The "item level Wall" is up...again

My item level is almost 395 and I haven’t done any of the above group content. I do a couple of warfronts every month and that is pretty much it for group content.

There are people who haven’t touched a regular mythic dungeon or raided normal and are nearly 400 ilvl. Welfare gear falls like rain. I can’t believe people are complaining about gear this expansion when welfare is centric to almost every little thing you do in-game.

1 Like

You seem to be the one trolling here. Asking the OP to clarify what opportunities exist after you hit the solo content gear cap is a legitimate question. Nobody is saying what he’s doing is wrong or isn’t content.

So, I fail to see what’s the issue here?
You people have to make up your mind. According to GD, spamming LFR will make your ilvl 425 in no time.
Weird indeed…
:thinking:

Whether you think it’s good content or believe other people should play and enjoy the game the same way you do isn’t relevant. They don’t and your opinion of it doesn’t matter. But yes, some people play this like it’s a form of entertainment and not a job, they don’t see it as something to derive a sense of self worth from, they aren’t interested in investing the time or effort to get to the skill level of people who do difficult organized content because…well…it’s just a video game. And those “some people” are actually the vast majority of players. Blizzard caters content done by hardcore players to them, they don’t for content designed for casual players. That’s not unexpected.

You and I, (just guessing here), we raid and run M+. That’ fun content to us. It’s suited to us. It’s designed for us and to our playstyles. Whether it’s forging or not, casuals deserve progression too. They need something to work on over a tier. A bunch of time gated progression is perfectly fine, they’re not going to exceed people doing organized content in ilvl unless those people stop playing. There’s nothing wrong with that.

4 Likes

Seems the OP is in luck and Blizzard has answered his prayers. I just saw this topic:

1 Like

As a casual player who does not do any serious raiding content, I say…too bad?

You want high end gear do high end content. Simple. Otherwise deal with your self imposed ilvl cap…

1 Like

pay gold for a mythic carry.

This is the kind of player Blizzard caters to with tf/wf and other easy gearing mechanics. Sad.

1 Like

If you want to get better rewards on a consistent basis you need to move up on the content ladder which includes forming groups.

If you don’t you just get to sit back and hope your preferred content TFs for you because that’s how MMOs work.

Did you miss the blue sticky this morning?

Ilvl 400 from daily 4 WQs now…

Ya i dont do Mythic+ and only go to LFR raid(370)
Some of my characters are up to 390 or 385+

The daily emissaries give 385 and chance to WF/TF even higher.
Warfront quests give 400 for Darkshore
Ivus also gives 400

Takes some time but my casual characters can get to 390 with just those.

Dont know if its been mentioned but you can get wf/tf from timewalking dungeon quest reward.

Exactly - the way I worked up all my alts was building my own key and running the mid-level keys to work my io score up so that I would get into 10’s for the 400 gear rewards, plus the 410 cache each week. Combine that with the darkshore war front and a weekly raid cache each month - and if you’re lucky with the slot drops, you can start pushing your ilvl towards 400.

It’s not easy - but it’s possible; I’ve done it on at least 3 alts and they’re all now over 410.

You are joking right? This game is one big loot pinata.

You can’t even tell someone’s skill anymore based on Ilevel.

It’s like Oprah giving out keys to cars. You get gear, he gets gear, she gets gear. No worries, you’ll be 400 in no time.

1 Like

So, ignoring the false premise…

Yeah, I know. It’s almost like it’s a multiplayer game, or something.

2 Likes

People like this ruined the game.

5 Likes

Honestly, I’m of the mind that the “wall” is only really a problem these days because of how quickly you reach it. As a hardcore “casual” player, I see no reason we should be getting 400 or higher gear from world quests or lower level content.

The real problem is that I hit ~380 within a week of hitting max and I’m left feeling like I have no where to go. The only solution to that is for it to take longer to get to ~380. They can’t give us ever increasing rewards at a casual level, and they can’t make the harder stuff more accessible (or it wouldn’t be harder content).

Which means that we can either hit the wall very fast, and flounder until we either give up on that toon or deal with content we don’t feel like doing, or we can hit the wall slowly over longer periods of time.

More gear faster is not the answer to hitting the gear wall. You’re just pushing the wall farther out, but eventually you’re going to hit it. At the speed of gear acquisition we’re bound to hit it within weeks of hitting cap.

~380 is enough to start your own M+ groups. They’re not always going to pan out, and that’s always been true of groups throughout the games history.

However, I’m not sure what “opportunities” you’re looking for here. The only reason to get higher gear is to do higher content, and you’re brushing up to the point where you can hop over to M+ and start pushing gear that way.

It’s exactly how everyone else does it, they just don’t seem to think it’s as onerous as you seem to think it is.

As I said, there has always been, and will always be, a gear wall. The point at which you must do group content, rely on random sheer luck, or buy BoE raid gear.

This is by design, because end game content is, at the farthest reaches, intended to be group driven content.

Not to sound like an elitist, because I’m very much casual, but… if you’re not going to hop onto the treadmill, you don’t need the higher gear. If you want to get on the treadmill, you’ll need to do the footwork. Sometimes, yes, that means doing only 1 or 2 mythics some days because you couldn’t find a group.

Alternately, I’ve had pretty good luck just making a group, labeling it “friendly”, and inviting people that seem like an appropriate ilvl. I get some people who aren’t very good, and I’ve not always made the timer, but you don’t need to make the timer to get gear, either. (Except a single bonus piece).

TLDR

The hamster wheel works thusly:

1. Do content to get better gear.
  2. Equip better gear.
  3. Do harder content to get even better gear.
  4. Equip even better gear.
  5. Do even harder content to get some of the best gear.
  6. Bask in your gear or fish for procs.

Which is to say that you don’t get gear equal to the content your doing before you go do it. You get gear that allows you to do content that gives you better gear. You’re already above M0 (370), and at this point the gear improvements come from doing the content that gives you better gear.

Basically, you get better gear by doing content that is difficult for your gear level. There is no other way to do this.

397 and I have never done a mythic dungeon or any raid above LFR. So, no. You haven’t hit the wall yet.

1 Like

You get 400 gear from the Warfront + the Mythic dungeon weekly whenever that pops up.

If you are not doing M+ Dungeons, raiding or PvP you do not need better gear.

For Mythics do your best to get a key then form your own group if needed. I have not had trouble getting low level keys done but it can take a while waiting for a tank if few are online.

Raiding should not take you that long, join a guild if you don’t want to wait on PuGs, your gear level should be fine for a heroic but if all you are about is gear just do M+.

As for PvP it’s not the best way to gear but the chest you get every week helps.

1 Like