia says it… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@Op

You are using a strawman fallacy while complaining about us using a slippery slope fallacy.

Here’s how.

The strawman you are making is that we are arguing that “Yes, qol changes are better for the classic experience but they will lead to a slippery slope”

That is not our argument.

Our argument is QOL changes are WORSE for the classic experience.

How is this possible, you ask? Because the #nochanges crowd has a different definition of “the classic experience” than you.

Our definition of “the classic experience” is making the game exactly like it was in classic. Your definition is something else.

So, in our perspective, any change that deviates from exactly like classic is negative to our definition of “the classic experience”, no slippery slope is needed for us to not want it.

You may then say “well not everything is exactly like classic”. Yes, you are correct. We want those things removed too.

So basically, you are saying our argument is a fallacy, but we never made that argument. You did. It is your strawman argument fallacy.

22 Likes

I mean, this is middle school debate team 101, but you still haven’t explained how it is so in this specific case when we have have seen it demonstrated in the original iteration of WoW.

5 Likes

If nothing else, the Wikipedia article is a good jumping off point for further research.

I think we all agree we want quality of live improvements like transmog / dual spec / dungeon finder / mythic raids / level inflation.

:slight_smile:

Adding QoL or adding additional content are doing the same thing, changing the game.

If Classic WoW was just a cash grab they don’t have to do anything if they want people to continue to play things have to change (no matter what your definition of change is).

1 Like

If players wanted changes, there wouldnt be a chunk of players who went out of their way to play on illegal classic servers the entire time retail has be there, available to them.

They obviously liked the game the way it is. How it felt and what that came with right on down to the inconveniences.

#nochanges.

8 Likes