The Horde: A Different Type of Heroism

If you care about an event that never happened, you’re just unwell.

Alliance are mad about Teldrassil because:

• Genocided your favorite race
  • Destroyed your RP home
  • Handled genocide poorly

Retcon’ing Telddrassil:

• Makes your favorite race not genocided
  • Restores your RP home
  • Writes genocide out of the narrative

Horde is mad about Teldrassil because:

• Villain bat for the hundredth time
  • Made Horde responsible for a genocide
  • Mishandled genocide

Removing it:

• Undoes the biggest villain bat we’ve had in recent years
  • Horde is no longer responsible for a genocide
  • There is no genocide to mishandle.

If you continue to be mad about it, then do so, but at the Blizzard writers who wrote this idiotic mess in the first place.

Retcon’ing Teldrassil is the only solution that ends in a productive way for both sides.

8 Likes

It has nothing to do with people being mad, it has to do with people remembering what was put out there without you providing a logical and satisfying conclusion to it.

So again, where’s your magic brain altering device? You do need such a thing if you’re going to reverse the impression that the Horde is just evil given the marketing push that went into this with just a retcon.

1 Like

“Now let me explain in detail why I think it’s realistic for a multi-billion dollar corporation to toss out half a decade of work”

BfA notwithstanding, I genuinely believe they wanted Horde players to feel justified.

It just… doesn’t make sense otherwise. Perhaps they miscalculated the playerbase’s response.

They have said several times that they think players hating on each other means that their story is working.

Also, I just want to quote this again:

I want everybody in this thread to take a good, long look at this sequence of words. Print them out if you can and frame it so you can put it on your wall.

There will never be a logical or satisfying conclusion, so just write it out of the story, restore Teldrassil, the Nelves never died en masse, etc.

Malice.

Usually, usually, do not assign malice where stupidity is sufficient, but in this case, it genuinely feels like malice.

2 Likes

This is entirely my view of the situation. I have no idea why Morghel and co are so angry at Horde players specifically for the burning rather than the hamhanded writers who wrote the worst parts of BFA into the lore because they wanted a big spectacle.

5 Likes

That is your opinion, not a fact.

This isnt justification. This is an explanation. You should know my point of view by now. If the world was at all fair WoW would have have gay characters/minorities from the start. Due a vast amount of reasons from both technical and political and economic reasons that wasn’t the case and Blizzard has slowly decided to rectify it.

I don’t think the initial reasons are at all discriminatory, mostly anyway. (Metzen literally made Tyreal a black guy for element sake and that created a freaking controversy, and that was what? Early 2000?)

And are you going to tell me you would prefer if humans replace the taurens/trolls just so ever human culture is represented by humans?

i’d also point out taurens are generally portrayed as “good guys/heart of the Horde”.

The Dragonmaw Clan leader.

You seem to have some stupid wet power fantasies.

What does the word “wet” have to do with it?
I am generally trying to benefit from the benevolent attitude of the Alliance while maintaining the Horde’s lingering atrocities. Offer another benefit if this one doesn’t suit you.

Seems to understand? Wet fantasy, not wet power, huh?

Kyalin after 2 and a half years of arguing on the forums, nobody has come up with a universally acceptable solution.

You want your tree RP home back surely? You would prefer the genocide to not have happened? For Blizzard to demonstrate narrative humility and recognize when a mistake was made in the story?

No I wouldn’t, but you claimed above that the in-game humans are supposed to represent IRL humanity as a whole. When you know damn well “most” of IRL humanity (taking into account most of the world lives outside of the US and Europe) is represented by the Non-Human races.

This is an active choice in WoW’s world building that has narrative weight.

And Tauren being the “heart of the Horde” yet Baine is doing nothing in Oribos and does nothing for all of 9.1 Chains of Domination just reaffirms he’s a Noble Savage trope.

7 Likes

I’m not pissed at you because of the burning. You had as little control over it has I did.

What I am pissed off about, are the constant whataboutism from you, which just seems to boil dwon to “Horde and Alliance eually bad, therefore no resolution needed”. And I just can’t stand that.

Of course it’s the writers faults, or those who give them orders. That doesn’t exclude you from criticism when i’m spitballing ideas of how to put the broken pieces together.

1 Like

How about this, you guys get to retcon BfA if I get to retcon Cata

1 Like

You want to hurt the Horde. And I can not allowe that to happen. You are my enemy.

Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Not the Alliance. Get over that already.

You want to be treated favorably by the characters of the Alliance for free, after the destruction you have wrought. Well, no, I’ll get my benefit. Suggest something.

Compared to how WoW does races lately, I feel like FF14 overall seems to do them better. The various nations aren’t all Humanland or Gnometopia or Elfwood, etc. but you instead get a mix of them in most of the places. Some races might be more prominent than others in each city, but for the most part, a character’s culture is derived from where they live and not their body shape. You do have unplayable monster race groups, but even they seem to be written with more care than how the horde was done in BFA.

It’s a shame the game’s racial selection is so French Vanilla, though.

Doesn’t sound like much of a sacrifice to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Pandaria would have to get rewritten pretty hard, though. Maybe Lei Shen could be bumped backward into the final boss spot; people seemed to adore him as a villain anyway.

7 Likes

No, the Horde declared war DESPITE those greivences. They weren’t allowed them. Which is why Stormheim is largely swept under the rug by everyone but a single passing mention from Saurfang. Why Blizz attempted to invalidate/whitewash an Alliance military operation against Horde CIVILIANS in Silithus … not once, but twice (in BtS with Sapphretta, then “Cuz Goblins” once they realized Sapphy’s abduction wouldn’t chronologically work). And then the clear intended threat of SI:7 in Org after the Gathering. Which was used as a way to trick the Alliance, but not as a motive for the war.

In short, not one of what should have been motives for the WoT on the Horde side were really allowed to be motives for it. With Blizz twisting the narrative to invalidate them as much as they could, like they always do. Because that might meant the Alliance would have to do something to justify that antagonism and aggression. And the post-Cata Alliance can’t be antagonistic or aggressive. Those aren’t virtues.

2 Likes

With how Blizz writes the two factions … no I really don’t think I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes