The Graphics War

Can someone please explain to me why people have such an issue with “toggle new graphics on client side Vs OG graphics” I can understand both sides but it’s such a small issue that both sides fight and would die for…

Some people clearly care too much about graphics and think that is going to change the entire experience of the game… but… its just visual. i understand that the visuals of something tie in heavily to the nostalgia but not everyone got to experience vanilla or things before Cata. and that is totally fine. I assume a big reason people are interested in Classic is because the game PLAYS different from retail.

I’d argue that people who make those posts about graphics feel exactly the same way as the #nochanges group about how they want to see the game. its just slightly different. each side is use to seeing what they’ve seen for X amount of play time and that’s what they got use to and like.

And i totally understand where they are coming from. Do you really think Blizzard would have made their game looking like Vanilla if they had the same technology and experience as they do now? I highly doubt it. That was just the best/all they had back then.

I personally waited 13 years to see the Paladin take out a book to cast their spells and I would love to see that in Classic as an option, but if i don’t see it I’m fine personally. The biggest reason i want Classic is because of the mechanics of the game. This is where i think people need to really focus their attention. Graphics? Psh whatever i dont care what they look like as long as the game plays well and/or is interesting.

Because in reality, the game play is what got you hooked onto WoW not necessarily the graphics, thats just what was available at the time.

My point is, This is the ONE thing that could/should be allowed by the #nochanges crowd because like everyone says… “it doesn’t effect you its client side…” that’s like bashing people who put color into black and white photos. Should that not be done because it would ruin the nostalgia of the picture? should we not restore paintings and sculptures because its not exactly the same as it once was?

This isn’t Vanilla wow, its a remake, a restoration, a near perfect clone. If toggled updated graphics upsets people then there should be way more threads about getting rid of Layering.

TLDR its the game play that got you hooked onto wow and new people want to experience it, the graphics help with the nostalgia. the fight between what graphics is used is pointless and wouldn’t change Classic. plus, they wont add the new graphics… duh

15 Likes

A toggle isn’t authentic.

26 Likes

No changes. If it was not in classic I don’t want it.

27 Likes

A toggle was removed because they couldn’t make it work in the retail game. That should tell you all you need to know.

18 Likes

You don’t know exactly why it was removed because Blizzard has never made a statement regarding the removal.

Couldn’t is different from wouldn’t.

3 Likes

Some of my friends that were in to the illicit server scene tell me about a huge texture modding community out there, and that they were able to simply download updated .mpq files to bring in modern models & textures into older versions of the game (Vanilla, TBC)

Obviously that wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) fly on official servers, due to the potential of abuse with user modified textures…but it at least shows that it IS possible to insert new models / textures into an otherwise dated version of the game.

It also seems reasonable that there could be some programmatic way to select different (Blizzard Approved) .mpq files to leverage based on a setting.

2 Likes

the new models look like straight up garbage and blizzard wasn’t even able to have a functional toggle on and off in the actual game… so no… get over it OP. and work on your awful taste.

27 Likes

lol at “a toggle”. Do you really think that’s all it takes ?

NE’s couldn’t “toggle” since Legion because the 2 could not co-exist anymore.

2 Likes

There is no war. Why would models from a different game be shoved into Classic? There is no logical basis for that.

Play BfA for BfA models. Play Classic for Classic models. Just like any other of the games’ features.

15 Likes

Everyone has a slightly different reason why.

My personal opinion is that since they don’t like players modding the engine themselves, if they add a toggle or other graphic option they wouldn’t be able to track if someone is abusing the system by using their own graphics.

I understand that there are people who prefer the older models vs the new ones used in BfA…but suggesting that people who prefer the new models go play BfA instead isn’t completely fair. They aren’t the same game.

People play Classic WoW vs BfA first & foremost because the game play is so different than what the current version of the game offers.

Just because I prefer the new model of my void walker vs the old one doesn’t mean I wan’t to be able to AOE steamroll dungeons and farm world quests all day.

If there is a technical reason why it can’t happen…so be it. Suggesting though, that people who love Classic WOW game play go play BfA because they prefer the models seems silly.

7 Likes

From what I’ve heard, the new models actually do affect gameplay somewhat. If that’s true, there ya go.

1 Like

As I’ve said before, I am fine with a toggle option as long as the work required to make it happen does not delay, hamper or hinder the release in any way. If that means you have to wait until some time after the release for a non-classic feature to be added, so be it.

Opinion time! I freaking loathe the new models and animations, I logged in for the first time in years just recently and the whole aesthetic felt so wrong, so awful, so… not-World of Warcraft. I love the old models and animations because that’s what I had for the entirety of my time playing the game (release -> Firelands in Cataclysm).

I get that some people hate the old models as much as I hate the new ones, and I want people to enjoy Classic just as much as I am going to - so I am okay with the idea of a toggle, again, on the following grounds:

• I never want to see the new models

• It must only exist as an option

• It can’t delay the release of the game or any Classic content/phases

As long as that criteria is met, it’s all good.

11 Likes

How so? Hit box sizes?

1 Like

Wow. I also quit WoW for the first time ever in Firelands patch.

There was a lot more to it then just slapping a new face on the toon.

Character skeletons changed, animations changed and gear had to change to fit on the new models.

If it were that easy to maintain both the old and new then retail would have it today.

3 Likes

I think so…? I feel like I remember the people who explained it to me mention something about hit-boxes, yeah.

Classic is classic.

“Just a toggle” and “it doesn’t negatively impact others” makes no sense, when the entire goal is providing an authentic experience. Not a “WoW - Burger King Edition, have it your way!”.

Classic should be classic, and luckily will stay classic per Blizzard’s entire stated goal for classic to be authentic.

Source: World of Warcraft Official Website
Date: November 3rd, 2018
Article Name: Restoring History: Creating WoW Classic Panel Recap

In restoring World of Warcraft Classic, our guiding principle has been to provide an authentic experience. Things might run a bit smoother and the hardware is better, but the game should still look and feel like you’re playing World of Warcraft from 2006. Things like combat equations, original models, and hunter skills are certainly part of that—but things like social dynamics are a part of that too.

Guess you’ll have to deal with it and have classic be classic. Don’t want classic graphics? Don’t play classic.

5 Likes

Original Vanilla player here, and yeah, I hate the old graphics too. But… I would rather they stick with the old, than have them make an exception here. One exception leads to more, and before you know it, transmog is in the game. So, I will deal, and re-live the early 2000’s.

2 Likes

People who are #nochangers are stupid and deaf to logic.
I know cause I argued a LOT with them in my and other thread which are the same theme as yours: about graphic toggle.
Most logical people are people like you, who see both sides and understand where they are coming from.
My personal view. I was always a sucker for graphics, new textures, better animations, better mesh and VFX, soI want all that superb artist did in retail to be able to use in Classic (well not all new graphics are better, I don’t like a bit there and here how it came out, but overall I’m for it against old outdated graphics of vanilla). Cause I care about gameplay. But I do care about visuals as well but less.
This means that I will ask over and over about this toggle, but if blizzards will shut me up with “we can’t we won’t” I will shut up. Cause I understand that this isn’t my game where I making the rules. They didn’t do so though.
And when they will say so (if) I will play outdated graphics as all other people. Cause again, I care about gameplay a little bit more than I care about graphics. But new graphics will just raise my interest in vanilla by 35%. Which is enough for me to create a “whiny” thread how people called it and defend my arguments there. Explaining people who interested in my opinion why there should be a toggle, and refute nonsense absurde of other people who just randomly type #nochange or “muh vanilla, that wasn’t there”. which aren’t real arguments.