The alternative to sharding: Patience

how would that not limit tourists?

they would certainly reduce the number of tourists by a fair margin.

1 Like

did it work for any launch in WoWs history? Nope, we still had ‘tourists’, ok I’ll alter to say the impact would be as minimal as the patch one.

again very minimally if at all, people that were going to play will play no matter what.

would it remove them entirely? no. and that wasn’t the goal.
my goal is to not have sharding at all. if sharding isn’t even included in the code they don’t have it to turn on or off.

if they had to pay for it that definitely is an extra factor on whether or not they play it.

fact is i don’t even want sharding coding to be in classic wow because then blizzard can just turn it on and off as needed

but it would not make much a difference to their decision because the effect would be so minimal.

But the ones who are going to play and want to play are still going to play no matter what, both of these are just based on the assumption that most or all the ‘tourists’ will be current players, and that most of all of who plays will be current players , even though that they will be by far the smallest player source, unless Classic is a colossal failure and no one comes back.

Sharding is in the code though by default of using the new architecture, all we’re talking about is how they tune it.

The several million(maybe) current subscribers vs the tens of millions of previous subscribers of WoW who might be interested in trying classic? Yeah launch day is going to have a huge population bloom.

So if you don’t want sharding how do you suggest addressing that?

Except with todays technology there wont be hour long ques.

1 Like

And/or offer a paid early start, perhaps part of some CE. The only objections I’ve seen to this are entitled BfA players who are getting Classic for free and feel they shouldn’t have to pay anything. God forbid people truly passionate and invested in the project pay to start a few days earlier, thus eliminating the perceived need to shard.

1 Like

Then you will have another issue of way way more people in the zones than they were ever designed for. So dynamic spawns? Shared Tag mobs? Those also work, they have different affects on game play though, do you consider those better or worse than sharding?

So much for classic not having p2w aspects…

1 Like

I agree that not all the tourists will be from retail.

Launching retail and a major BFA content patch at the same time, would likely reduce the initial launch rush, though.

Many who play retail will choose to consume that content before diving into classic. Those retail players who choose to consume the new BFA content will, of course, include both “tourists” who will not likely hang around long and those who plan to play classic for a more lengthy amount of time.

Those who are returning for Classic will also include both tourists who will not likely hang around long and more long term players.

What releasing Classic and a major BFA content patch does, though, is to divide that huge initial rush into a smaller initial rush and then a more spread out infusion of additional players as those who to consume the BFA content first dive into Classic once they have consumed that BFA content. That secondary infusion will also be spread out over a period of time as those consuming that BfA content will likely do so at different rates.

We would have an initial rush on day one, but a much smaller rush than everyone and their brother diving into Classic on the same day, followed by a more spread out infusion of additional players as bFA players move from BFA to Classic once they have consumed the new BFA content.

There may still be a “log jam”, but if Blizzard chose to use queues over sharding in this event, those queues would be much shorter.

I have stated multiple times that dynamics spawns are worse than sharding.

There are things that blizzard can do to get around using sharding such as paid early access and launching non early access the same day as a major content patch as BfA.

Pretty much the whole game is going to be over populated if they go with large server populations.

It’s not a matter of may, launch of classic and likely long after will see huge surges of players. Either blizzard addresses that or they don’t, it appears they are trying to address it.

And bandaids like a separate sub or launching on a retail patch day don’t help a spurting artery.

1 Like

Yes, there will be a large initial rush, but launching a major BFA content patch at the same time as Classic will divert some (likely a substantial number) of the potential classic players into BFA, lessening the load on the classic servers.

Many of the advocates for sharding refuse to acknowledge this fact. Some of them simply want to have their cake and eat it, too. They do not want to have to choose whether to be part of the initial rush to clear BFA copntent or the initial rush of Classic.

It’s not a bad idea. Players having choices is good. Some will opt to focus on one game, and others on the other game. Classic isn’t going anywhere, so those who prioritize BfA will be able to switch back and forth whenever they wish.

1 Like

And I think you vastly overestimate just how much that would actually help the initial rush into classic. Like I said bandaids on the femoral.

Better a band-aid than an amputation, IMO.

If it helps you, think of BFA and classic as two different shards. Release Classic and a major content patch on the same day and the potential classic player base is “sharded” one time before they even try to log into either BFA or Classic.

Will that completely remove the need for some form of population control in Classic? Maybe not, but the Classic population that would need to be controlled would likely be much smaller than it would without that “first sharding” before they tried to log in to BFA or Classic.

For someone who claims they are not dead set on seeing the totally anithtetical to vanilla technology of sharding used in Classic, you seem to be awfully opposed to any suggestion that would help alleviate or reduce that initial rush.

1 Like

The effect would be minimal though, the people from current who are going to play will play no matter when it is released.

But, it would have an effect for sure, just on current players not the much larger non player category.

Everyone who pays a sub get to play Classic, no one who does not pay that sub gets to play, so no, no one plays for ‘free’.

The paid head start also does almost nothing, as what stops the current players you seem to hate so much from also paying that? Nothing, you focus waaaay too much on the smallest player source there is over the much larger player source of former players.

except as I laid out both of those will have a very minimal effect as they only focus on the smallest player source.

If you’re paying for one game, and you’re given access to another game for no additional cost, that other game is then free. But that’s not the point.

And I don’t hate any Current WoW players. I am a Current WoW player. What I’m against is exactly what Ion said: using modern values to ‘fix’ issues in Vanilla. They are therefore substituting authenticity for convenience.

2 Likes

fair enough, then come up with ideas that target everyone not just current players.