The Kaldorei Conundrum

I wouldn’t be disappointed in that, as I want that armor, regardless of the means of acquisition.

What disappoints me is that the Heritage Armor quest likely won’t come with a new home.

After the gnome heritage questline I’ve given up any hope of them being at all relevant or important. I just want some pretty kaldorei-specific armor out of it.

I think it depends on where it falls on the spectrum.

Blood Elves: “Relive the moments that lead to the socio-political birth of your people.”
To
Gnomes: “Ya like planes? Or something?”
Or somewhere in between.

2 Likes

No heritage set can get every aesthetic aspect of a race down, most of them are very limited really, or capture the look of a class that isn’t even in the game. But as it is, the Sentinel look is far and away the most iconic visual set for the Night Elves, it makes sense they’d go with that.

3 Likes

Yes please feels and looks more natruy and elven than it just bring purple leather ftom warfront.

If you follow the Blood Elf story from WC3, that really isn’t so. Once Kael’thas took the hand of Lady Vashj and followed and joined the Illidari, it was the Blood Elves, snake people and a couple of blind demon imitating Kaldorei against the universe: literally.

When your surrounded by the universe, you take the first and brightest door open; that be the Horde.

But Warcraft 3 was based around them moving away from that demonic affiliation and I don’t think the Darkspear had any negative interaction with the Night Elves at that point. Plus, Cenarius eventually came back. And he actually respected the Orcs for their part in the Third War.

How does Cenarius view the Horde? Considering that Cenarius’ first instinct upon seeing orcs in his forest was to attack them, and Cenarius was killed by the father of the current warchief, it seems odd that Cenarius and his allies are so cordial to the Horde and orcs in particular in Hyjal.
Despite no longer having warlocks in their ranks, the orcs of Thrall’s Horde still carried within them the unmistakable mark of the Burning Legion upon their very souls up until the moment that Grom Hellscream defeated Mannoroth. Cenarius, as a being so attuned to nature that he can sense the slightest corruption, assumed that the orcs in Ashenvale were scouts of the Legion. This, ironically, sent the Warsong clan back into the service of Mannoroth and lead to the reestablishment of their connection to the potent fel magics that first bound them to the Legion. Cenarius’s spirit returned to the Emerald Dream after his defeat, and within it, he was able to sense the events of the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Cenarius saw the orcs defend Nordrassil hand-in-hand with the night elves and humans, and developed a growing respect for them. Cenarius saw that, despite their fel taint, they were allies against the Legion and defenders of the land (noting Garrosh’s father’s victory over his former enslaver in particular), so when both he and the Horde returned to Hyjal to defend the World Tree once again, Cenarius saw the orcs and their allies in a new light.

2 Likes

If the warfronts prove popular enough, Bashal’aran may just end up our new home, minas tirith style.

1 Like

More like Weathertop. Or, like the last level of the LoTR3 PS2 game where it’s just a tiny hill on some ruins surrounded by an army of Orcs.

The wc3 blood elf campaign was after the battle of mount Hyjal and before Arthas’s return to Lordaeron. Arthas was sent back to Lordaeron by Ner’zhul to eliminate the remaining Dreadlords who challenged his authority over the dead.

The point i was making toom place im wc3 frozen throne, where Garithos, leader of the Lordaeron survivors attempted to ethnic cleanse the Alliance of Lordaeron by attempting to sacrifice the Blood Elves by forcing them to defend the ruins of Dalaran against several undead armies alone and spied on them simultaneously. then rounded them up to be executed for accepting help from the Lady Vashj to defend Dalaran on the darkest hour.

That’s how prince Kael’thas and the blood Elves joined the Illlidari; they were rescued from genocide at the hands of humans whose city they were defending.

It was lady Liadrin that lead defected go the naru, and from the naru into the Horde. Understandable for that time since tBC was early enough for those Blood Elves to remember being concentrated and slotted for execution by allies that were on their border for decades; and Thall’s horde wasn’t the Horde of Doomhammer that sacked Quel’thalas while the Alliance was composed of the same people who rounded up their people for defending Dalaran.

Joining either in a room of spears is a tough decision, but the sane always chooses the lesser of the two evils. The Horde fought them but fought them honorably. The Alliance were their family until they were thought unsightly.

Who would you choose?

I wasn’t contesting the Blood Elves joining the Horde. I was making the case that the idea of Night Elves joining the Horde after the Third War would have fit fine.

1 Like

I never played either of those games, just read the books. In the books Weathertop is a ruin and was never a city, just an outpost. Yet Minas Tirith was a Fortress before it became a city out of necessity.

You should read the “The Silmarillion” by J.R.R Tolkien, it gives a better insight into the world and races of middle earth.

However, blizzard pretty much made the Kaldorei very unique, what i was referring to was that the real and imagined Kaldorei population (players) would never be content with leaving northern Kalimdore, even though our civilization spans most of the continent.

I think that describes Bashal’Aran better than Minas Tirith.

Oh, ok. Then again, your looking at a race that historically didn’t ally races they affiliated with (Tauren) or lived literally side by side (Furbolgs) before and after two wars with the Burning Legion.

It would be odd that the Kaldorei would join the Horde who had elected to erect their deforresting civilization on their historic and sacred border; that they already shared with the Furbolgs, who didn’t need to cut down trees.

Technically, it’s an alliance with Jaina and Theramore (survivors of Lordaeron.) The humans weren’t affiliated with all the shenanigans the Horde were into before and after felling Cenarius.

Had the Horde elected to settle in the Quagmire or Tanaris it would have been one thing. But Thrall didn’t move Orgrimmar, or demolish splinter tree post.

What I’m trying to say gently is that: Regardless of aiding in stopping a common enemy l, the Horde remained burglers because they wouldn’t leave the house they weren’t invited into the first place.

While Jaina, and the survivors of Lordaeron also entered Ashenvale, but migrated south to the Quagmire when the business with Archimonde was finished; showing respect and condolence.

The same problem presides with the Amani and Silvermoon. Silvermoon is a sacred Amani burial ground.

Therefore the Horde are to the Kaldorei what the Amani Trolls are to the Blood/High Elves. And the Dark Spear tribe didn’t even reside anywhere near Kaldorei holdings, not even Feralas.

Which holds true with allying with races continents away. But they clearly decided to branch out after the Third War from their overly isolationist ways.

I disagree. Barring the initial incident, the Orcs were trying to get back to their shamanistic roots. The Trolls shared this general culture. The Night Elves knew of the Tauren and they also shared a heavily druidic culture. Had they joined the Orcs, who they just fought alongside, they would be in a prime spot to help them be supplied in a way that respects their beliefs.

The Night Elves didn’t own Durotar and it would have been a prime spot to fostet cooperation if they chose. The story didn’t have to result in the Orc/Night Elf anymosity as we know it after the Third War.

2 Likes

You ignored my point when i stated the Kaldorei were joined the Alliance through Jaina and her survivors who settled miles away from Night Elf forests in the Quagmire.

Also, Duratar is not only literally on the Kaldorei border, but is technically goes right into Azshara, which was Kaldorei land. Not to mention, thay same Horde continued to burgler night elf lands if simply to sustain their own.

Its an Amani Sin’dorei relationship. You have to remember, the Kaldorei aren’t confined to Ashenvale. Both Azshara, Stonetalon Peak and Feralas are Kaldorei territories.

I felt it addressed that joining the Orcs would have been no different. The Night Elves fought humans and orcs prior to allying. Nothing wrong with them allying with humans. But they just as sensibly tried to deepen bonds with the orcs instead.

Very technically. It just touches it.

And in this scenario, the Night Elves take an active role in helping the Orcs live in Durotar. Which also has trees (till Daelin destroyed them). The Night Elves can harmless harvest lumber and could have worked together to ensure both sides got benefits of living side by side. You know, being allies.

No it isn’t. The Amani have thousands of years of Blood Elf squating on their land. The orcs and Night Elves of that time had one minor conflict, similar cultures among allies, and were adjacent.

3 Likes

The Night Elves being on the same faction that allows Undead to join its ranks makes no sense at all. In fact the Undead on the Horde never made any sense.

1 Like

Honestly I feel bad for Nelf stans. Yeah my nightmare sewer got destroyed and I am still sader about that than anyone reasonably should be.

But Windrunner’s still relevant and up or down Calia’s a hot topic. I still feel the Undead are very involved in the story despite this having less than nothing to do with Lordaeron at this point.

Whereas the Nelves see Nazjatar and… I mean I saw one Nelf NPC standing vaguely near Jania but that’s about it. Like seriously why even give the Horde Nbelves and Nazjatar if you’re not going to make it the N/Nbelf story.

And on Red Team we at least got some of that. Our First Arcanist wasn’t strictly plot relevant but you did some quests where you got to see her visibly distraught at the sight of old neighborhoods and familiar faces warped by cruel fate, wicked magics and the indifferent neglect of time and salt water.

Now I haven’t gotten around to a Blue Team playthrough yet but I distinctly remember seeing Nelf Stans frothing because instead of that they got Jania proudmoorishly explaining their own history at them.

3 Likes

So the Night Elves should never have joined a faction?