The alternative to sharding: Patience

For everyone who is ‘pro-sharding’ because they are concerned about overpopulated zones (and the server instability that would come with that):

Would it be so bad to simply wait 3-4 weeks after realease, for the zones to become less crowded?

24 Likes

No thanks queue times suck a lot more than sharding.

11 Likes

Its not about overpopated zones, waiting for mobs, having quest mobs taken endlessly, or whatever other excuse you want to throw out.

Its about access. Being able to log in and play. This is why I support sharding for the first few weeks.

4 Likes

All the people I see being pro-sharding are the same people that were against kiting in the kiting thread. Their reason for no kiting, because kiting world bosses to cities could ruin a players fun. Well, sharding ruins the authenticity and fun for a lot of players. So which is it, guys?

16 Likes

seeing as your all for all sorts of retail crap left right and center we won’t take your word for it.

15 Likes

So you would rather have queues and server crashes?

2 Likes

I’d rather have longer que times for a few weeks than sharding. If there is temporary sharding due to high populations, I’d not play until the population died down.

16 Likes

had zero issues with either even at BC launch, and that was on older technology with 8 million players all trying to go from one zone to another.

20 Likes

And yet a lot of people did have tons of issues with both queue times and server stability during vanilla and BC, and wrath.

3 Likes

on high population servers.
release enough servers for us to spread ourselves out, we have 6 starting zones instead of one.

unless you seriously think classic is going to have 48 million players it shouldn’t be an issue.

10 Likes

And releasing too many servers just to meet initial population surges results in dead servers.

4 Likes

Speaking only for me, yes I would.

That would be far more authentic and in keeping with vanilla than artificially dividing the server population.

14 Likes

that’s why you don’t release too many.

1 Like

I don’t think 3-4 weeks is necessary, tbh. With or without sharding, it’s probably not a bad idea to wait a day or two before trying to do questing in the starting zones.

I plan on logging in day 1 and getting several toons named and into an inn gathering rested buff, then I’ll log off a few days and come back.

1 Like

The pro-sharding people will tell people who want authenticity that they should just wait a few weeks until sharding is taken away. But when you respond with saying they could wait a few weeks until the population in the starting areas has lessened, they say they shouldn’t have to make that choice. Typical hypocrisy.

The difference in the two possibilities is that one is true to an authentic experience, and one is not.

15 Likes

Heh, good luck resisting the temptation to play!

I’d do the same thing except I KNOW I wouldn’t be able to resist it.

2 Likes

Lmao. Not happening.

Change weeks to hours and I’m still laughing

1 Like

Exactly, with sharding they don’t have to release too many.

2 Likes

except with sharding you fragment the community. which is the opposite of what classic is all about.

14 Likes

I guess you could call me pro-sharding but for different reasons than most people. I’m pro-sharding because I want Blizzard to create fewer servers and allow multitudes more players on each one than they could have without sharding. Once the population stabilizes and the tourists quit after the first week, I don’t want there to a bunch of realms with low population.

You’ll also probably never find a person more open to sandbox elements like kiting than me. I’ve played a game called Tibia on and off for years. You used to be able to lure (kite) creatures from all over the game into cities and it was some of the most hilarious fun I’ve ever had in a game.