The Altar of Decay Sucks

was there one in Scholo too, either way…

Spelled there wrong…duh

2 Likes

OP is whining about leatherworking. Which I am familiar with. Big laugh if alchemy requires it though, but also good for alchemists. Anything that gatekeeps, makes it more valuable.

1 Like

Gatekeep is a fun way to type “dreadful gameplay”.

9 Likes

It should have just been in the regular world really. If they wanted some kind of gimmicky thing where you have to go to a specific location just make it an area in the world.

3 Likes

Isn’t this yet another “back to the future” aspect (re)introduced by our new producer? I seem to recall in early WoW having something similar where there were things you needed to craft in an instance.

Edit: I knew I was not totally misremembering. There was an alchemy table in Scholo, and then the infamous black anvil at Blackrock.

Basically the producer (who used to produce Classic) is reintroducing stuff from earlier versions of WoW, like this, group loot, etc.

This is part of what I was fearing for professions. Seeing how incredibly stupid the design for legendary crafting was (mostly due to the overprice and creating things you can neither disenchant or sell).

I gave up legion crafting (and all of Legion for that matter) once I realized that dungeons were required for everything.

I don’t need the hassle and stress of dealing with random pugs in dungeons I don’t know going at breakneck speed so I can’t even start to learn them.

And dealing with random jerk attitudes doesn’t help matters.

And no, watching a video is not something that would help. I don’t learn from videos, it’s part of my ADD issues. And no one is writing guides these days. It’s all video video video. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Thank you, OP, for pointing this out. As having one of every crafter, I’m going to do a LOT of researching before spending any points in those crafts.

1 Like

??!

Wait what? How is this thread is the first time I am hearing about this? Ug.

Well, live and learn. At least I wasn’t going to be a rush to crush to craft any those things anyway given the mat costs.

Crafting is a special sort of content. People who actually care about crafting, IE not people who are using it strictly as an extra source of gear, want it to be valuable. They want to feel like the time spent on perfecting their crafting, go on to get rewarded for that.

Crafting can’t be both welcoming to lowest common denominator players, AND be valuable. It’s really that simple.

Examples of times when crafting was genuinely valuable for people who put in the effort:

Expulsom grinding in BFA: this was an easy way to hit gold cap, because normies couldn’t bring themselves to engage with the tedious grinding mechanic. Obliterum in legion was similar, sort of.

Craftable legendaries that required running group content, in legion. Those remained valuable for the entirety of legion, because they couldn’t easily be made by low effort crafting alts. You had to actually clear dungeons to engage in it.

Rep gated BOEs in shadowlands. Casual players couldn’t grind the rep, and we’re not diligant enough to do the daily rep, so they couldn’t make the gear. That was an easy gold cap for me in shadowlands.

Examples of absolutely terrible states for crafting:

Current work order system, where it was race to the bottom, and everyone can make everything without any real gates. So nothing is worth doing, and it’s largely a mini game you engage in, to get gear.

1 Like

Meaningful choice, as it is portrayed in WoW, is not really a good thing in games that can (and often will) alter the conditions of your choice. These alterations do not always come with a reset.

If you are focusing on things like professions as an endgame, then it’s very possible that it does affect your own player power. That gear that they want to make might be an upgrade for their own use.

it’s even worse for alchemy. I have to do that dungeon so many times each week… or, at least keep a M+ lockout. It’s ridiculous. Who thought of this garbage?

It’s the most annoying dungeon too, with the fear and the CC all over the place. I hate it.

Needing the Altar for a public work order made me understand why people sometimes get super uptight about “speeding” through BTH.

Now, I don’t think it excuses acting like a jerk to your group, but hoo boy, it can get a little stressful when you have an invisible 30-minute timer looming over your shoulder and the tank decides they need to kill every pack in a dungeon that already has copious amounts of trash mobs.

1 Like

I just want one respec, so I might have a slim chance at ever leveling my profession again.

yeah I found out that yesterday when I discovered I why these particular patterns were selling so cheap on the ah - saw two orders just sitting there and tried to make them then I found out I need to do a dungeon. 5k gold isn’t worth it.

2 Likes

Selective retelling of the past. Classic was a success but your ignoring MMOs at the time were niche with hardcore grinders for competition.

1 Like

Can you get it from a normal mode dungeon?

None of the things you mentioned even relates.

1 Like

This isn’t true - there were millions of players even then.

Just popping in to +1 this post. The Altar of Decay stuff is awful.

1 Like

In my opinion, having an altar in a dungeon, while a nice nod to classic gameplay, is not what I consider to be appropriate gameplay for a “tentpole” activity that is supposed to be something not instance-based. This is why, ostensibly, the work order system was set up - so people who do instanced content can trade their BoP crafting reagents to crafters and the crafter doesn’t have to obtain the item themselves.

Instead, it would have been interesting if the crafters who need the Altar of Decay were able to community build one. Maybe the first is in Brackenhide, but the second is in Valdrakken.

I don’t mind the altar being somewhere specific, but it should not be in a dungeon.

5 Likes

Of all the stuff they could bring back why the heck did they think the dark anvil concept was a good mechanic to reuse

4 Likes