The Altar of Decay Sucks

I realize this a necro, but the topic is actually a good one.

I do appreciate that devs put more work into professions this time around but a lot of things absolutely do need to be reworked such as group content requirements (professions should be their own pillar), too many grades of materials, too many grades of quality, too much RNG on end product , timegated knowledge point aquisition, and no way to reset KP.

It’s okay if resetting KP is a long quest chain you can only do once a season… but still, there needs to be some sort of option somewhere.

1 Like

You know alchemists can craft an alter of decay to use anywhere right?

2 Likes
2 Likes

is it like single use or can it be used multiple times? Also this thread was put up before that item existed and boy was it harsh as that altar was only accessible if the last boss was dead and it was a pain to keep going back for it at times.

Yea it has multiple charges. But you do have to craft it at the alter in the den of decay

It has three charges and you get the Rot Resistant Cauldron back to recraft once they’re used up.

Most of my guildmates and friends, who have need of the Den in Brackenhide, just keep extending a cleared M0 version of the dungeon to avoid needing to run it anymore. At this point it’s mostly the alchemists that need to keep it, as long as everyone else keeps cauldrons on hand!

You know it costs a Dracothyst, 200 Zaralek Spores, and 3 Decay to craft it, right? And it only has 3 charges?

That’s over 10,000 gold at today’s prices.

For 3 charges.

But you do NOT get back the 10k gold in other mats.

The Altar of Decay still sucks.

3 Likes

I tend to give the alter of decay stuff a a pass because I have a suspicion that part of the dev team wanted to put all the high end crafting in dungeons/raids and I imagine them getting talked down to just doing it with the toxic stuff (no pun intended?).

I think it was intended.

And they actually have to craft it at the Altar of Decay…

2 Likes

So, I just looked carefully at this Cauldron of Extracted Putrescence and found out it only has 3 charges. Thank you Blizzard for the fly in the ointment. So now, we STILL have to go back into that god forsaken dungeon AGAIN and AGAIN AND perhaps spend gold and time and resources on an item only for it to last three time. Blizzard, you suck!

Professions should NOT be connected to dungeons! Maybe once for a quest LIKE WHAT THIS ITEM SHOULD HAVE BEEN and never have to go back in again.

1 Like

hmm… only three charges on the cauldron? Hmm wonder if engineers will get the ability to make better portal work stations that don’t implode after one use. Then again the altar of decay was the big thing people were upset about but only three charges… seems a bit unfair given some people tend to mass build things unless the stuff you need the altar for binds on pickup?

I agree. Terrible idea having this crafting table at the end of a dungeon. I nope out of any orders that need it unless they’re paying BIG gold for something. Otherwise, it’s just not worth the time/effort.

Why they havent fix this yet? are they just dumb or they are just incompetent… how hard is to place the altar outside the dungeon?

3 Likes

They’re on this whole “it was cool back in vanilla when you had to go deep into scholomance in order to make flasks” kick.

holy crap i already repressed that memony jesus

Exactly. Time. So it seems that we are playing longer in the statistics.

My problem with the altar is it just craps on LW and Alch specifically.

If they stuck a BS forge in neltharus, or a JC/Ench table in the azure vault, inscription table at the academy, etc then sure.

Even flying to the other end of the dragon isles and running to the end of a saved lockout (which is the most idiotic and cumbersome work around in a video game probably ever) is a big time sink already.

Instead of letting up on the design philosophy, the double down on it with the shadowflame table lol.

Anyway we absolutely should let them know it’s frustrating a waste of time. I don’t want to spend 10 minutes crafting someone else something when that’s 10 minutes I can spend playing the game. I already put time into the craft and my skill points.

There are also times where I’d like to recraft something for a guildie if I don’t proc, and the location makes this process especially problematic if they aren’t in and posted something as a guild order with enough of a tip to cover recraft a to fish for a tank 5.

At least with Brackenhide out of the M+ rotation, I just went ahead and cleared a M0 instance that I’ll extend the lockout on for the rest of the expansion.

Altar of Decay is still a rotten idea though.

/rimshot

On the brightside, is does mean you can hike up the price and be selective about the people you fulfill crafting orders for. Is it a little scummy? Yes. But it’s also the name of the game when you have to put in a lot more labor than, say, an enchanter.