The authentic ret experience

The most frustrating aspect of Blizzard’s response is how off-tone it is. I’m specifically referring to the piece where Blizz wants to “preserve the authentic wrath experience.”

Here’s my experience. In Vanilla, Ret was this weird, clunky, hybrid spec that didn’t have much of a place other than world pvp. In OG TBC, it was still a very mediocore dps that never really found itself. I don’t remember “seal twisting” ever being a thing in the original version. Maybe it was in very high end guilds, but I had never heard of it until Classic TBC re-release.

Then came Wotlk.

Their damage toolkit smoothed out incredibly with Divine Storm. The changes to Seals kept them engaging, but manageable. They were a solid, sought after dps, but they suffered some nerfs throughout Wotlk that were bandaid fixed by the ICC Tier.

That was the “authentic” Ret experience. A wonderfully designed, valuable asset to a raid both in terms of utility and raid damage. It was finally the specs time to shine after two expansions of unviability or mediocrity.

My only point (if there is one) is that there is a reason the Ret community is so frustrated. Rets finally had their moment in Wotlk from start to finish. That was the authentic experience. Whatever this is, isn’t that, and it’s disheartening that such a great spec has once again become a meme.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but Blizzard’s response left me feeling even worse than before I read it.

Updated Proposal for Ulduar:

Here is what I think would be the most balanced and efficient way to address Rets abysmal single target.

The Ulduar 2-Set Bonus offers Ret a 10% increase to Exorcism. What if Blizzard tweaked this, so that instead of a flat 10% damage increase, casting Exorcism placed a DoT on the target that dealt decent damage. This wouldn’t impact our Cleave all that much, but could potentially help bring us up a bit with Single Target. If PvP is a worry, they could just make it the 4-Set Bonus, so it wasn’t used.

41 Likes

Reroll or endure it.

10 Likes

Is this the thread that I ask for the authentic DK experience?

22 Likes

“I’m only OP in arena I wanna be OP in PvE too” what a stupid post

15 Likes

Agreed. Rets are the best Arena spec/class by far. Thanks for summing up my post.

3 Likes

Thankfully Holy still feels freaking AMAZING.

3 Likes

I for one support rets rerolling. The paladin community desperately needs all the crybabies pruned and gatekept.

12 Likes

Where’s MY patch progression?

MOAR!

RAWR!!

2 Likes

For real, if all you crybabies care about is being OP in both pve and pvp then theres one perfect class for you.

Warlock.

6 Likes

I played Wrath during Wrath… I would have loved to have met a Ret that fit this description then (but I didn’t). And even now… it’s Phase 1, and Ret is good enough.

But also, when has every spec from every class been optimal for all content in WoW’s history, including Retail?

6 Likes

Every iteration of classic has been the final patch all throughout the entire game. You knew this. The only authentic experience you get is final patch experience, which you also knew about. You chose to roll ret just like others, like me, chose to roll badly performing specs. Don’t ask for changes because your spec sucks.

1 Like

I’d say we are getting the authentic experience. Massive amounts of morons talk crap, Blizzard has horrible responses, trolls are crapping their pants with excitement at getting to act like idiots at paladins expense. Yup, just like the old days.

12 Likes

Ret is fine. It’s perfectly viable for all content in the game and the data shows that.

4 Likes

Thing about ret is… if you buff them now, they’re going to be out-of-control OP when they get Shadowmourne.

3.3.5 ret on pservers was in a good place but that has a lot to do with Smourne.

I doubt the average ret player could handle a rotation like affliction or demo.

5 Likes

Another thread about: I rolled a paladin to play ret, and I don’t like the playstyle of ret. Please make ret a warrior that heals and tosses out crazy powerful buffs. Thx.

6 Likes

This has nothing to do with Blizzard. The players are playing differently. The game is 14 years old… Folks have had time to figure a few things out.

2 Likes

They haven’t even attempted an authentic Wrath experience yet… it is just who they are anymore in terms of classic.

1 Like

All ret pallys sound like anime carrecters.

4 Likes

You play retail, because class balance shouldn’t be touched in Classic. This can be done post Classic if Blizzard reruns the whole thing.