The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes

This thread has NEVER been necroed. It’s been ongoing since it began four and a half years ago. I think the biggest gap in posts has been about 6 days, but 3 days have been the usual as of late.

Go ahead, scroll through the thread. See if you can find any gaps that indicate a necro. At least if you do look through it, it will be more than Blizzard’s done–even if you don’t read any of the posts.

5 Likes

I scrolled back through the thread myself, and saw the posts don’t have their dates directly visible anymore. But if you hold your cursor over the “date” (whether it says “3d” or “6d” or “Aug '19”) it will display the exact day and time of the post.

While posting has slowed from what it was to start, this thread has never stopped being active. That’s because we still haven’t seen the fix Ion claimed they were working on, and a few of us use this thread as a reminder to Blizz that we were told the permissions removal was unintended and that a fix was coming. Not that posting here makes any difference.

5 Likes

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”.

2 Likes

Oh boy…now you did it. You rattled the hornet’s nest…

1 Like

Che, bro. Why’re you only 62? Tell your player to get off whatever character they’ve been using and take you out for a spin! You deserve better.

I’m good. 4/8 Heroic. Creating the Community, now over 700 members strong (and counting)

Has really expanded our Guild’s efforts…

Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ…ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ

Wow. Over 5100 posts so far. That’s quite a lot for a thread that has mostly been on life support the last year or so. It hit 5k on Oct 22, so that’s averaging a post a day since. (I’m too lazy to do the actual math, but it’s less than four months, which is generally +/- 120 days.) It’s not an especially popular thread, but it’s a long-standing one.

It would be great if the fix for the permissions finally came through and we could let this thread go to its long-deserved rest.

4 Likes

Still here. Still wanting granular permissions.

I know guilds have been coping now for more than four long years. So what? Coping with something isn’t the same as having it working right.

It’s been asked before, and I’ll ask again, what’s so hard about putting check boxes by each of the permissions under “is officer”? Nothing else has to change. Just give us the option to divide the permissions among officers.

4 Likes

It probably doesn’t neatly map to their Communities permissions, which was the real point of the original change. “If we tie guilds to this and enforce its use we can say we’ve got a Discord killer!”

2 Likes

But why would it have to do that? Guilds and communities are not the same thing. I mean, you’re probably right, but why does it have to be that way? Yeah, that’s not really something you can answer, since you’re not the person who came up with the “brilliant” idea to do this.

This whole thing was definitely a case of “fixing” something that wasn’t broken, but now it is.

3 Likes

It is strange, I visit this thread as a form of self-flagellation.
I open, read and post even knowing that Ion has not kept his word.
Ahh well here is another scar on my back.

4 Likes

I was just reading an article about an apparently disastrous virtual town hall meeting between Blizzard’s president and employees. The employees were made to feel unsupported and unappreciated (among other things).

It made me realize there’s literally no hope for us to have our problem solved if this is the culture of the company. I feel very bad for all those employees.

5 Likes

Despite the hopelessness of our cause, I will continue forward.

Please complete the fix of our granular permissions that Ion claimed was in the works. Thank you.

3 Likes

My private theory is that this change is a bullet point in someone’s accomplishments and they are gonna hang onto it with their TEETH.

“What do a bunch of people who actually play the game know about what they need day-to-day anyway? Simplifying these boxes that do whatever tested huge with everybody I polled in my cubicle when I changed it!”

I bet it’s the same [REDACTED] who keeps sneaking in that #$%! Superman 64 ring flying course into every expansion…

4 Likes

This isn’t a bad theory. Ion said the change was unintentional, but he also said they were working on a fix. That was years ago. The possibility that he was prevaricating comes to mind.

3 Likes

Bother. I always hope each post will be my last because we finally got our granular permissions fixed. Maybe this one will be the magic one…
:rofl:

5 Likes

I sometimes wonder what my WoW life would be like if the permissions hadn’t gotten messed up. I had recently made my guild and recruited players. I was ready to try to make it an active, useful guild. But then the permissions became all-in-one. I didn’t know most of my members, so I had no idea who I could trust with officer permissions. I felt stuck with doing it all myself–something I couldn’t do.

So, the guild became an “alt guild” - a guild for rarely played alts or characters people wanted to level on their own, but still have guild perks. This character became one of the rarely played alts. Players who wanted a more active guild moved on to new guild homes. I hope they found what they were looking for and are still playing.

I’ve pretty much lost the desire to run a guild. Shadowlands almost made me stop playing WoW altogether. I don’t know if a return of granular permissions would revive my guild dreams or not, but I do know that without them, there’s no chance this guild will ever be what I once dreamed it could be.

6 Likes

Poking Blanchy because I have nothing better to do right now.

Well, that’s not true. I have a LOT of better things to do than post in a thread that hardly anyone–and especially no-one from Blizzard–ever reads. But I’m posting anyway because guild permissions are an integral part of running a guild. Being able to assign them as an individual GM wants, as opposed to having a huge chunk of them linked to “is officer,” would really help most guilds.

A check box by each permission is all I ask. Either that, or an explanation why this can’t be done. Is that really too complex?

6 Likes

It’s not too late to add the promised fix into 10.0.7…

I mean… they won’t add it…but, it’s not too late if they have a wave of “let’s live up to our promises” strike the building…

5 Likes