The Awful Horde Narrative

Garrosh went nutso because an Old God fed and nurtured it in him, I thought that was pretty much established.

What I recall of the Alliance side of the story in SoO is Varian all hot and bothered for a fight after putting down Garrosh, walking over to the newly-minted Warchief and saying “you…now you don’t be bad again! Or else we’ll come back!”

I literally cringed, the first time I finished Siege on an ally alt. Criiiiiiiinged.

3 Likes

Fact Orcs in their nature are meant to destroy if you want to know more read the chronicles vol 2

One day, Orc will rise up with Saurfang and we have Kor’kron rebllion to take back the horde.

1 Like

You are entitled to your opinion about those things, that is all I have to offer. :slight_smile:

And they word the “choice” in a way that you question if you even have a choice in the matter because it’s not the “correct path” that they want you to follow.

4 Likes

The storyline is entirely horde centric in part based on a mary poppins snowflake troll. Trolls are otherwise portrayed otherwise as thuggish, opportunistic, and political. A less refined culture of their descendants. So as a forsaken DK I get to go around doing her legwork as a do-gooder hero, which makes me wonder why she was imprisoned by Anduin, who is actually very wise and quite bright (despite peanut gallery comments who haven’t been paying attention to his character development) in the first place.

The story only works if Tlanji is an SI:7 asset/agent and alliance sympathizer. Otherwise a lot of us, who wanted to play a badass horde, went around playing her lap dog trying to impress and influence her to use her for her potential influence and navy. But horde isn’t supposed to be evil these days, but honor and all that. All the while Nathanos chiding and threatening me :+1: . At least his character is immersive.

Then you get to the part about Saurfang. Slyvannas commands you to find him to rescue him. In the beginning Saurfang refused to be rescued, so clearly Slyvanas knows that. Anyway she claims alliance is going to kill him so you need to find them before they do. :roll_eyes: . Eventually you find him and are forced to chose. Being an ebon blade deathknight forsaken it’s a pretty easy choice as Slyvanas has been lieing to you all along playing games and Saurfang is actually honorable. They are raising mindless undead irresponsibly to boot. My character, along with the ebon blades and the lich king would have had her head.

The storyline reminds me of fanfiction result driven writing revolving around their characters. I imagine they aren’t professional writers, but they have to be able to take constructive criticism. You’ve never published a book of fiction. Your narrative for the story and take on racial relations is probably the worst I’ve ever read or been a part of in a video game…Yes…it REALLY IS that bad.

2 Likes

Genuine question. How?

The storyline reminds me of fanfiction result driven writing revolving around their characters. I imagine they aren’t professional writers, but they have to be able to take constructive criticism. You’ve never published a book of fiction. Your narrative for the story and take on racial relations is probably the worst I’ve ever read or been a part of in a video game…Yes…it REALLY IS that bad.

There was a fantastic thread that popped up about two weeks ago regarding the writing.

Suffice to say, one of the “contributors” is a Nathanos fanboy. I can’t remember if he had a Nathanos pillow, but there was something on his twitter profile that made me raise an eyebrow.

Please note, we are not talking a 21 - year old kid, fresh off the programming boat, hired right out of college at Blizzard.

This was a grown man.

Now, if it’s Afriasabi that’s writing this story, then the mistakes make sense. He as demonstrated at least twice that one, he doesn’t know the lore, and two, doesn’t understand some very key concepts regarding the lore.

1 Like

It is hard to take a person seriously when they use words like “drinked.” Maybe you have a valid point, or maybe you’re a 10 y/o with a very undeveloped sense of reading between the lines, and seeing the trees, and not just the forest.

We might disagree here, I think the writing behind Nathanos is solid. I think the writing behind Slyvanas is good as well, but the overall narrative is forced and result driven making little sense what-so-ever.

1 Like

This is why Saurfang will be the next Warchief of the Horde. However, due to his old age he won’t last long maybe one expansion. A side point, the game is called World of Warcraft not World of Let’s Make Peace. One side has to offend the other to create war just like in real life. The Horde is portrayed as Yin and the Alliance as Yang in the iChing. The dynamics between these two powerful forces keeps the world of Azeroth safe even though they can never intermingle. Not a philosophy I prefer in an MMO but take it or leave it.

Both of which were severely retconned in Warcraft III. Kind of like how Klingons got retconned into having forehead ridges.

So, no, most of the canon in Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, doesn’t matter. At least not if we are talking about the Orcs. The Orcs were originally described as breeding like literal animals, in a “fecund” fashion similar to pigs or dogs where the women existed solely to pump out vast amounts of disposable offspring, and just chucked themselves into suicidal battle for giggles, much like Warhammer Orks.

Warcraft III made them into greenskinned Klingons with some Mongol and Viking overtones, that had generally loving families of a father and mother, and children, much in the same way that Humans or Elves have kids (or any Warcraft playable species, for that matter).

6 Likes

If winning feels this bad (specifically as a Night Elf), I don’t ever want to win again.

2 Likes

exactly how do alliance know the story of mythrax, bwonsamdi, and the old gods? If BFA’s story is meant for them, they’d surely know, right?

“I’ve been guided by a higher power that told me there are treasures to be won here to help me fight in future battles!”

In other words, they never thought about actual plot motivation for Alliance and it’s only a raid. Screw sensible plot, right? ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It’s why I always scrutinize posts that claim that any expansion was tailored for one faction over the other.

This is a compelling point for me. Thank you for the well-written and passionate plea. +1

3 Likes

I would say Legion was centered around the Alliance more than Horde. There were the Nightborne and Highmountain, but that was before we knew they were allied races. There was Varian in the intro, Val’shara and EN, Illidan, follwing Velen around lie a puppydog, Alleria and Turalyon.

3 Likes

This right here. There is a reason we don’t go after every blood elf or draenei like the raid bosses we kill. We aren’t holding a grudge against them like we are the leaders that joined the enemy. They are a subset of the main group, that do not represent the entirety of said group.

3 Likes

So I hate Horde. I did not choose that ‘Great honor’.
I liked Sylvanas and Forsaken the most in Warcraft3. So I chose Undead in W.O.W and it was Horde.

However, Horde fans say to discard the character of Forsaken. Tell Sylvanas to make Thrall MK.2, change or die.
They get angry that the amount of Orcs in the story has been reduced. And they do not hesitate to change the character of Forsaken.

The great ruling of Horde’s fans.
Sylvanas and Forsaken become Thrall Mk2 or die.

NO!!!

Sylvanas: The capital city is ours, but we are no longer part of the Scourge. From here on out, we shall be known as the Forsaken. We will find our own path in this world, dreadlord… and slaughter anyone who stands in our way.

’We are the forsaken we will slaughter anyone who stands in our way’

FOR THE FORSAKEN!! FOR THE SYLVANAS!!

8 Likes

And yet the Joker is one of the most popular villains ever created.

1 Like