The Kaldorei Conundrum

This is why I want playable High Elves (though, not to the point of crusading for them. I tend to want nearly all races to be playable). I always tend to fall on the side of ideals over pragmatism with my Warcraft Elves. I preferred Malfurion’s ideals to Illidan’s pragmatism, even when his name was anathema on these forums. Even the Void Elves made the switch. Umbric went from a pragmatic “We have to use absolutely everything we can to protect Quel’thalas, including the Void”, to the idealistic “The power of the Void is too great to trust the Horde with, and it must be kept out of the Horde’s hands at all costs”.

Not even adding blue-eyed options to the Blood Elves would cut it, for me. Some things are worth taking a hard pass on all the luxuries of (a presumably repaired, by now) Quel’thalas, including being decidedly not a member of the Horde.

6 Likes

Is this supposed to be a joke? The Blood Elves had to deal with the Scourge constantly marching up the Dead Scar, Amani raids, their own ODed people, and the Alliance incursion into their lands, all while having to manage their mana addiction plus the added baggage of all of their surviving civilians. The High Elves in EPL were mostly experienced combatants who only had to worry about staying hidden from the Scourge in the hills, they hardly had a fraction of the concerns the Blood Elves had to deal with.

Not to mention, all the High Elves got reconnected to the Sunwell despite doing nothing to help reclaim it, and have been effectively AFK for the entirety of WoW’s lifespan while the Blood Elves have actually actively fought to stop the many world-ending threats that routinely plague Azeroth. I almost think they don’t want to make High Elves playable now because of how embarrassingly late to the party they’d be.

I kind of doubt most people who like the Blood Elves or the Horde would enjoy a story where a Blood Elf kills a bunch of Horde and himself for the sake of a Dwarf and some Alliance because he regrets not being a High Elf instead.

3 Likes

This is kind of like saying, “We’re just going to have the Argent Dawn/Crusade ignore all the undead, because they’re being saved for the real Scourge threat, the Lich King.”

Again, I outlined five points where the velves could’ve been showing themselves as more than just there to fight the Horde, and in each case, they were absent. At least two of those outlined points focused on treating void-related problems (whispers/gift of N’zoth), one was a chance for this group of SCHOLARS to, you know, BE scholars, and study how the enemy uses the void, etc…

It seems pretty clear (to me) that the velves only exist to fight the Horde so the Horde has an enemy in the Alliance they can feel good about fighting.

2 Likes

Take your high elf/blood elf screeching to its own thread.

2 Likes

At the end of the day High Elves had presence on the Alliance.
If they were the ones that messed with the Void and became Void Elves would have been infinitely more preferable than Umbric’s unspecified study group.

Oh and a recolor of BE models? Go F yourself Blizzard.

2 Likes

Not most Blood Elves, it would seem:

Esara Verrinde <Magisters>

Do you enjoy traveling, <player>? As the Magisters’ Seeker of Wisdom, I am on the road quite a bit. I find it strange that most sin’dorei dislike it so much. But then I am not like most sin’dorei, as they never fail to remind me.

I am a bit of misfit, to be honest. Most sin’dorei are content to live out their entire lives within the confines of Silvermoon City. However I found it stifling after so many years living on Draenor. I’ve never been one to hold my opinions back…

When Grand Magister Rommath asked me to leave and become the Magisters’ Seeker of Wisdom, it was a relief for us both.

This is fair, though. This has gotten considerably off topic.

There is Night Elf lore in Quest for Pandaria - Part 4, though. I highly recommend the story to people.

It wouldn’t make sense for them to join the Horde. Especially with all the affiliations with Demons, Trolls, things that caused the Kaldorei suffering. Oh yeah and Cenarius…

2 Likes

Most of any race are civilians who don’t go out and fight. That has nothing to do with the fact that Blood Elves have been contributing since their induction to the Horde, while the High Elves have been content to sit out most conflicts. If they could take a more cohesive and active role, them not doing so before is ridiculous.

It’s no weirder than the Blood Elves.

2 Likes

Thus my point still stands.

Most Blood Elves have gotten to be cushy in Quel’Thalas, while no High Elves have gotten to live there and instead had to live in exile all this time. Their stories are not the same.

1 Like

I mean most high elves just went to live comfortably in Dalaran instead.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Quel’Danil Lodge in the Hinterlands, for example. Not all High Elves are part of the Silver Covenant - not any more than all Blood Elves are part of the Sunreavers. Though, once again, I do admit that the Silver Covenant would be the simplest to implement as playable.

3 Likes

That is true, but I think the boat sailed for PC high elves when they put in void elves…

I DO however think they could implement a two forms system akin to what Worgen have. Call it Void Suppression or some such.

8.2.5 Spoiler bit

This would be particularly easy to explain thanks to Wrathion’s new anti void potion that silences the whispers.

2 Likes

That is plausible, yes. Alex Afrasiabi said so at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGnT6WZbeI&t=24m23s :

The Lost Codex: Is there any chance that there could be future cutsomization for Void Elves to skin color, hair color change to kind of almost give the High Elf feeling?

Alex Afrasiabi: That’s a yes. There’s always a chance. There’s always a chance. Don’t give up hope. But just be respectful when you make your posts.

I would be cool with that personally. I don’t think more ardent High Elf fans would be. But would be good enough for me.

2 Likes

We just need an elf Paladin on the alliance.

Holy Lunar Kaldorei Paladins are the best bet :slight_smile:

Could be an elite group of priests from the night warrior/darkshore campaign that help the night elves channel Elunes wrath on the horde.

I’d happily change my Draenei to Night Elf in a heart beat.

7 Likes

No it doesn’t, because life in Quel’Thalas was undoubtedly worse and more dangerous than the majority of places High Elves live. Aside from the EPL lodge, no other place High Elves live can even be compared to the pressure the average Blood Elf was under. If you want to talk about “cushy living”, the High Elves far and away have the Blood Elves beat. If anything they should be thanking the Blood Elves for exiling them so they didn’t have to come back to their half-ruined, depopulated, constantly threatened city. It’s no wonder so many don’t want to leave the walls, because most of their lands are a death trap.

Also, you’re shifting the conversation. My point was that the Blood Elves, both in terms of their nation and on an individual level, have been contributing to stopping major threats for many years, while the High Elves have either hung out in Human kingdoms, kept to their lodges, or mostly directed their efforts against the Blood Elves. The purpose in noting this relative lack of action is to point out that if the High Elves could be a unified player with world relevance who can actively aid their allies against major threats, them not having come together to do so after everything which previously transpired casts them in an incredibly bad light.

1 Like

The Blood Elves within Silvermoon City have not generally been shown to have to deal with the undead from the Dead Scar. And even in comparison, the Blood Elves just have to deal with mindless undead, unlike the High Elves at Quel’Danil Lodge that are attacked by far more dangerous Forsaken:

Much like the High Elves at Quel’Lithien Lodge were being killed by Nathanos.

You were the one responding to me. You were the one trying to shift the conversation to the unrelated participation of the minority of Blood Elves in world events from what Shieyra and I were talking about. Go drop your lure somewhere else.

1 Like

The Undead were literally constantly attacking the front gates of the city and had to be fought off around the clock. Not to mention the Dead Scar bisects their entire territory and to even go between the Eastern and Western halves of the zone they’d have to brave the Scourge.

Which they successfully defend against. Not to mention they allied with the Alliance and Wildhammer, your idea that they were attacked because of Nathanos and not simply as a consequence of their own choices is pure speculation.

Also, again, the High Elves at the lodges are mostly trained combatants and fighters. They have no sizable civilian population to protect, and no said civilians who would be living every day in fear of their own helplessness against the myriad of enemies just beyond their gates.

How is that a shift at all? The position of Shieyra and I is the same, the Blood Elves walked the tough road while the High Elves had the easy one. The fact that the Blood Elves had it rougher and also contributed far more towards stopping major threats is simply another aspect of that, one which Shieyra touched on where she noted that the High Elves were happy enough to mooch off the Sunwell which they played no part in reclaiming.

2 Likes

Blood elf and High elf Propaganda doesnt belong in a Kaldorei thread lol

3 Likes

And as far as we have seen those guards have done a good job because none of those undead have been shown getting into the city.

I didn’t say the ones at Quel’Danil Lodge were attacked because of Nathanos. I was pointing out that they were in as much threat as the High Elves at Quel’Lithien Lodge when Nathanos was having them killed them.

The High Elves at Quel’Danil Lodge were more likely just victims of the Forsaken’s rampant expansionism during the Cataclysm revamp of the Eastern Kingdoms.

No Blood Elves have been shown having any day to day fear of the undead outside of Silvermoon. There’s even rock concerts and holiday events being played regularly in the city.

Shieyra never responded to me, so I will leave it up to Shieyra to give their own opinion if they want to.

The Alliance played a bigger part in reclaiming the Sunwell. The Blood Elves didn’t even make sure Kael’thas was actually dead at Tempest Keep.

True. I apologize. I will not respond for High Elf points in this thread any more. I’m sorry.

3 Likes

Lol you dont have to apologize to me :stuck_out_tongue: just sayin it was off topic for all of us to discuss such matters.

2 Likes