The Altar of Decay Sucks

why in the world would they do this? did they not learn about the alchemy lab in classic? great job bliz.

1 Like

It is a stupid idea to go back to vanilla stuff. We all know the game player base changed, the game changed, and these kinds of stuff were never popular, but back in the day the economy and dynamic of the game were different, and potions and flasks were basically crafted to the guild raid days.

They could do something complex or outside the towns for the Altar of Decay, but at the end of a dungeon that needs to be completed in a proper manner is stupid as hell. And the instance isn’t even on M+ rotation, which makes it even more stupid.

2 Likes

The only other special crafting bench that I’m aware of is the Earthwarder’s Forge, which is in the open world at the Obsidian Citadel. It can be reached from Valdrakken within 1 to 2 minutes by dragonflight. Yet this special bench is in a dungeon, behind the last boss, no less. There are five decayed leatherworking patterns that require this bench to make them. I understand that alchemists need it for certain potions. I only have one of the leatherworking pattens so far. I accepted a public work order to make it once, just for the first craft knowledge point. I have not accepted any more since. After reading these posts, I now know that the lockout for the dungeon can be extended so that you only need to clear it once, but that is a bandaid solution. The Altar of Decay needs to be in the open world.

1 Like

they need to make the altar accessible in the world and not just inside the dungeon.

Except its not - In Vanilla / Classic WoW the only places you could craft Flasks were in a dungeon (Scholomance) or a Raid (Blackwing Lair) so its not really “Different”

Sounds like the lamentation of the classic nostalgic players clamering for the times of yore was paid heed too.

Just run a 0 and extend the lockout every week

1 Like

It’s inconvenient.

But it adds flavor, lore, and character to the game.

And it’s possible for things to be too convenient and turn the game into a fancy graphical interface for your database record.

1 Like

Yea it adds a sour disgusting flavor of a lesson they should of learned a lesson we thought we pounded into their heads long ago. WE keep telling them dont do this and they listen and "care? for maybe 6 months and some how get amnesia for the 100th time. And consider this every other profession based special crafting sight in this expac is in the open world why not this one.

Yes Moon we can run dungeons, we just don’t enjoy that part of the game. The diversity of the game is it’s attraction IMO, so why “force” people to participate in a part of the game they don’t like. If Blizz’s goal is to force us into all aspects of the game, then why are none of these things located in Pvp zones? Or why don’t they force more grinding or questing for the raiders/dungeon runners who hate that aspect of the game.

But why should they have to? I assume there’s some aspect of the game you don’t enjoy. Would you enjoy being “forced” to do it? I play for the social aspect of the game and suffer from PTSD so running in pugs really sucks with the prevalence of the a$$holes who think this game is RL.

and?

if you don’t enjoy them don’t do them. Only a few patterns need the altar so you’ll be fine. You’re not forced to do anything, you want something and you’re upset it requires a small amount of effort in something you don’t like to get it. If I want rep I do stuff that gives rep, if I want valor I do M+, if I want raid transmog I do raid, if you want the decayed gear you run brackenhide. deal with it, it’s also weird that you comment on something I said in Dec like it was yesterday.

I just solo Normal when I need to use the Altar. Normal should be solo-able for most classes at this point in particular for any Class with a Tank spec.

IT WAS REMOVED FOR A REASON AND NOW PUT IT BACK? SEEMS BLIZZARD NEVER LEARNS! last bit added in lower caps because the forum bots are stupid.

2 Likes

Welcome to wow. It didn’t get much better.

but what is the expected solo time frame? if its the same as doing a key then… there is no point in doing it solo. join a key and kill two birds with one key stone.

1 Like

Agreed. The people wanting crafted gear get hurt the most since crafters wont bother flying there.

3 Likes

there is 1 small benefit… crafters looking to level the profession can almost guarantee the work order will be there waiting, because no one else has a reason to invest time in public work orders. this does of course mean that the expected quality of the product is going to be low, as with any other public work order. but the odds are still a bit better (that you get a penta) when a crafter doesnt have to head down to a dungeon.

so yeah. the people placing the work orders get the short end of the stick, assuming they provided the mats.

I don’t mind they put the alter into the dungeon. however it should have been just an unlocking feature where once you beat the dungeon the first time and visit it that you then can use the basic tables in town like it has the power there after… it was bad idea to keep the it only in the dungeon

2 Likes

The special crafting table stuff just needed to die where it originally did several expansions ago and never come back. The specializations and knowledge lock-in was more than enough hassle. Basically all of my characters have to run to the altar of decay, or the earth warder’s forge. That is, unless I spend over 30k on making a cauldron that I can use a handful of times.