The Awful Horde Narrative

So you don’t know anything about his motivation, his goals, his aims?

Hmmm, youv’e some reading ahead of you mate.

2 Likes

No one knows anything about his motivations, goals, or aims. It’s kinda the point.

1 Like

This.
Absolutely THIS!
The different sides of a war shouldn’t be this cut-and-dried.
While I never was a ‘fanboi’ of her, I always respected Sylvanas’ role in the horde; primarily from the viewpoint of ‘Hey she got us Belfs out of the cold after the Alliance went poo-poo on us.’.
And now? Forget it; I agree with Zamari.
All we can hope for is her VERY quick demise.

#ShouldersOFF4Saurfang

2 Likes

What drew me to the Horde originally was the sense that it was a band of misfit survivors. They were defiant and gritty and took no crap offa anyone.

Sylvanas, once upon a time, was the very embodiment of that. When she stood at Vol’jin’s pyre and asked us, “Who will help me avenge him?” I felt chills. That was the heart of why I loved playing Horde.

It was around the time that BfA was announced that she started treating her followers as mere “arrows in her quiver.” Now you send followers on missions to attack Alliance as they evacuate people from Teldrassil or go out yourself to kill rogue monks who only want to heal the wounded. Playing Horde in BfA demands that you be a villain and tolerate following leaders who treat you with open contempt. It’s stopped being fun and I can barely motivate myself to log into my Horde toons anymore.

6 Likes

This. A thousand times this.

Most Horde players, especially those who started due to Warcraft III like myself, liked the “New Horde” ruled by Thrall. Blizzard has continuously tried to make the Horde more “hardcore”, even though it destroys the pride and feeling of the faction. Meanwhile, they write the Alliance as being pure as freshly fallen snow. The Alliance never gets to be vicious, hateful, or downright wrong, leading to a disgustingly black/white morality crap that most Horde, and some Alliance, never signed up for.

Now with Sylvanas, they have utterly written themselves into a corner because there is no way to walk back her actions. It just can’t be done without utterly enraging the vast majority of the playerbase. She needs to go, and fast. The “Muahahahahaha! Look how EVIL I am!” crap has become utterly stale, and needs to be cut out. It’s ran its course. Shove Calia on the throne for some course correction, and have Alleria or Tyrande be the next instigators of a massacre or war crime if they somehow try to shove another Faction War down our throats, rather than any member of the Horde. We’re sick of being the “bad guys” when were never supposed to be the villains post-Warcraft III. Either go back to the Cold War, or have the Alliance be the aggressors for once.

5 Likes

My side, as the aggressors? Hmm, might work: lets practice…

Snarls
Growls
Froths

HEY!
Are you even paying attention!

He was already off-the-rails before he got the old god stuff in him, which is sad because it seems that he was paranoid/panicking in SoO but not before.

I think this is because he was expecting Thrall to be the warchief again rather than Vol’jin or anyone else for that matter (look at the cinematic when Vol’jin states that he speaks for the Horde, he looks at Thrall for confirmation). The message was intended for Thrall.

1 Like

I think some Alliance leaders should be shelved. The lore writing seems to be heavily biased in favor for the Alliance. The Alliance turned their backs on the Forsaken. So they have disdain anger towards them. Sylvanas said it herself. “So we threw our lot in with the Horde” Hero gone bad complex, they did that to Garrosh…now Sylvanas. They made her anti hero.

2 Likes

*nods with a frown

3 Likes

I liked the Horde when Garrosh was alive.

I liked the Horde when Thrall wore REAL ARMOR, and not those lovebeads.

1 Like

Well antihero is ok as long as it doesn’t overpower the heroic representations of the other Horde characters/races.

The issue is the Horde once again is under the authority of an unethical, ill-fitting maniac that doesn’t represent the Horde at large.

2 Likes

Or you know, a villain.

4 Likes

The writing in this game hasn’t been good for a long time, not just on Horde side.

You know, I know some love the Horde Narrative, some Hate it. But the biggest problem I have seen so far is that until recently you just had to sit there and take it in the face.

I am glad to see they are at least allowing you to participate or not without locking you out of the content completely.

Horde are the villains. Always have been. The writing just pushed the delicate balance they began with to its limits.

By invasion, by nature, by circumstance or by inner politics…they are not for the order that over time made the Alliance what it is. The Horde tragically seeks to survive in a new world for each of their factions but simultaneously can’t help itself and remains “uncivilized” against each other, within their own factions and certainly against the ancient hard won civilizations of Azeroth.

Certainly alliance has hd its villains and evil actions but theirs is always a push back against chaos.

It’s in the colors, architecture, leadership, inner faction politics and every aspect of the game.

Why fight this? It’s a game. It’s a virtual RPG as far as it’s narrative. Play the heros and or villains. That’s the fun of Blizzards very binary style between the two factions.

If Horde are the villains, why do we keep getting forced into civil wars because much/most of the Horde doesn’t support whatever evil actions are being done?

It would be one thing if Blizzard made the Horde the bad guy and then justified it by having the Horde fully behind those actions, but this constant destruction of the Horde for the sake of giving a villain for the Alliance to beat on is getting old.

2 Likes

You know who the REAL villains are?

Necromancers.

1 Like

Honestly I think horde are getting more fan service with the current narrative. It’s a little odd for sylvanas character to be so careless and evil but I think it’ll turn out to be void influenced so…

Leader turns dictator and mass murderer under what was formerly a noble state? That’s actually happened irl. Believable.
Let’s not forget how she left varian to die.
So we have been building to this. She was just not war chief years ago.

The horde will be exonerated. And noble again. They are just currently under the sway of a extremist.

Can we just agree that the promotion of Christie Golden to the writing team for this expansion was massively over-hyped?

This is THE worst-written expansion yet. Even the alternate universe mindbender that was WoD flowed better storywise than this abysmal, time gated, drawn out faction war that isn’t a faction war anymore.

I used to like Sylvanas. Now she’s beyond redemption in my eyes and this whole expac just makes me want her to die the true death and take her obnoxious toady Nathanos with her.

They’ll try to redeem her … they can’t help themselves … it’ll all be for the good of Azeroth somehow but it’s done for me. She’s a mentally unstable cartoon villain and she needs to go.

I literally wretched in my own mouth after defeating Azshara when Jaina and Lor’themar had their “we need to stop fighting/we’re stronger together” moment. Um … Legion? Joined forces and defeated the big bad? 'Member that?

Terrible, terrible writing you’d expect from a 1950’s comic book, not an MMO in the 21st century.

2 Likes