The Kaldorei Conundrum

Further reading, in case this thread isn’t long enough:

1 Like

Last I time I checked, neither of those two had a workable ocean port.

Their port is the same as what Teldrassil. A dock.

1 Like

The only water access that Moonglade has is to a small landlocked lake. Hyjal is surrounded by steep clifss that block any access to the ocean.

The two other islands were equally viable ports that the Horde made no attempt to secure. I agree Hyjal and Moonglade don’t have ports, but his point remains.

1 Like

Oddly enough, the Dreamgrove probably could be made into a port for Mount Hyjal, if it was so desired.

You dont fight hate with hate, war is always destructive for everyone, For every day the nelves fight for revenge is a day that nelves die. Thats why the npcs say what they do, cause they are written from that point of view like in real life, the people on the homefront are the ones that experance all the coffins of dead soldiers that come in day after day.

All it has is a rocky coast. No protected harbor and its barred to non-Druids.

Said coast is obvious where one could be made, once again, if so desired.

1 Like

No. Malfurion has not been co-leader for a long time.

He has only ever been co-leader since Cataclysm. More precisely, he was made co-leader by Tyrande at the end of Stormrage. Something Malfurion tried to turn down.

You do stand up for yourself though, and fight for what’s yours.

Tyrande has at no point turned down peace with the Horde. Very specifically, she has said it’s contingent on Sylvanas death

3 Likes

yeah and we’ll see how far it goes, but that doesnt mean that its not right for blizzard to theme it as she is silly or wrong, she has two paths in front of her, one of doing what is needed, and the other of becoming the very thing she is fighting, which one she’ll take? I guess we have to wait and see.

To be clear, the complete eradication of the Horde as a political enemy is well within reason for Tyrande and she has reason to doubt the validity of any peace agreement with said Horde.

They are not trustworthy, and her point.to Anduin about it not mattering who ridesa rabid wolf, because said wolf is still rabid is one that echos the past books that led to Garrosh being put in charge.

While it was ultimately the Twilight’s Hammer behind the deaths in Cataclysm, Thrall made it clear in no uncertain terms to Jaina that he couldn’t condemn the attacks because the Horde would overthrow him and kill him.

This was Thrall.

And Ashenvale is and has been at constant threat due to the Horde.

The history of the franchise has already said Tyrande has tried peace, has ceded land for diplomatic purposes, and has had treaties broken.

We will see how far it goes, but Tyrande has been more than patient

5 Likes

this is headcanon

He was also co-leader before he went into the Dream for the Long Vigil:

The few night elves that survived the horrific explosion rallied together on crudely made rafts and slowly made their way to the only landmass in sight. Somehow, by the grace of Elune, Malfurion, Tyrande, and Cenarius had survived the Great Sundering. The weary heroes agreed to lead their fellow survivors and establish a new home for their people.

Malfurion and the three dragons made a pact to keep the Well safe and ensure that the agents of the Burning Legion would never find their way back into the world.

Under the druids' benevolent leadership, the night elves enjoyed an era of unprecedented peace and tranquility under the stars.

The druids, sensing that their time of hibernation was drawing near, prepared to sleep and leave their loved ones and families behind.

Tyrande, who had become the High Priestess of Elune, asked her love, Malfurion, not to leave her for Ysera’s Emerald Dream. But Malfurion, honor bound to enter the changing Dreamways, bid the priestess farewell and swore that they would never be apart so long as they held true to their love.

Left alone to protect Kalimdor from the dangers of the new world, Tyrande assembled a powerful fighting force from amongst her night elf sisters. The fearless, highly trained warrior women who pledged themselves to Kalimdor’s defense became known as the Sentinels. Though they preferred to patrol the shadowy forests of Ashenvale on their own, they had many allies upon which they could call in times of urgency.

The demigod Cenarius remained nearby in the Moonglades of Mount Hyjal. His sons, known as the Keepers of the Grove, kept close watch on the night elves and regularly helped the Sentinels maintain peace in the land. Even Cenarius’ shy daughters, the dryads, appeared in the open with increasing frequency.

The task of policing Ashenvale kept Tyrande busy, but without Malfurion at her side, she knew little joy. As the long centuries passed while the druids slept, her fears of a second demonic invasion grew. She could not shake the unnerving feeling that the Burning Legion might still be out there, beyond the Great Dark of the sky, plotting its revenge upon the night elves and the world of Azeroth.

2 Likes

No, it’s not. I don’t have the books anymore, but IIRC it was The Shattering, after Night. Elves were found skinned and said skin stretched across trees with the Horde symbol painted across it

2 Likes

It was indeed in The Shattering:

Jaina continued. “A lot of people, Varian included, felt that you didn’t do enough to address the situation after it happened. Publicly decrying all aspects of this incursion would go a long way to mending the Alliance’s image of you and the Horde both. And let’s face it—it wasn’t a little scuffle. This was horrific.”

“It was. And turning over suspected criminals to Alliance justice would be a horror that my people would never recover from. It would shame them, and I will never do that. They would seek to overthrow me, and they would be right in doing so.”

She regarded him evenly. “Thrall, I don’t think you fully appreciate the direness of the situation. It’s not going to do much good for you to tacitly approve something you deplore if it brings war upon the Horde.”

Technical nitpick, but Tyrande did not cede Azshara to the Horde, only allowed them the use of its lumber:

I am willing to allow the Horde the use of Azshara’s lumber if they abandon Ashenvale for good.

Indeed Tyrande has reason to not believe the Horde will keep its word, given the War of the Thorns.

2 Likes

While that isn’t exactly inaccurate…

It’s not exactly accurate anymore either.

There’s a bunch of stuff going on, and frankly I’m on my cellphone and not having the old forum archives make it difficult…

But those are in many cases in game books of WC3 lore, and not quite accurate due to a variety of reasons. The Warcraft Encyclopedia (an archives version is available wow wowpedia) States Tyrande Whisperwind is the sole leader of the Night Elves, and it has also, IIRC been confirmed prior to the change in Stormrage by Sean Copeland, a blizzard Historian that this was the case.

It’s the case because Tyrande is the High Priestess, and the Night Elf government is literally the church. It’s why in various novels Tyrande has named her successor if something were to go wrong or who is in charge when gone.

Post WOTA, the Church was the only faction that had a standing army, resources to lead, books, teachers, etc.

Tyrande, up until SR, is not leader because she is Tyrande. The High Priestess runs the church, and the church is the government.

Of course the RPG books took this further and explicitly stated the Sentinels were a branch of the priesthood and a few other odds and ends.

But no. One might be able to claim in the brief time before they had established Government back after WOTA that Furion was a leader, that is where it ends.

I think Chronicles might also clarify this some but I honestly don’t remember.

Why in the world Blizzard didn’t close out the expansion with an epic CGI re taking of Darkshore as the NEs overlooked Teldrassil symbolizing victory consider Teldrassil burning in CGI started the expansion… well it’s beyond me that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Chronicle was actually brought about to address changes in the narative over time, as Sean Copeland described in an interview:

“One of the goals we had while creating these books was to craft a truly cohesive and compelling guidebook that covers the history of the Warcraft universe, from its origins to now,” explains historian supervisor Sean Copeland.

“As a story that’s been evolving for decades, there’s been a noticeable change or two in the narrative. Identifying those sources of potential misunderstanding was imperative for the project as it went along, especially in our efforts to provide lore guidance for the stakeholders. That guidance enabled them to make informed rulings that impacted the entire universe.”

Chronicle actually also establishes a six-hundred year period between the settling on Mount Hyjal and the growing of Nordrassil (year -10,000) and the formation of the Sentinels (year -9,400), and then another two-thousand-one-hundred years before the Long Vigil (year -7,300). None of which contradicts the Warcraft III Manual or the in-game books.