The alternative to sharding: Patience

Yes, the people from current that are going to play Classic will play Classic no matter when it is released. The important part that you left out, though, is that releasing Classic and a major BFA content patch will definitely have an affect on when they start playing Classic.

Even if you are correct and the effect is minimal, is it not better to try a something that may only have a minimal effect, than to do nothing to alleviate or reduce the population that would need to be “controlled”?

That solution does target everyone. Anyone can buy a CE, if they value it enough.

Are you one of those that wants to have their cake and eat it,too, or are you just trying to “protect them”?

What is wrong with BFA players having to choose whether to consume the new BFA content first or dive into Classic first?

Why is it perfectly fine for those BFA players who want the convenience of sharding to tell those who desire a truer Classic experience to choose between playing with sharding at launch or waiting until the initial rush has passed and “sharding is over” to start playing, but not fine for those BFA players to have to choose where to devote their time first?

1 Like

I support Sharding, just like I support Guild Banks, because both provide, inter alia, convenience. In fact, I support permanent sharding in any zone where it is needed.

Didn’t leave it out, said it would have a minimal effect.

what would be better is to come up with an idea that does not just target the smallest player source., we are only talking about the release at the time of the BfA patch?

Then its purpose would be nothing for what you intended it for as I already stated, a very minimal effect, though out of the 2, yes it would have more of an effect on returning players.

Lol no, that solution is the worst one by far, it does nothing but target the smallest player source, does nothing at all to the much larger player sources.

Priced accordingly it could have just the right impact. Too low and so many people would buy it, that it wouldn’t reduce the population too much. Too high and not enough people buy it and same effect. Somewhere in the middle and they split up the initial playerbase enough not to warrant sharding (which I maintain still isn’t necessary).

1 Like

I specifically said that releasing that major BFA content patch and Classic at the same time may not completely remove the need for “population control”, but it would reduce the population that would need to be “controlled”.

I’d rather see them release Classic and a major BFA content patch on the same day and still need to “control” the population of Classic by some means than to release them at differnet times, KNOWING that would have a drastically negative impact on the 'server load".

Imo, it would have be at least half of what they get for CEs now, maybe no more than 30$, like you said too much and you have the same effect/

So let’s get down to it, you just hate anyone who currently plays retail but you don’t really care about classic launch at all. All your solution does is hurt people who might be playing both while doing nothing to really help the initial launch of classic.

Why am I not surprised that a retail player is opposed having to choose where to devote their time first and wants to be able to have their cake and eat it, too.

IMO, releasing Classic and a major BFA content patch at the same time and “sharding” the potential Classic player base one time before they even try to log into Classic or BFA is one of the best ideas put forth so far. It does not prevent anyone from diving into Classic on day one. Those who play BFA can always choose to log into Classic on day one.

1 Like

Ah… so suddenly you support sharding? As long as it also punishes people who might play BFA.

Not entirely true.
People who have the desire and the money to buy early access will and that number is probably far larger than you or I think.
The vast majority of game day tourist are going to be coming from modern wow. Players which more than likely have a vested interest in modern wow and have no real interest in making classic their primary game.

Will doing those eliminate the cf of launch day? No. It will however take a large number of players out of the launch day scenario

1 Like

/sarcasm on

Reducing the initial number of players trying to log into Classic does nothing to help the initial launch of Classic? Riiiiiight.

/sarcasm off

why only worry about the smallest player source? at least a CE box cost would have a larger impact on all player sources.

Though it looks like their wouldn’t be a major patch to release around that time though, unless they were done early Summer for 8.2

Nowhere did i say I support sharding.

What I said was “If it helps you, think of BFA and classic as two different shards. Release Classic and a major content patch on the same day and the potential classic player base is “sharded” one time before they even try to log into either BFA or Classic.”

Releasing Classic at the same time as a major BFA content patch would likely divide the potential Classic player base one time before anyone even tries to log into BFA or Classic. It does not prevent anyone, even BFA players, from diving into Classic on day one.

After reading a few of the responses that does indeed seem to be the reason.
They don’t want to possibly fall behind in modern but at the same time don’t want to miss launch day.

yah i boo booed there, the patch one is what i really meant as only focusing on one group.

Yah, i doubt this heartily, though it brings us to how do we define ‘tourist’, anyone who doesn’t play this amount is not worthy? But no with former players being the much much larger player source, you are going to have more tourists there due to sheer numbers.

The patch one? a large number? nah, a minimal number? sure

The CE box with early access? would have more of an effect and actually applies to everyone, if they frame it right it could go over better than a perceived cash grab.

They can always try more than one means to address that initial rush.

They could offer a CE that includes early access as well as releasing Classic and a major BFA content patch, say 8.2, at the same time. They could do other things, as well.

I didn’t think they said early summer for Classic.

I though they simply said summer. If all they said was summer, that could be anytime from late June to late September.

well that definitely does not apply to me in the least ,lol.