The Alliance were nothing more than a plot device this expansion

Title. Nothing about the Alliance is particularly important this expansion outside of Kul’Tiras’s connection to N’Zoth. The Alliance themselves, however, could be swapped out for any other opposition and the plot would still make just as much sense. The war between the Alliance and Horde had nothing to do with opposing political agendas or ideologies. It was a means to emphasize the conflict within the Horde.

This has kind of been known for awhile, but I guess I held onto the idea that maybe, just maybe the Alliance would do something that would actually make them important. The most recent cinematic pretty much confirms that the Alliance were throwaways in order to embolden Saurfang’s journey.

Never mind the subpar writing for a few minutes (Sylvanas would never be emotionally manipulated into speaking out irrationally, and she certainly would never say she trusted Saurfang, because she never did), but how can Blizzard look at that narrative and think they gave equal amounts of love to both factions?

I don’t have much to say beyond this. I guess I’m just really disappointed.

51 Likes

At least i semi feel included…as alliance…like they allowed me in the horde story content experience.

But i mean i get no options like hord does, nor the,cool loyalist story bits…which suck.

I do feel like the prominent alliance figures are boring (jaina) or forgettable amd weak (anduin)

Makes me wonder why shoulsnt i just swap to horde moving forward other tham paying blizzard to remedy their ignoring of a faction in story

7 Likes

It’s rough. I genuinely don’t know why anyone would stick with Alliance at this point unless they just really like the aesthetic (which is a fair reason) or they’re way too established in that faction to commit to another one.

5 Likes

thats what they always are everyone is horde that alliance are a meme.

1 Like

“This expansion” lol

12 Likes

Don’t worry

One of these days the Alliance will be able to do something cool instead of literally kidnapping an Orc to do it for them :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I personally really loved the Alliance bits in Legion, and I would argue that Alliance had way better representation in Legion than Horde did. It felt like a proper Alliance expansion with Illidan and Malfurion taking control for a lot of the main story arcs. Horde didn’t feel that important outside of Highmountain.

9 Likes

Blizz admitted that the Alliance is boring to write for, they find the Horde much more interesting

I like the Alliance experience in Classic. Corrupt nobles in Stormwind, fighting the Defias, there’s an experience there beyond being a plot device for the Horde. Maybe if the Alliance had some morally grey characters they’d be easier to write for. Anduin is too much of a goody goody kind of guy to fill that role, but so long as he’s our king the Alliance will forever be the good guys fighting for peace

I like Anduin, but he shouldn’t be the only face of the Alliance

28 Likes

Kinda where I am at, I love Night elves too much to cross over the line… but yeah I am used to being used as a plot device…

Curious though, the Legion expac was reviled because people felt the horde was just along for the ride in an alliance story.

1 Like

Blizzard is in control of the narrative. If they think the Alliance is boring, they are completely and totally capable of changing it so that it isn’t.

Sounds to me like Blizzard is getting lazy more than anything.

22 Likes

The only Alliance bits in Legion were the bits with Genn Greymane hunting Sylvanas.

Illidan, Malfurion, Velen and Tyrande acted in neutral storylines that involved both factions and were available for the Horde. How is that an Alliance bit when the Horde can do it?

Alliance characters are only allowed to shine when they go neutral lol

16 Likes

Yeah, well…at least our King has fantastic hair.

9 Likes

Don’t worry, Tyrande will soon go crazy and have to kill her.

To compensate for the loss of Horde heroes and that Blizz can say that we were morally Gray and they can continue urinating on the ashes of the night Elves.

9 Likes

This is another reason why the faction division kinda sucks. Saurfangs heroes journey was really cool. But he’s not the alliance’s guy. They don’t have the same connection to his story as horde players. Even if you play both sides, your time on your alliance toon will feel incidental to the story.

If we did away with the faction division the way it is now, we can all enjoy the same story and not feel like our part in it is worthless.

Save teams for pvp. Let us all be a part of the story.

4 Likes

It doesn’t help that pretty much every dev plays Horde. That’s not a problem in and of itself, but making Alliance content probably feels like a chore to them

It’s a shame, honestly if my family and friends weren’t Alliance I’d main Horde in a heartbeat. They’re made to be more interesting at the moment

7 Likes

Change “this expansion” to “all of Warcraft”

Warcraft has always been the story of the Orcs and the Horde.

8 Likes

You mean like Tyrande, who has the perfect opportunity to go rogue and attack the horde on her own, but she totally won’t because “she got her revenge already guys”?

11 Likes

I know a lot of Horde players complain that they lose more heroes than the Alliance, but the Alliance doesn’t have many good characters to lose. Right now the only major characters we could lose would be Anduin and Jaina, and we all know neither of them are going to kick the bucket anytime soon, otherwise Blizz would have to give other Alliance characters screentime

3 Likes

FTFY
Prove me wrong.
Skäl.
:beer:

1 Like

World of Warcraft: Battle for Horderoth

8 Likes