The Night Elves are not abandoning Kalimdor

I agree that this all feels like work on a patch that Blizzard had already begun before we got to finish the Dream Wardens’ storyline, rather than something they only just created after response to the campaign conclusion quests.

Feralas makes sense, given that there’s a major Night Elf garrison there.

There seems to have been some misinterpretation that the Night Elves had lost their holdings in Feralas:

Given Wowpedia is a now abandoned fansite, not a lore source. And Zekhan clearly did not take a thorough look at many of Kalimdor’s loctions. But the latest we heard about Feralas was from Shandris’ journal on Amirdrassil:

There was nothing I could have done to stop the naga from taking Feathermoon Isle.

I have rebuilt my home

Which obviously reflects the new Feathermoon Stronghold directly on the cost now that has been around since Cataclysm.

3 Likes

Also weren’t the Horde vehemently at war with the Alliance (especially the Night Elves) at the time? Having your opponent think your place is abandoned is a good guerilla tactic, which NEs are good at. Especially with the whole racial invisibility.

No, this book is AFTER the fourth war. Having said that the Alliance “neither endorsed nor welcomed” the Horde representative to travel in Night elf land.

It is clear Zekhan was only talking about “Old” feathermoon stronghold considering it said you can see it from the Forgotten Coast. New Feathermoon is on the forgotten coast itself.

2 Likes

double checks

Ah okay my bad, I thought it was Zekhan and Saurfang, it’s Zappy Boi and Rexxar.

1 Like

Pretty much all that happens this patch is a response to the feedback from the past 5 years.
I don’t think we would’ve gotten anything otherwise

2 Likes

That’s essentially what happened in BfA anyway lol

I’d wager the Forsaken would still be refugees and the “Tyrande Strikes Back” arc would have concluded at Darkshore had fans not revolted against BfA’s godawful faction war and the general ruination of the Sylvanas character.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure they admitted in an interview that ALL of the Night Warrior/Tyrande Strikes Back stuff was added on the fly due to the backlash, why it took until SL to be fully implemented.

5 Likes

I mean people saying this is response to feedback to the ptr.

2 Likes

The irony is that the Horde would have handily won the Fourth War if two of the following items were true.

1. Sylvannas honestly pursued the war with her stated intentions and not burned Teldrassil.

2. Saurfang had obeyed orders and killed Malfurion when he had the chance.

3. Sylvannas had judged the worgen correctly.

I’m really skeptical that killing Malfurion would have had the desired effect. The whole thing about the night elves is that they keep to their duty/beliefs no matter how hard it is or how bad things get.

And Malfurion dying is no Sundering or betrayl from Azshara.

3 Likes

If Sylvanas had not misjudged the Gilneans she wouldn’t have had anything to sell her lies to Saurfang with. So seems kinda the opposite, in that if Sylvanas had not misjudged the Gilneans Sylvanas wouldn’t have been able to start the War of the Thorns, let alone totality of the Fourth War.

2 Likes

Not quite because the storylines were fundamentally flawed. The fact that the Horde could just push through Ashenvale and Darkshore so quickly by foot already didn’t make sense, the fact that the Night Elves sent away all of their defenses didn’t make sense, and then the intercontinental catapults and everything…

Let alone the fact that no Horde leaders should’ve been on board with starting a war.

The point is that if the writers want it, they’ll abandon all logic and canon just to do whatever plot they want like they did in BfA.

10 Likes

IMO, if anything, killing Malfurion would have brought about a Night Warrior/Tyrande Strikes Back style counter-offense much sooner, and would have included the entire Cenarion Circle. Likely including the tauren.

Killing Malfurion sounds like a very bad idea because of the many ways it could backfire.

9 Likes

That was the whole point of that game of deception where between them, Sylvannas, Nathanos, and Saurfang play Shaw, Anduin, and Tyrande like flutes.

The Horde is no stranger to forest warfare, that was a key part in their strategies in fighting the Alliance back in the good old days and after Thrall started liberating orcs from the concentration camps.

And it helped immensely that thanks to that shell game I mentioned earlier that the Horde outnumbered the Night Elves eight to one and that the Kaldorei were taken completely by surprise.

Why? The Horde is a culture based on war, just like the Klingons that Trekkies obsess over to the point of actual Klingon language institutes being a real life thing. Right up to it’s last moments, Saurfang is clearly enjoying the war and the challenge it brings. Despite having been all PTSD and angsty about the slaughters he had participated in the First War. So do most of the orcs and others who fight it. And from his perspective it’s either break up the Alliance now or face extinction by the same in a couple of generations.

The problem with BFA was not the concept but the execution. From the same kind of stupid missteps that Marvel did with Civil War which was supposed to be about conflicts between two equally valid sides, but the Stark end got totally fubared by being fronted by the worst of Marvel’s universe.

I’m not doing this again. It has been discussed to death already why the entire War of Thorns was nonsensical.

If you feel like it made sense the way they implemented it, then so be it

3 Likes

You aren’t paying attention are you. I have said repeatedly that the issue was the execution.

The venue is called warcraft,so an expansion devoted to… War isn’t exactly beyond the pale. It could have been, should have been done much better than it was.

1 Like

Ironically the opposite is true, the only thing that allowed Sylvanas’ strategy for the War of the Thorns to work out as much as it did was that Warcraft’s war stories are not well thought out.

12 Likes