The kelfin love/allied race discussion thread ✿

You should check our a game called Ark: Survival Evolved. There is a creature there called a Pelagornis. You’d enjoy it.

2 Likes

It’s so creepy!! I like it! Hmm… :face_with_monocle: Good Horde colors too now that I think about it. :otter: <3

1 Like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/700806725783126106/700839344667230218/Screen_Shot_2020-04-15_at_3.09.42_AM.png

Crab goblin bruisers for the win! Big heads up though. This is like just a mish mash of model pieces. Try to picture it like if this was a professionally done unique model.

2 Likes

Pelagornis was a real bird. Living about 25 million years ago, it is the largest flying bird known to date, beating out Argentavis (this is because a lot of Argentavis stuff made its wingspan too large)

Its family, the Pelagornathidae, are also called pseudo-tooth birds. As they’re birds who decided to just, get teeth again.

2 Likes

Actuallyyyy~ I have it! :smiley: That game is alot of fun! But I really wish they had more passive tames… Atleast one flyin mount to tame…passively lol. :otter: <3

1 Like

I have a feeling that the Kelfin were intended to be our Allied Race for 8.3, and then Blizzard decided to do Vulpera instead because of how much people liked them. It would’ve been very fitting for the 8.3 Allied Races to both be different kinds of Gnome/Goblin and both from 8.2 reputations.

Regardless, I hope that Blizzard revisits Kelfin at some point and we get them as an Allied Race. They’re much more interesting than the Vulpera imo.

4 Likes

Oh I know. >.> I’m kinda a nut about the Ark animals. :smiley:

A passive tame flyer… That would be interesting.

The New jet powered one is kiiinda passive tamed I guess… once you get it in the trap… I think… I haven’t gotten to that yet. lol

1 Like

I suspect they were considered early on and Blizzard decided to go with the Vulpera instead. I don’t think it had anything to do with how much folk liked them personally.

Still they’re an amazing race and deserve the AR treatment.

Rather agree. No hate to Vulpera. I like them too. But I really like the Kelfin.

4 Likes

I think Vulpera were planned from the beginning of BFA because they were basically already done at prepatch, but I do believe too that sometime during development they were originally planned. Apparently vulpera and mechagnomes were apassion project. So I suspect whoever is behind the pairing is a rachet and clank fan. Why else would they be the only race we’ve helped in BFA to show up at a capital city that isn’t playable? Like. They could have gone with Sethrak instead of mechagnomes too.

2 Likes

The Vulpera decision was made in the beta.

There was an original Vulpera NPC model that was introduced very early in the beta, the only lasting one of which is the pirate from Freehold. That NPC model showed at Blizzcon and notably didn’t have a tail. However, by the time of release, we have the player-model capable model which… Well, turned up in the beta flagged as “Playable Horde Side” in the same patch they added the Zandalari models so…

Not to rain on the parade, but didn’t goblins allegedly get their allied race with vulpera?

I so wish it had been these kelfin rather than vulpera. Would have made 100x more sense, and they’re pretty cool. So good luck, but I dont have much hope. Vulpera was not only a stretch as a goblin allied race, but it was the jackpot of “allied races”.

Nothing stopping Blizzard from using the same rig more than once. They never actually said they wouldn’t.

2 Likes

All i really do in that game is hang out by the sea, standin on wild sharks, dive with my scuba gear… n play with my pet otter too of course! :otter:
Building stuff is tons of fun too !

Yes technically they could have made 8 goblin allied races and none for the others.

I hope it happens, but like I said vulpera was the jackpot so it may be… awhile or never.

I don’t think there should be one of the other tbh although I am bias when it comes to gilgoblins. Both would have been great partners.

Not to rain on the parade, but didn’t goblins allegedly get their allied race with vulpera?

I so wish it had been these kelfin rather than vulpera. Would have made 100x more sense, and they’re pretty cool. So good luck, but I dont have much hope. Vulpera was not only a stretch as a goblin allied race, but it was the jackpot of

“allied races”.

Heh. Its not much of a parade to begin with. It would be a parade if gilgoblins suddenly got a model update. But to address that.

Allied race slots are going away in shadowlands so there is no longer this idea of races needing to be paired with certain ones or something like that. I am also suggesting changing up the rig and geometry a bit like zandalari trolls. Another thing also is that some allied races use similar rigs to the other.

1 Like

Kelfin kinda remind me of a cooler “Blue” from the game Overlord, I think I’d play as a shammy Kelfin if there was such an option, so I could be just like them! :otter:

2 Likes

Why not kelfin customization for goblins since they’re both goblins?

Kelfin and Goblins are remarkably different.

The quickest retort to that is that Kelfin are aquatic… they’d have different racials on that alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Idk… That’s kind of okay with me… But then players would lose out on, racials, heritage armor, new mount, and…and…things ! :otter:

Gilgoblins have enough physical differences they’d need a separate model. Anything involving different textures can work for customisation, but once you get model changes, they need models

See Mechagnomes for the classic example of this. They flat-out use regular gnome skins but because of their arms/legs, they can’t be a customisation. Gilgoblins aren’t as different, but there’s enough to them physically they’d need a new model

1 Like