The Night Elves are not abandoning Kalimdor

For being called ‘Warcraft’ they’re not really good at crafting war.

Heh.

11 Likes

Orgrimmar is full of spies, but none actually tracked the enemy army.

Portals can work for extended periods across the world, but for some reason only to the extent to evacuate civilians.

Like it didn’t even make sense inside that same story.

10 Likes

This is…promising. But from a narrative standpoint, unless Blizzard is, say, making Hyjal a “city” (which I am not against in the slightest) or saying that Feathermoon Stronghold is strengthened as a Night Elf military base, how on Azeroth do you “govern” remotely like this? The logistics are insane. There is no way the Night Elves could respond militarily from this distance, unless Blizzard is saying that Western Kalimdor and Eastern Eastern Kingdoms actually are closer than they appear. But then why risk sailing past the maelstrom?

Now, if, perhaps, the Night Elves are able to use their own slice of the Emerald Dream to utilize the existing portals, and we see the use of the portals as druids use, maybe?

Rather, I wonder if the goal Blizzard has is to simply make having a military presence a non-issue, with the cities becoming more akin to what we see in FFXIV and open across factions.

it is encouraging to know at least that Blizzard has this in the back of their minds.

They are not. Otherwise, The War Of Thorns would have gone much differently. Lorewise, portals take a tremendous amount of energy to maintain, IIRC. The portal rooms and such are primarily for gameplay purposes. But IDK, maybe there’s a handwavey explanation.

1 Like

The dragons didn’t even protect Nordrassil in WC3, which at the time still had ALL the energy of the Well of Eternity

2 Likes

Yes, all this nonsense about dragons and night elves being friends in harmony, when in reality, they never cared before, not even the Sundering when they had to pressured because of the Legion, and they were still Aspects.

The Kaldorei should definitely resent them for not helping them in all their previous struggles against being exterminated.

4 Likes

With portals, “remotely” is not exactly much an issue. Tyrande can literally pop up in any major night elf settlements.

This will address the issue of Tyrande being able to overview kaldorei lands but it doesn’t solve the problem of movilizing military troops in the events of a war.
We had this same issue during the WoT when no army could use portals to go help Night Elves. Portals were at best only used by civilians to escape.

1 Like

Presumably this issue is not a pressing one, this is how it was justified in “a good war”

But the Broken Shore had altered the balance, hadn’t it? The disastrous counterstrike against the Legion had destroyed a significant portion of both factions’ fleets, and the months of warfare that followed only made the problem worse. The Horde and the Alliance still had strong positions on every continent, but they now lacked the means to reinforce them or maneuver their troops to another front.

Until our navies are rebuilt, the high seas are wild again.

That would take years to change. And once that happened, yes, that stalemate would return, and war would become too costly to pursue.

Now both sides have likely rebuilt their respective navies and total war will mean just that. If the Horde attempts another take over of Kalimdor. The blood elves, forsaken, high mountains and nightborne will be quick targets by the Alliance.

Not really if we go by map distribution.

On Kalimdor we have Night Elves (fewer numbers than before WoT) and Draenei against Orcs (arguably the strongest race and center of the Horde’s Power), Tauren, Trolls and Goblins.

But on EK side (including Broken Isles) things even out a bit. We have Humans, Dwarfs, Gnomes and Worgen against Forsaken, Blood elves, Nightborne, HM Tauren, Goblins. Throw in there all respective allied races.

So Horde on EK is not really that defenseless. They have quit a lot of back up to call upon.

Unless my map is missing some zones, there’s no real Highmountain Tauren of Bilgewater Goblin settlements anywhere on the EK, so let’s agree that was a mistake.

The EK side of things is probably why another total war situation shouldn’t happen, at least from a Horde perspective. Sure, we’re reclaiming the Undercity and ultimately didn’t lose much, but that’s really not the problem.

The problem is a returning Gilneas, with a whole port.

Previously, if the Alliance wanted to push back against the Horde on the Eastern Kingdoms, they had a lot of logistical problems; moving troops from their nearest major stronghold (Ironforge) required a pretty long land journey, including across a singular bridge, and almost every patch of land they cross is contested, without any place to resupply along the way.

By water you had Stormwind, which just so happened to be the nearest port as well; not at all useful. The only workaround is a forced landing in Lordaeron, which only works if the Horde throws the majority of its military assets, including the Forsaken’s military assets, a whole continent away, making it impossible for them to mount a defense.

Now?

Gilneas can resupply a land army, act as a port for a naval force, will have a defense force of their own, and will be right next door to Undercity and it’s holdings.

The Horde’s EK presense will have gone from effectively everything north of the Thandol Span to just the north corner of that same territory, just by Gilneas existing again and as a part of the Alliance.

I don’t agree with including the Broken Isles into an Eastern Kingdom offensive, because that too requires a naval force to move their forces; something the Highmountain Tauren simply don’t have (they’re landlocked and stuff) and the Nightborne don’t yet have (though presumably they could gain one), so getting troops from the Broken Isles to support the EK Horde is no easier than the Night Elves reinforcing Kalimdor, or being a second prong to an attack against the EK Horde. And that’s without addressing the fact Kul Tiras too could offer quite a lot of naval support against the EK Horde. The Zandalari offer a small counter to this, but it’s hardly necessary to involve them or Kul Tiras at this point; there’s too much stacked against the EK Horde for either force to matter much.

And if you want to use the “but they could just magic or fly there” argument, then the defenseless Kalimdor argument is moot, because Alliance forces would also be bound by that argument; they too could just magic or fly there. Having a large presence anywhere is effectively moot. If they need one, they magic one there or fly one there, simple as that.

And before the old chestnut of “but the writers will do what the writers want”?

You’re right, they will. And right now, they want us to come home. It’s their big advertising push; Stop playing Final Fantasy, and please come back to us!! The writers want us to come home. Bringing back a story element that has twice made people run away from home (Cata’s and MoP’s massive sub drop, and BfA/SL’s… Everything) sounds exactly like what they never want to do again.

Yeah but BG3 released Patch 5 so… I am going to have to do another play through.

2 Likes

I do not know what that means!!!

:frowning_face:

what do you mean you don’t know what that means?

When I said EK side I was trying to talk about thah half of the world near Eastern Kingdoms which would include Broken Isles, Kultiras and Dragon Isles.

I didn’t know what a BG3 patch 5 meant, but then I took a sip of coffee and figured it out.

Sometimes I should post less and drink coffee more.

1 Like

World gets better with some coffee in it for sure.
Btw my sub runs out today and honestly I don’t think I will renew for a long while until the next expansion.
The previews I see from Amirdrassil are pretty meh and I don’t feel compelled to keep the sub going until I see it for myself.

Anyway last we talked you were inbetween jobs, I hope everything sorted itself out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m actually back at the old job with “new” managers above me (IE I got promoted above the person giving me problems). There was a medical issue that made me disappear for a year, but that worked out very well and I’m healthier physically and mentally than before.

Thank you for how supportive you were back then, by the way!! I never forgot it.

:heart:

5 Likes

Wonderful, glad to hear that.

1 Like

I’m still not really convinced. There’s speculation from other people that Amirdrassil either might be the next capital city or that it should with the Dragon Isles being the next leveling section when The War Within hits. Which lore wise for roleplayers would add for confusion. Though to be fair having Darnassus as the capital added confusion with there being 100-10k year old Night Elves being born in Darnassus.

Logistically having Nordrassil would have been the better option or a village near it in Hyjal as since the Sundering that was the home of the Night Elves.

1 Like