The Horde: A Different Type of Heroism

This would no more resolve my problems than it would yours. Sure, they yanked it back, but the audience would remember it, and continue to associate things as they have associated them.

So no, that’s not a solution.

2 Likes

And I don’t think that is even possibly. Warcraft was literally a game built on a medieval setting, hence why the humans use a medieval archetype. Short of having pandaria or Zandalar be populated with humans you cannot possibly represent every human on earth with a culture that derived from their origins.

Flynn is bisexual

I believe you’re correct, I’ll edit my post.

It’s insanely clear that the writing staff thought that by making Sylvanas the sole person responsible for ordering the burning, and having Saurfang immediately jump ship, and Baine take over fighting the war so it could be done with a minimum of Warcrimery and working against Sylvanas’ worst actions, that they intended the bulk of the “sin” of Teldrassil to fall squarely on her shoulders.

…which didn’t land at all, because the writers are hilariously bad at anything involving subtletly and nuance.

6 Likes

Nope, can’t argue about stuff that didn’t materially happen in the lore anymore.

Ergo why I never use the Alliance Murdering Vulpera Via Burning Alive as an example of Alliance violence, because it never happened.

Same as how the Quillboar never invaded Brennadam, and their presence in Kul Tiras is never explained thusly.

It is a solution.

Solves the problem at the root.

For most of the Middle Ages, a third of Italy, parts of Greece, and most of Spain was part of the “Islamic World” actually.

There were Chinese and South Asian and West African and etc people living in Spain and Italy in the Middle Ages.

Regardless, you validate my point, the Global South Cultures are represented by the Monster/Animal Races, which carries with it a weight in the choice.

3 Likes

Since when do they want this? They haven’t wanted this since Cata? The Horde was so utterly without motives for ANYTHING it was tasked to do in BfA it was absurd. Blizz outright wrote Teldrassil OUT of the Horde side of the story for the most part, because they couldn’t figure out a way to keep the Horde in line for Sylvie’s narrative if they were allowed to react to it. Every single cinematic in BfA was about how awful, evil, flawed, weak, and sick the Horde was. With Blizz even hiding several instances of “Evul Horde” from the Horde players themselves; relied pretty heavily on a clear unreliable narrator trop in Dazal’Alor; and whitewashed the Alliance constantly!!!

There was no attempt at “Making the Horde players think their attacks and aggression was justified”. They deliberately wrote a story where they were forced to be aggressive DESPITE the lack of motives to be so, or even the proper means to do so. While shaming the Horde players for Blizz’s own writing for going on 3+ years now!

13 Likes

Not a single alliance character died in bfa. Meanwhile Alliance killed both Rastakhan and Nathanos. Not to mention, we also lost Nazgrim, Garrosh and Zaela. Alliance owes us 5 high ranking characters to be killed off to make things even and fair again.

You cannot declare a completed expansion and a third of a new expansion to be protracted beta testing. Can’t you?

But that isnt what Blizzard used. Blizzard used a relatively watered down view and somewhat “americanized” version of the medieval period. It is basically a renfaire.

Yuo are free to believe what you want. As for myself I have always believed that Blizzard wanted the humans to just represent humans(that is suppose to transend race or origin) being forced to work together for the common good, regardless of difference of nationality.

What about all those motives Waygs listed upthread?

You upvoted this so you must appreciate the sentiment in some way

1 Like

Show me where the change in the lore causes the event to be overridden in the minds of the living, breathing, not-controlled-by-Blizzard’s-writers audience.

1 Like

Obviously changing the Vulpera purge squad thing DIDN’T actually change the impact given that we’re still hearing about it constantly, except instead of the grievance being that the Alliance did a bad thing the grievance is now that the Alliance didn’t do a bad thing

2 Likes

What does this have to do with it? I trade the benevolent attitude of the Alliance for the destruction of Horde items.
Also, the Alliance must besiege Stormwind twice, humiliate the Forsaken twice (?), Be corrupted, get their own addition in an alternate past … what am I talking about?

Who is Zaela?

And this still doesn’t justify the lack of diversity from the onset lol I assume, for example, Metzen had Black and Asian friends lol

Are you going to look me in the virtual eye and tell me Tauren aren’t based on North American Natives? And Troll aren’t Afro-Caribbean?

3 Likes

Did you miss the reason those 3 events were frustrating (that quite literally mentioned) is because Blizz’s obsessive need to whitewash the Alliance into the flawless mary sues they are resulted in them just invalidating all those events. So the Horde was forced to act DESPITE them, not in response to them, for the most part.

But who am I talking to? The guy who revels in that sort of flawless, sterile white power fantasy.

9 Likes

Can you blame them when the entire fanbase seems to be deathly allergic to nuance?

1 Like

Coffee break time

10 Likes

I get what you’re trying to say here but you might want to rephrase it a bit.

MY SIDE GOOD, YOUR SIDE BAD. MY CRIME NOT BAD, YOUR CRIME UNJUSTIFIABLE.

They didn’t invalidate all those events though. The Horde declared war on the Alliance and invaded Northern Kalimdor in response. To hear him tell it, the Horde had plenty of grievances that more than justified a Horde military reprisal, which is what happened. Is the problem here that someone didn’t turn to the camera and list them out?