The Kaldorei Conundrum

Yeah, they did do a good job, and it was because of their constant vigilance and combating of the Scourge that anyone could even live there at all. Doesn’t change the fact that the city and the zone as a whole was practically under siege since WCIII and everyone living there was always under direct threat of being invaded and wiped out, and not just by the Scourge either.

Not exactly, given Nathanos’ objective wasn’t to destroy them to start with. I will say Quel’Lithien was under more duress than Quel’Danil, but neither of them are comparable to what was going on in Quel’Thalas, they didn’t have half the threats or worries the Blood Elves did.

You do know a major part of the theme of the zones is how so many of the Blood Elves had taken to escapism and delusion to cope with their situation, right? They’re not doing it because they have nothing to worry about, they’re doing it because they have way too much to worry about.

I mean she said that specifically, I’m not speaking for her.

The Blood Elves fought and died to secure Quel’Danas, not to mention that they took Magister’s Terrace and killed Kael’thas, so they did finish the job.

Also, I think it’s reasonable to talk about the High Elves here, given the OP talks about the Night Elves being made into purple High Elves. If we don’t agree on what the High Elves are, it’s hard to know if the Night Elves are being made a substitute for them.

1 Like

I would love having Night Elf Paladins, even if their only distinguishing unique class feature would probably be a Moonsaber Charger. I am really surprised that they haven’t been introduced yet after Delas and Nerus Moonfang and the Night Warrior.

But I would also love Night Elf Shamans, so I’m rather greedy.

8 Likes

A moonsaber charger would be amazing, they did a good job with the dark iron mount. The new moon priestess mount is phenomenal as well.

7 Likes

Honestly, even if Night Elf Paladins used golden yellow holy spell effects like any other Paladin, a Moonsaber Charger would really be enough for me that I would be happy.

The first alts I leveled this expansion where my Night Elf Warrior and my Night Elf Death Knight to start doing the Darkshore Warfront with them to collect the plate set on the chance that Night Elf Paladins ever become playable.

1 Like

Yeah, I realized we were going down “that” hole with the high elves and we were just never going to get anywhere in addition to being off topic lol. All good though because I feel like the few times I’ve gone back and forth with you we don’t get rude about it and everyone is entitled to their opinion! :grin:

On topic, Night Elf Paladins seem kind of overdue. In lore the Priestesses of the Moon have always struck me more as Paladins than classical Priests considering the fact they are described specifically as not wearing cloth and fighting on the front lines with the warriors. We have weirder race-class combos, I think it’s time.

10 Likes

Before Illidan eye blasted Xe’ra I always had a tin foil hat conspiracy that the Holy Illidan prophecy was going to come true because of the Elder Naaru’s vision in the Illidan novel of effectively a Lightforged Illidan, and that a third Demon Hunter spec would be added that would be holy based.

3 Likes

This is an interesting concept. The High Elves and Void Elves are essentially redundant to one another, with both essentially being comprised of minority group exiles. I also don’t doubt for a second that people would be FAR more forgiving of the Void Elves if they had a two-forms like Alleria does. They are already like the most played AR race atm.

On a darker note … I do wonder what would happen should Sylvie make good on her threat? There isn’t a single other character in this game that Sylvanas has been gunning to murder and revive into undeath than her own younger sister Vareesa (and should the High Elves loose Vareesa, they’d essentially be rendered rudderless … and many would likely rally behind Alleria in response).

1 Like

Speaking of Sylvanas, there’s something I want to nitpick. Shani Edwards had the following to say in her infamous interview about Tyrande having got her revenge for the Night Elves:

Shani began by saying that Tides of Vengeance gave the team its chance to “tell a little bit of Tyrande’s story” but that the focus in Nazjatar is going to shift to delve into other characters and to see more of what Sylvanas and Anduin are up to.

But we haven’t see squat about what Sylvanas and Anduin are up to this patch.

4 Likes

8.2 was such a weird patch … and with no context on any real story beyond a single Magni questchain for 8.2.5 (admittedly a good one) its frustrating. Hell, pretty sure they already announced there would be no Heritage Questlines for 8.2.5 (the Goblin and Worgen ones are apparently postponed).

What happened to the insight into Sylvanas or Anduin we were promised? Where did that bit of “trust me” dialogue to Nathanos go (which seemed SUPER sketchy from Sylvie)? Where did the Velanora sidequest run off to? Where the hell is the continuation of the Vol’jin questline? What is going on with this story Blizz … and where the hell are you placing all your assets right now?

5 Likes

My only consolation is that Azshara is still alive so Blizzard has a chance to get the Night Elves involved in fighting against her again. If they will or not, though, is what we’ll have to see.

12 Likes

Exactly! I wish they would dabble a bit with making each race have its own twist on a class… so far Shamans are our best example. But the silvery Moon light would be a nice feature. Then for something like Dark Irons, a fiery light as well.

The priestess and warrior aspect has always been awesome

6 Likes

A glowing night elf paladin riding an armored nightsaber into battle? Sign me up lol. My Alliance priest would be in serious danger of getting benched!

They should really do this. They don’t even need to make new particle effects or spell names, they can just color them silver instead of gold (like the green warlock fire).

9 Likes

Because as is the typical situation, they won’t have a choice.

2 Likes

I’m terrified it’s going to be a retread of the bikini armor from WC3/WoT. People were going nuts over the nostalgia factor, even though it’s nothing more than a bra, shoulder pads, and panties for women. Even less for men: a codpiece and some weird strap thing over the chest. That’s it. I remember TONS of posts begging Blizz to make that the heritage armor for Night Elves.

2 Likes

If they do the same kind of job they did on the Darkshore Warfront armor (at least the ones did for the mail and cloth armors), I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

That’s more along the lines of what I’m hoping for, too.

1 Like

I mean, I’d wear it. If not on Gal, on another character.

I believe they’ve actually said that because of the Warfronts, Humans, Orcs, Night Elves, and Forsaken will be some of the last races to get Heritage Armor. Since those races already have multiple racially thematic sets.

4 Likes

That’s not bad. A bit lacking on the Elven filigree. But I like how often they worked in the moon motifs.

If they ever made Night Elf Paladins a playable combo, either my Pally or Warrior would wear it (while the other wore the Darkshore plate set).

1 Like

I will be extremely disappointed if that’s what we get. When every other race in the game gets gorgeous armor from head to toe, night elves just getting skimpy underwear would send me into a rage. Especially since I already lost out on warfront armor due to the Darkshore leather set looking hideous.

1 Like

I really like that armor and I hope it becomes obtainable by players, but I’m not sure it fits the entirety of Kaldorei culture.

(I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t the mail/hunter armor from the Warfront, but the mail armor we did get was awesome, so I can’t really complain there.)

I can’t think of what would be a good armor to encompass every aspect of night elf society - where would Archer, Huntress, Priestess, Druid, and now Mage aesthetics intersect?

If I had to pick one, though, I’d probably go for something evoking the culture shift after the Sundering and the duties of the Long Vigil. So probably something between Archer and Druid aesthetics. Maybe add a few color variations (Arcane purple, Druid green, Priestess white?) for the others.

1 Like