The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

This is sadly, too true.

Guild permissions are just a drop in the bucket, and fixing them is unlikely to bring anyone back. But separating the permissions out again will show that Blizzard does listen, and does come through with promised fixes.

It would also help Guild Masters with their guild management, giving them some of the tools they need to keep their guilds active and vibrant. As has been said over and over again in this thread and others, healthy guilds keep players playing. Guilds are the backbone of MMO’s like WoW.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I fear this thread will hit 5000 posts long before we see any movement on this issue–even though posts are becoming few and far between. That’s a pretty dismal commentary about the state of the game these days.

6 Likes

I come here to continue pushing for a return of granular guild controls, but damn it is hard not to be discouraged.

I visit each day to like posts to ensure this issue doesn’t quietly sip away and die alone in the void.

I know some have the optimistic view that guilds may get some extra love as cross-faction is coming, and cross factions guilds are also on the books, and as a result, granular guild controls may be “fixed” as part of these features but I remain unconvinced.

5 Likes

It is the pc police.

Seeing is believing. After Ion said they were working on a fix (years ago), I won’t be convinced until I log in and can actually assign different permissions to different officers. But I do remain hopeful that it will happen one day.

5 Likes

while i still have some hope I have zero faith Ion will be true to anything promised. He’s already said no to player housing even with the programming and mechanics already available with slight modifications necessary, same thing with the guild UI. They just need to go dumpster diving in the archives to retrieve the coding

2 Likes

I just had a notification of a like on a post I made just over two years ago in a thread regarding guilds. I did mention this issue in the post, and called on Blizz to show more love for guilds. But my point here is that players obviously still care about guilds if they’re reading ancient threads about them.

The problem this thread is concerned with cropped up almost four years ago with the BfA prepatch. I know there was a pandemic and all, but that happened well after the permissions were wrecked and Ion claimed a fix was in the works. While I’m still hoping for that fix, it’s a good thing I haven’t been holding my breath.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m checking in again to make sure my voice is heard. Everyone contributing to this discussion needs to keep doing so, as well as convince others to post here and like comments. It takes very little effort to stay engaged with this. Even if we get no resolution on this problem, we can still keep the thread alive to bring light to the incompetency and stubbornness of whoever is making decisions about this issue in WoW.

As of now, I have only assigned a couple people in our guild with the “Is Officer” check box since there are certain permissions I will not assign to 99% of members. As a result, those 99% of guildmates don’t have access to features I think they should have, such as editing public notes. This is because eight privileges are all lumped together in a one-size-fits-all definition of “an officer,” as defined by someone at Blizzard. This is a problem.

I’ve been playing WoW since March of 2005, raiding since Molten Core of 2005, and leading our guild as guild master since TBC in 2007. I’ve been developing as a leader and manager for 14 years now. I know our guild and how to effectively manage it, not some stranger at a company who knows nothing about us. That’s as politely as I can say it. Please get out of the way of myself and other guild masters.

Please give us the individual permission customization we had prior to patch 8.0. That’s all I’m asking for. Guilds have been less fun and more cumbersome without granular permissions. Guilds already have many challenges to deal with in modern WoW, as Blizzard has removed incentives to be a part of a guild and added incentives to do otherwise, such as through group-finder systems, overtuned mythic raid content, and many other things.

For further recommendations to help guild management, add a complete log/record system for the guild bank so the guild master can keep track of cumulative records on gold deposits, gold repairs, gold withdraws, item deposits, and item withdraws. Make it sortable by player. If WoW developers can create and maintain a statistics tab with all kinds of totally useless information for my character’s history, they can add a feature that lets me keep track of guild bank records. That would actually help guilds and their leaders manage things like donations rather than have to make Google sheets and such.

Please address this problem. This thread began on July 17, 2018. We’re now at May 28, 2022. That’s absolutely absurd. A shame, really. I’m loyal to the game, the product, and the company. There’s an expectation of that being returned by listening to the feedback of the guild masters who keep many communities running and raiding alive. A lot of people who still play this game are hanging on by a thread. Stop alienating your players, especially guild masters who keep things together and generate literal dollars for the company by maintaining guilds.

Many other recommendations to help guilds have already been provided in this thread. The information is here. You have what you need, and the “discussion” has already occurred. Read it, and pass the information along to the next group of people who need to make the corrections. Failure to do so will just further the stereotypes of poor communication and the apparent growing disregard for the guild community of WoW.

Regarding “communities,” they are going to create new types of problems for guild leaders and managers such as myself. I have people on our mythic raid team that want to swap to Alliance when cross-faction comes out, but cross-faction players can’t be in the same guild. If I have both Horde and Alliance players on my mythic raid team, and I can’t manage them all under one guild, it’s going to create gigantic headaches for me in various ways. For starters, it’s going to further distance players from each other, which will continue to slowly degrade teamwork. It’s going to hurt cohesiveness and encourage players to further move into their own Discord servers and “communities.” It’s going to create more cliques, and this will make guild and raid team management harder and harder, which isn’t a sustainable team gameplay model, which is what raiding is all about, especially mythic raiding. Mythic raids are already overtuned and incredibly tedious to begin with.

It feels like the Blizzard team is just totally unaware of what’s going on with their players.

I will continue to check in here until the change is made. Everyone else needs to do so, too.

Wretchedmist
GM of Obsidian Spur - Thrall realm
2004 Horde launch guild

4 Likes

At this point I am beginning to see no matter which guild I join there is zero communication, talking or playing together. Nobody talks in open world content much and if you decide to enable Wpvp you only see maxxed out pvp’rs 
 its not fun

4 Likes

There was a time when my guilds were really active and a lot was going on in chat, and people would come help each other out. Now all my guilds are dead, except for one or two where I have characters that I rarely play. I only play with my friends now.

I don’t know if fixing the guild permissions or doing any of the other numerous suggestions made previously in this thread will change things. There are still a few active guilds out there, but they seem to be the minority. It might make a difference which realm(s) you play on. If you want an active guild, you might have to keep looking.

6 Likes

I know there will be no changes or improvements to guilds tomorrow.

Still, I also know I’m going to log in with a faint glimmer of hope and check my guild controls.

I wonder if there’s something wrong with me.

4 Likes

Haven’t been able to log in. Keep getting a “World Server is Down” message. When I looked at the support forums, I saw some threads that were saying guilds disappear when their GM’s log on. Maybe I was saved by the world server bug.

And here I thought Blizz wouldn’t do anything for guilds with this patch.
:rofl:

4 Likes
3 Likes

This thread definitely needed a soundtrack.
:musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: might not go well with the Lords of Dread mosh pit but i’ll give it a go lol

2 Likes

I thought this one is better, more straightforward.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Classic.
(“At least an honorable mention
”)

3 Likes

The guild UI and the Friends List work properly in Classic. Remember that that means it’s possible to fix everything, they just don’t want to.

3 Likes

I do believe it’s a matter of misplaced priorities on their part. They think guild permissions aren’t that big a deal. They aren’t recognizing the “broken window” effect. (That’s a theory about how a neighborhood goes downhill when broken windows aren’t fixed.)

Healthy guilds are important to the overall health of the game. Making it easier for Guild Masters to manage their guilds in ways that suit their particular guilds seems like a no-brainer. But, as we’ve seen, obvious solutions don’t appear to be so obvious to the folks in charge at Blizz. I sincerely hope we don’t have to wait for Microsoft to take over to get this fixed.

3 Likes

Hey Ythisens,

It’s been juuuuuust under 4 years now. Anything to share?

Thanks,

1 Like

Sadly, Yth isn’t with us any more. Blizz sacked him a couple years ago. There are times when I’d gladly forgo a permissions fix to get him back, but I’ll bet he’s not dumb enough to want to work for Blizzard again.

3 Likes