The Goldshire - Moon Guard Problem.. even now

You should be moderating what your 12 year old does and sees on the internet anyways. Blizz provides all the tools to do so

1 Like

Given how kids have constant access to the internet these days with their phones, and how kids learn from each other how to bypass parental controls and/or borrow their peers phones, it’s outright foolishness to think that one’s child is safe and protected just because you use all the parental tools.

If I had a kid, and I taught this kid and I put all kinds of parental controls on their phone, their computer, etc, there’s nothing stopping this kid from borrowing one of their friends’ jailbroken phones to go over to the 'hub for example.

You can’t be with your kid 24/7 and I think that companies that run online games that welcome 13+ year old children should also take some of the responsibility to make sure that the content in said game is reasonably moderated for that age group in mind.

1 Like

So you don’t have kids, but if you did you would expect every game and site to protect your kid from the idea that grownups have kids?

I fully acknowledge that it’s an “at your own risk” activity. I just don’t see a real reason for Blizzard to do anything about it at this point in time. It’s not a pedo ring. If it becomes that, then yeah, something will have to be done, but that doesn’t seem to be where we’re at with MG-Goldshire. It’s largely adults doing adult things privately. If they want to take that risk, so be it.

Although I will say that people seem pretty good about including 18+ warnings in their profiles, so I’d imagine those same people are pretty good about straight up asking the person before doing anything as well. Not sure if that holds less weight than the apps you were talking about, but it’s something at least.

If I had kids, and I allowed them to play an MMORPG that advertises that it’s for children ages 13 and up, I would expect reasonable moderation, and I wouldn’t want them playing a game in which they can randomly teleport to an area and see graphic descriptions of BDSM in /yell, lol.

If it were just whispers, I’d agree with you. But Elwynn - General and /yell has had some pretty … uh… weird conversations I would not let a 13 year old child of mine anywhere near.

And it’s not like it’s just one troll randomly yelling stuff, I’ve seen it many times so that implies it goes on there regularly.

1 Like

Imagine trying to police what consenting adults do for fun on a video game.

1 Like

And how do you know they are adults?

WoW is marketed at 13+ year old children.

1 Like

You can say thay about 99% of games, especially online ones. I guess just don’t let kids play. Then again its not like companies require birth certs and other ID to play their games.

What in Goldshire is sexual Harassment?
Its consensual and also virtual.
It may be in poor taste to outsiders but no one involved is complaining.

Unless you are claiming that the avatars are being forced against their will by the person controlling them to participate in such acts.
… yeah … good luck with that.

2 Likes

I’d be totally fine with Blizz cracking down on the public stuff more. I’m not gonna say it doesn’t happen, but most of the /yells and such are pretty blatant trolls that wouldn’t be missed.

Frankly it’s a lot quieter than it used to be. I was AFK in MG Elwynn for a full 25 minutes at like 9PM yesterday (I didn’t want to miss a whisper and Trade Chat would’ve knocked it out) and there was not a single word spoken in /yell or /1.

Most games moderate what you can say in public channels.

Maybe it’s because I only go to Elwynn while the Faire is up, but it seems like every time I go there, there’s nasty junk in /y or /1.

Maybe on “off hours” (or days) while the Faire isn’t up, maybe it’s a bit better about that.

Also, Yells from players have a limited range. If you’re way over by red ridge you won’t hear a yell from Goldshire, I don’t think. So it depends on where you were idling.

People doing that should be reported and banned.

Everyone,

As the Executive Sponsor of the Moon Guard Women’s Network and the Goldshire Compliance Officer, I wanted to reach out to you. A recently filed lawsuit presents a distorted and untrue picture of the Goldshire Inn, including factually incorrect, old, and out of context stories — some from more than a decade ago.

The Goldshire Inn management team is great with good values. When I joined the Moon Guard Women’s Network, I was certain that I was joining a team where I would be valued, treated with respect, and provided opportunities equal to those afforded to the men of the Moon Guard leadership. For me, this has been true during my time. As a leader, I am committed to making sure that the experience I have is the same as the rest of the organization. We have a leadership team that is committed to these principles in every way.

I am proud to be part of a company that takes a hard—line approach to inappropriate or hostile work environments and sexual harassment issues. Our Moon Guard Speak Up campaign reinforces our zero tolerance for retaliation against those who do speak up. We’ve made significant investments to foster inclusive behaviors, and to reflect greater diversity within our leadership teams including:

• Investing in and strengthening our DE&I Employee Networks; creating global networks to bring together the efforts in all of our business units and the introduction of Executive Sponsors, (such as myself)

• Introducing learning and development programs, including inclusive hiring training.

• Amplifying internal programs such as the Way2Play Heroes and the recurring Speak Up campaign.

• Reinforcing channels for employees to report violations including the “ASK List.”

• Introducing an Employee Relations team dedicated to investigating employee concerns.

• Continuing to require all employees to take Equality & Diversity training including anti—harassment training (and have done so for many years).

We put tremendous effort into creating fair compensation policies that reflect our commitment to equal opportunity. We review compensation regularly and feel confident that we pay all employees fairly for equal or substantially similar work. We take proactive steps to ensure that pay and advancement are driven by merit. We reward performance, and we conduct extensive anti—discrimination trainings, including for those who are part of the compensation process.

We work at a company that truly values equality and fairness. Rest assured that Goldshire Inn leadership is committed to continuing to maintain a safe, fair, and inclusive workplace. We cannot let egregious actions of others, and a truly meritless and irresponsible lawsuit, damage our culture of respect and equal opportunity for all employees. We aspire in our company to do great things: in our games, in our impact on society, and in our work environment. We continue to hold firm to our principles and invest, as we have in the past, the resources to ensure quality opportunities for all employees. We remain committed as a leadership team to doing what is right.

-Walkerbo

Is it odd that I did the Maw stuff with him once?

Before 9.1?

ERP is part of RP

How hard is it to understand?

Have you ever been in trade chat

Or raid general chats

Or literally any chat with lots of people.

If I let my kid play WoW I would immediately turn off all global/zone chats. They’re all vile.

1 Like

I mean, its not just a male issue. The amount of female players who actually use ERP in game to get rl cash or in game gold is pretty wide spread. Its on the same line as hottub streamers and those women who sit half naked and lick their microphones for money. Where theres a market theres people that will make use of it. Thats human nature. But if you think women are all taken advantage of and innocent without question, hate to break it to you but your wrong.
And this is coming from a female.

That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard some dumb things. Widespread? Just because occasionally you see a girl or two advertising her Onlyfans that typically quickly gets shut down doesn’t mean that it’s common among female players.

It’s pretty widespread in GS. I seent it.

Not every female player, and most of them doing it in GS are probably male irl anyway… But it’s still a pretty widespread thing.

1 Like

What, among players on Moon Guard? Among female players? It’s a handful of people, at best, that doesn’t make it widespread.