The Night Elves did NOT get their revenge in 8.1, this is unacceptable!

And denial is added to the list.

Keep this up and I’ll be able to start writing a biography of you with how much you’re telling me about yourself.

1 Like

You literally just lied about what I said… and you continue to insult me.

Holy cow I was on your side but guessing anyone who says anything is now a personal attack against you :sleeping:

1 Like

If you wanted to be a holy cow you’d have rolled paladin.

I have pride so no thanks

Complains about trolling, responds with sass…

IMAX my friend, you really should get a job with them.

Angry nelf thread #9003

2 Likes

Now now, let’s not get genocidal here. I put a lot of work into this character and do not want to be smited into nonexistance. :open_mouth:

Whatever makes you feel better. Stop literally lying though.

You can leave the horde. Join the alliance maybe.

I definitely didn’t asked for that, in this thread I just said that Sylvanas will never pay for what she had done because of Nathanos’s undying love.

2 Likes

/female_belflaugh volume=high

I like your sense of humour! :smiley:

You might not! It can be pretty pointed! See you on the battlefield then!

Emphasizing on:

Shani began by saying that Tides of Vengeance gave the team its chance to “tell a little bit of Tyrande’s story” but that the focus in Nazjatar is going to shift to delve into other characters and to see more of what Sylvanas and Anduin are up to.

and

With Rise of Azshara, the emphasis is on Sylvanas and Azshara herself. They are the focus. There’s just so much happening.”

:man_shrugging:

In their mind 8.1 and 8.2 Sylvanas is what they’re focusing on, Jaina’s storyline ended a long time ago, they didn’t even bother to show us Katherine and Derek’s reunion. Just Jaina asking Derek to meet their family before Derek leave with Calia, or else Katherine won’t forgive her.

Funny how she wanted revenge when she abandoned the people she was sworn to lead and protect to save her boyfriend. Gotz to save muh man!! You random murderhobo #234897234823 try to save as many of the Nelves as you can. Yeah that is totally what I’d want from my faction leader when we are being firebombed in our homes.

1 Like

A friend of mine gave me the tee shirt from the Warcraft movie, and I realized how symbolic it is for how Blizzard writes each faction. The tee shirt has a large, red silhouette of an Orc, the centerpiece of the design. If you look closely, there is, contained within the negative space, the silhouette of an armored Human, made of from the cloth of the shirt.

This is how Blizzard tells the story of WoW - with the Horde’s story center and clearly defined, and the Alliance’s told only within the negative space, not existing in its own right, but only within the context of the Horde. Remove the Horde, and the Alliance’s story dissipates. Meanwhile, remove the Alliance, and the Horde’s story still holds.

This is why Tyrande’s “vengeance” is unsatisfying. If you have never played Horde, you have no idea what the death of one of those val’kyr means, and even if you did know, the death of a rando val’kyr has no narrative weight. Basically, it’s the “See, nobody cares” meme of plot elements.

It would be different if Blizzard had a final warfront cinematic which clearly shows the Night Elves winning Darkshore, but to do that, you need to have a cinematic where the Horde clearly loses, and Blizzard won’t do that to the Horde. Just look at the opening cinematic for BfA: The Alliance watches the World Tree burn, the Horde get away scott free and we go through a quest where we are set up to fail, and everyone dies - designed purely to p*** off Alliance players. Meanwhile, the Horde not only saves their civilians, but the leaders of the Horde sail off, flipping Alliance players the bird in the process.

And nowhere is the emotional set up paid off in the entirety of the expansion. “Dazar’alor” you say! Piffle! I reply. For one thing, the Zandalari had nothing to do with the burning of the World Tree. For another, Dazar’alor ultimately was another Alliance failure, as we were meant to capture, not kill, the king. We then became bystanders in the climax of the Horde story.

It would have been one thing if the Alliance actually had a flowing plot, where we see rising tensions, where Tyrande’s heel-turn on Anduin had been built up to, but instead we get edited highlights of the Alliance story; the equivalent of “last time, on ‘As the Alliance Turns’”.

I am fairly certain when Blizzard says “Tyrande got her revenge” it is fully under the conceit that they know the whole story as to why, and they are not looking at it from the player’s point of view, where we are missing major chunks of narrative to come to a similar conclusion. And while I understand the constraints a game places on telling story, a) Blizzard tends to put gameplay at the expense of story and b) Blizzard managed to tell the Horde’s side pretty well, and far better than the Alliance’s once you get past the leveling story.

For me, there is no revenge until the Horde NPCs, in game, openly admits their wrongdoing in burning the Tree, makes a gesture towards restitution and the Night Elves are either vindicated for the egregious harm done to them or at the very least, they are restored of their Capital, whether or not it is Hyjal or a regrown Teldrassil (and yes, this also comes with the insistence that the Forsaken get their home city back as well). Until then, whatever we played through to date does not come close to resolving the narrative, or even satisfying advancing the plot in any way.

The story of the Night Elves in BfA is poorly executed and reads as nothing more than fodder for shock narrative that Blizzard walked back quietly when the concept backfired. It does Night Elf players a grave disservice, especially in light of the tone-deaf approach to the first set of Allied Races. I would not wish this approach on any other WoW race, not Alliance, and not Horde. It is just badly executed, designed to make players bitter and holds no nuance. There is no structural flow, no cadence, no providing the player with both the ups and downs good storytelling provides. We are set up to feel angry, humiliated and impotent, and then we are left hanging for the rest of the expansion.

It seems that Blizzard wanted to be GRRM in the worst way, and in some regards, they achieved that. The problem is that even if they achieved GRRM in the best way, the emotional turmoil in Game of Thrones is too nuanced for a video game. Adding narrative depth in an MMORPG can be done, as other MMORPGs have shown. But to do that, you have to be invested in the entirety of the narrative, not just one side. Blizzard continues to see WoW through only the eyes of the Horde. The Alliance remains the perpetual playable NPC faction and I don’t see that changing. The only advice I can give to Blizzard is that there are other emotions besides anger and sadness that make for compelling storytelling.

4 Likes

If it’s still not compelling enough, the alliance won back Gilneas, and they added one alliance flag in that ghost town. Yes a single tiny flag in a city symbolizing alliance’s victory.

1 Like

the Val’kyr are NOT recreatable for Sylvanas

3 Likes

A 469 mm hunter who cant get aotc no worries see you on the battlefield

You mean the guild I’ve been with over 10 years? We raid when we raid and aren’t elitist about who we bring; it’ll happen probably pretty soon. We always get the job done.