The Graphics War

Right. We’re so entitled that we want everyone to have an identical authentic experience, versus arguing for a personalized experience through toggles and customization. Sounds a bit backwards, no? See my prior post that explains how your argument can be used to add in tons of other “doesn’t affect anyone else” items without regard.

Point me to a peer reviewed article that states this and I will absolutely back that up under the accessibility options as a “Poor Vision” mode. So far it seems like that would only argue the fidelity of the textures, though, not new models or new animations. But sure, locate the peer reviewed study that backs that up – versus your own anecdote, and I’m game.

It’s 2019… It is impossible to have a truly authentic Vanilla experience.

What peer reviewed article are you citing for the inclusion of colorblind mode in WoW?

Is it not possible for players that are colorblind to play the game? I bet someone who’s colorblind has an easier time playing the game than I do with my poor vision. You should see this hunchback like sitting posture I have to take to even argue with you here, zoomed in to 130% on this page.

Colorblind mode isn’t a necessity and it isn’t Vanilla but you’re going to make an exception to the “Classic is Classic” rule because you’ll look bad if you don’t.

Brohk<Battle Hardened>

48 posts

85 Human Paladin10435

2d

As I’ve said before, I am fine with a toggle option as long as the work required to make it happen does not delay, hamper or hinder the release in any way. If that means you have to wait until some time after the release for a non-classic feature to be added, so be it.

Opinion time! I freaking loathe the new models and animations, I logged in for the first time in years just recently and the whole aesthetic felt so wrong, so awful, so… not-World of Warcraft. I love the old models and animations because that’s what I had for the entirety of my time playing the game (release -> Firelands in Cataclysm).

I get that some people hate the old models as much as I hate the new ones, and I want people to enjoy Classic just as much as I am going to - so I am okay with the idea of a toggle, again, on the following grounds:

• I never want to see the new models
  • It must only exist as an option
  • It can’t delay the release of the game or any Classic content/phases

As long as that criteria is met, it’s all good.

This is very fair. Nobody should have any reason to argue what this guy said.

He literally said he favored color blind mode a post right before a post you made.

There may be some arguments to make in favor of a toggle, but you’re not helping the cause by arguing in bad faith. He’s not a monster because he wants Classic to be authentic (or in my case just arguing that a toggle isn’t worth the effort, see my previous posts for that argument).

Edit: my mistake.

100% true, as even acknowledged in Blizzard’s article. Also in Blizzard’s article, they’re committed to as close to authentic as feasible.

You are asking for proof that color blindness affects vision when certain colors are used, dependent on variant of color blindness? I just want to make sure that we’re on the same page.

You are making a specific claim that video games must have a minimum resolution and/or minimum polygon count for you to actually comprehend them. You are making the claim that is not (to my knowledge) substantiated. Color blindness has been substantiated as something that exists, affects people, and has a solution (regarding specific use of colors).

You made the claim, you provide the proof. Who knows, you may bring a new wave of accessibility to all modern games. You’d be the talk of the internet!

I also feel like I want to take the time to appreciate that I’ve frustrated Galdor so much that he’s now resorted to marginalizing those with genuine disabilities by (albeit facetiously) attempting to pass his own personal preferences off as a medical need. So now we have intense entitlement and marginalizing those with disabilities. Bravo!

Sometimes i think that people forget that we are paying to play this game, its a choice we are all willing to make because we enjoy most of what this game has to offer. And because we are paying we should at least get to voice out opinions

From all the posts i’ve seen about this, no one has demanded that the Toggle option be added. everyone just asks because… everyone has their own opinion about what they like whether its right or wrong. but theres always seems to be a horde of people(or one really loud person) who act like they are demanding the toggle… i feel like its the same people who didnt really allow Blizzard to Remaster WoW because they want to relive something so exactly that the slightest change would entirely ruin their experience. Which if they had chosen to do a remastering i think graphics wise, everyone would be satisfied.

I would just like to point out that there has only been one good response to this post that was a real eye opener for me.

that made a lot of sense, appearance is after all is part of the R in the RPG. (you could also argue for Toggle with these words but lets just ignore that for a moment)

Since the current debate isnt really going anywhere could we just move on? Neither side is able to come to some sort of understanding… unlike two other posters in this thread… i think its time everyone just walks away.

Sorry to disappoint you but I’m highly amused, not frustrated. Also, I’m glad there’s a colorblind mode, I’ve never been no-changes when talking about optional graphic improvements that have virtually no effect on anyone else.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

patch 1.13 isn’t “authentic” however that’s what the stress test was running.

As I enjoy seeing people defending toggle option. You really can’t prove anything to those people.
THey are stubborn and egoistic. And they will deny anything that they think is “OH GOSH RUINING MUH EXPERIENCE CAUSE THIS WASN’T IN MUH VANILLA”
ANd they can’t properly defend this. They will use only three “arguments” to oppose your logic:

• nochange hashtag
  • go play BFA if you like new models (which is absurd cause I personally stating that I love classic for its gameplay, and want just personal toggle for more joy and better experience)
  • this wasn’t in vanilla thuse shouldn’t be in classic (when there are already dozen of features that ALREADY in classic and WILL be in classic, but wasn’t in vanilla, btu they are okay with this)

I am not “okay” with any of it. It must just seem that way in your world view because I’m not making rage threads (like you, Beilia, and a few others) about it. I’ve certainly submit my feedback in the stress client client feedback tool, though.

Blizzard has already provided their justification on why the not-classic things are not classic (n the majority of cases). Most of which boil down to them starting with the Legion client and being unwilling to go through minutia they feel is insignificant given their time constraints/deadlines and that it would be a pandoras box of complications to try and marry the two clients together.

To quote that same exact article.

After this past year of working on this project and forging our way through the various bugs and challenges, one consistent theme that’s emerged is that the difference between what we have and what we want is clearly visible. When we look at today’s World of Warcraft, we can see the differences between the modern game and the classic one. If we tried to update the reference client, we would have instead been tracking down a lot of “invisible” changes such as exploits waiting to be abused, crashes that don’t show up until you have millions of players online at once, and more. We chose to approach the problem in a way that makes our job clear and obvious instead of difficult and hard to see.

Regardless of my opinion, Blizzard has provided an answer on most of the non-classic things and why they won’t be making them authentic. I don’t have to like it, and I don’t like it. And like I’ve said, I’ve submit feedback using the appropriate tool.

Ironically, they’ve already provided an answer to the “new models” thing too (by the quoted article I know you’ve seen many, many times). Yet, we have hundreds of rage-replies from the entitled group I dub #catertomypreferences insisting toggles to suit their personal preferences. For the record, I’ve never used “#nochanges”, hashtag campaigns are stupid (which is why I’m using it as a pejorative to reference the group wanting new models).

“go play BFA” is a suitable solution for those wanting the new models, as it’s the only place you’re going to get new models. If you want new models AND classic WoW, you’re out of luck :man_shrugging:

I can explain it, though you’re going to think it’s selfish. It is, and I still see no problem.

Anyone that wants modern graphics and cares enough to not play classic because of it is already someone I don’t want in the game. It’s a filter meant to quell the masses.

1 Like

Here is another problem I see repeatedly on this forum. There are more arguments against a toggle than this.

The one that consistently gets ignored (probably because there is no way to refute it) is this: It will take too much effort to make it work and keep it current with changes to the new models and animations. This is evidenced by them removing the toggle in the current game.

I’ve seen at least a few people (like me) pointing out that they are not opposed to the toggle in theory but in practice think it should be skipped because there are more important things to spend dev time on. Again, if Blizzard wanted to do a toggle, or thought it was important, it would still exist in BfA.

Basically, they’d need to create 8 “new” races. That would work…no?
Personally, I don’t like the Disney models or how they act. But, that’s me. I have no more or less right than the next person. I will say though, that I don’t think they “fit” with the old world. That said, with the option to set graphics to modern…that thought is effectively undermined. So really, Blizz has left this effectively open-ended. Maybe now we have old models. Personally I’d like to see it stay that way. But I’m not at all confident about it remaining that way.

I can use new models right now on private server so it’s not even hard to do. Toggle also means you don’t have to see it yourself. Literally no argument against it.

1 Like

So the OP is basically, “We shouldn’t be fighting, so just submit to calls for a toggle!”

Low energy…

No, it’s far more complicated than that.

Models aren’t just characters. They’re rocks, trees, buildings, stumps, logs, carts, literally everything and their accompanying textures. It’s HUGE!

So basically you need an entirely separate map placement table that places each new file in its respective place throughout the world. The file names aren’t the same, so it won’t just overlay. The people using newer models in the old 1.12 client don’t realize that it’s renaming and placing the models. Many new models don’t work or aren’t in yet, because the person probably never got around to it or just missed a good amount of things.

It’s not quite as simple as people think. Completely swapping the models can’t just be plugged in like a simple LUA script addon. It has to be hard coded into the client. Then you need the robust feature set that swaps everything and reads from a different directory, on the fly. They would have to go through and make sure every single new models name is the same as it’s classic counterpart.

This isn’t a light switch they can just turn on and off. Blizzard knew exactly what this was. That’s why they obviously compromised a bit by using older models and textures, rendered at a slightly higher resolution, and left in a toggle for residual components like the new water, increased foliage, and new lighting with shadows.

Oh god I freaking lol’ed.

You act like it’s a damn privilege that they get this.

“We can allow people with disabilities to participate”

LISTEN UP COLOR BLIND PEOPLE THIS IS A PRIVILEGE YOU’RE BEING GIVEN TO BE ALLOWED TO PLAY CLASSIC!

Oh god lol.

1 Like