The Kaldorei Conundrum

I will have to check Chronicles to be sure, then do some cross referncing as needed if I can still pull up the information.

That’s not right either, due to the WOTA books, which exist in sort of a in between Canon and not. Not that I’m saying Chronicles doesn’t say that.

But again, even that aside, Tyrande has been the sole leader after the WOTA in any official capacity.

"@Loreology When Malfurion banned Illidan, he had the authority to? Could Tyrande disregard that? Maiev hunting Illidan, was that supported?"

“Tyrande led the drive to reform night elf society after the WotA. Most saw Illidan’s actions as dangerous.”

Again, there’s a whole slew of things saying this, but at this point most of them are pretty hard to find. Even the wowpedia database of tweets is out of date, Copeland’s Twitter is shut down, and now with forum archives being gone.

There’s so much lore that’s just gone for good now. :frowning:

Even if I am misremembering something I can’t go back to the source and check, and have to use remembered tweets and conversations from years ago.

I think Copeland’s Loreology twitter account was unfortunately another source of misunderstandings and why it was never brought back up again.

Christie Golden clarified Copeland’s role at Blizzard:

Any information Copeland tweeted was taken from the history books, unless stated as his own opinion.

He had made a new one for answering questions on it briefly but left again after some issues I won’t get into out of respect for his privacy.

But yes, Copelands answers were always from established in house lore.

Of which there were inconsistencies even internally within Blizzard, hence the creation of Chroncile.

Well, yes.

And like every lore source before it, it will slowly erode and be reconned. Like the Titan deaths.

It’s just how it is.

Warcraft is too big to maintain cohesive timelines.

We do now also have the Titan-perspective angle for Chronicle that Steve Danuser brought up last Blizzcon, but that also matches what Copeland says in another part of the above interview:

“My team believes that continuity exists to enhance a story, not to tie the hands of creators,” says Copeland.

That’s more or less always been their stance.

Rule of cool.

They will change something if they think it’s cool or neat, or combine two bits, or gloss over other things.

Their continuity is rubber, instead of steel. It can bend, break, wrap around and be molded.

It’s comic book rules.

That’s not bad, of course, but can get frustrating if you want to try and keep track of things.

I mean, With the Titan perspective thing Chronicles are just the WoW magazine Brain Bronzebeard lore bits on a grander scale. Putting it in to in world perspective gives flexibility

1 Like

The Druids having lead the Night Elves and then left them for the Dream might have made the Night Elves overall even more attached to Tyrande than if the Druids hadn’t lead and left. Jarod himself somewhat addressed this in Wolfheart when he explained why he had disappeared during the Long Vigil himself:

“I had already considered leaving everything . . . long before. I had grown disenchanted with the polarization of our society. Your druids—forgive me, Malfurion—your druids had been becoming more and more remote, spending most of their time away or in the Emerald Dream rather than sharing in the responsibilities of keeping our people safe and secure. . . .”

The archdruid said nothing. He had heard this from others, including Tyrande. The guilt for all those centuries of abandonment still remained with him.

Though only slightly related, Malfurion does openly admit this guilt in Seeds of Faith as well:

“I know that I have been absent too often before—it troubles me. I wish I had been there when Teldrassil was formed, when my brother met his end in Outland…” He sighed. “Yet I cannot change the past. I can only be here now.”

If the Night Elves had prospered so much under the leadership of the Druids, only for the Druids to then leave into the Dream, that abandonment might well have made the Night Elves’ attachment to Tyrande all the stronger, and the guilt of the Druids for having abandoned them make the Druids all the more humble to stay behind Tyrande when they finally rejoined the Night Elves after the Long Vigil.

Though in Val’sharah Tyrande does talk about her and Malfurion working together again as if he had never left:

Tyrande Whisperwind says: Ah, Malfurion, my beloved! For a hundred hundred years he slept beneath Moonglade.
    Tyrande Whisperwind says: Whenever I was plagued with doubt, I would descend into his barrow. I watched over him as he slept.
    Tyrande Whisperwind says: Even in slumber, his presence calmed me. I left my fears below the earth and emerged, ready to lead my people.
    Tyrande Whisperwind says: When Malfurion returned to my side, we worked as one. As if he had never been away. Have you ever loved as I have?

Which would have all of the above reflective of Tyrande’s decisions about their co-leading again in Stormrage:

Long before the eve of the ceremony, the two had already quickly settled any question as to their roles—or rather, Tyrande had. Malfurion knew Tyrande was the best leader his people could have and made no claims in that direction. However, she insisted that there could be no other choice but for the two to rule side-by-side, equal in all things where their race was concerned. She remained high priestess of the Temple of Elune and he the lead archdruid, but now those two stations would have closer ties, which would only benefit the night elves in general.
1 Like

I never said that was head cannon, I mean the fear that the horde would kill him

Kyalin would like to extend an invitation to her discord server to you. It’s centered primarily around discussing Night Elves. A handful of us would actually like to have you join if you’re interested.

I consider that a pretty long time.

1 Like

Sure. Always interested. :slight_smile:

Night Warrior Nelfist#1923 is my discord. Add me and I’ll send you the invite. I don’t want to leave a link to the discord directly open to anyone and everyone.

I am replying to your post to be sure :stuck_out_tongue:

Every propaganda organ in the history of mankind begs to disagree.

On quite a few issues, he’s been the primary voice, the Exile of the Highborne comes to mind. The population at large was demanding death for their crimes in Ashenvale, he commuted that sentence to exile. He was also the one who sentenced his own brother to eternal imprisonment, as well as being the author of the ban on the arcane.

1 Like

So? Are you really saying humans should never evolve past war lol and they say I am cynical

As I’ve said, respected voice. Not leadership.

And it was Jarod Shadowsong that sentenced Illidan to eternal prison. Technically, post war pre restructuring Shadowsong led, as he was in charge of the military host.

Actually time to rebuild civilization, and it was Tyrande.

EDIT: I should clarify… Jarod gave Malfurion the choice to sentence Illidan. It was, technically, Mal that passed judgement, but done so as a favor granted by the leader of the military host when there was, as of yet, no new Government

Did you ever get the chance to check Chronicle on this? Because I don’t see anything in it that contradicts the idea of the Druids leading before the formation of the Sentinels.

I did. You are referring to the bit on page 114.

The Sentinels
9,400 years before the dark portal.

As the Centuries passed, the burgeoning night elf society expanded into the dense forests of Ashenvale, south of Mount Hyjal. Tyrande Whiserpwind, high priestess of the Sisterhood of Elune, led the Night Elves in rebuilding their society.

The key bit here is “As the Centuries passed”. These centuries would be your missing 600 years, where the Night Elven society was expanded into Ashenvale. Not “They started expanding 600 years after the planting of Nordrassil”