Terrible New Player Experience

It’s not like we already have many races to choose from. The new ones are locked cosmetics. If you quit a game because you have to unlock a “special cosmetic” race, then you really didn’t want to play the game very badly.

You know, there are many classes in the game, too. So … you could play a class for the one getting the rep, then make you “special” character a different class, maybe the one that you wanted specifically with that race.

What’s wrong with having 2 characters? They wouldn’t even have to be the same class. I have many characters and none of them are throwaways.

I feel this. I took a LONG break from the game, and I really wanted to play the Zandalari Druid… along with leveling ACTUAL alts… Still haven’t unlocked Zandalari yet, but I’m close to having the rep needed for Vulpura when they’re released. It really does suck when you come back from a break, or even new players have to grind the rep out… Makes you feel so behind. Idk I want to level alts so atm I’m just probably going to do that and wait for the WQ Rep bonus on the 5th of next month maybe?

I don’t have a problem with them making you earn the allied races.

I probably hate rep grinding as much as the next guy. I f-ing hate it. Yet, this one doesn’t rub me wrong like gating an essence behind rep.

1 Like

The issue with saying that Allied Races are a reward for players who have been active is the relatively low starting point of level 20. Most established players are going to have alts of various classes well above this level and while hitting up to max “can” go quickly, it’s an aggravation to go through so much all over, quite likely on a class/spec you’ve already leveled.

IMO Blizzard needs to decide who Allied Races are targeted at and revise requirements accordingly - the current implementation is a potential large frustration/time sink regardless of whether you’re new, returning, or currently active.

You know all that time you’ve been spending in game?

That means that this is working as Blizzard intended.

But now im not in-game because I’m barred by world quests until I can finally play a NB warlock.

The issue is blizzard won’t let me grind.

if the rumors of a level squish end up being true then a starting level of 20 would make it truly designed for veteran players. but it does depend on how they do the level squishing and if they keep the allied race starting levels at 20.

How can you be invested in a character you plan on canning once you actually finally unlock your character you’ll actually care about?

The real issue is a lot of people get super attached to their characters and want to do EVERYTHING on that character. I’d gladly grind out mounts, pets, rep, whatever else on a character I actually enjoy, having to do that on a character I don’t care about feels stupid.

Why would I want to do everything once on a character I don’t want to main, ruining the exploration and enjoyment of the actual character I want to play when forced to do it a second time? It’s just not logical.

…Which is why I made a level 110 DH and mostly ignored all of the quests up to the point of being able to spam WQs for Vuldunai rep. Once vulpera are released hopefully I can enjoy the adventure.

1 Like

Even with a hypothetical level squish, it’s weird. If you’re truly looking to “reward” players for completing content at a specific point, Allied Races should start at the entry point for the content they’re unlocked, Zandalari at level 110 for example. It’s really weird to have, say Void Elves, leveling through BC content when they weren’t around until Legion.

2 Likes

This is something blizz STILL hasn’t fully grasped, aesthetics matter to players a LOT. If someone really likes the look of a specific race then that is what they want to play and no other race will do, they won’t be happy with it and they’ll end up frustrated and likely quit.

Is locking races like this worth losing players? You may say not many will actually walk away but blizz doesn’t pull in new players much and any they lose matters. They even have issues with old player retention and had to release a 15 year old version of the game out of desperation to bring those old players back.

Not having a decent influx of new players makes the model unsustainable. The fact that both ESO and FFXIV were equaling WoWs subs because WoW had lost just THAT many players is proof of that. WoW NEEDS new players, anything that discourages new players from coming in is a bad thing.

1 Like

Why should you get the free ride of a character I had to spend time to unlock?

That’s the more important discussion. Please explain why you should get something for free that I already worked to get?

You literally can see YouTube buddies from wowhead with casting animations for new races before release. They even did with with worgen and goblin

Cus it’s their game. They decide not you.

1 Like

I never watched them lol. I changed that stance with this expansion to see which ones I really had to have right away :slight_smile:

Another person complaining about grinds in an MMO. At least post something original

Weird because literally every other gaming company doesn’t do this.
Infact, “playing the game how you want” is a selling point for most games.

1 Like

So what. Go play those games.

1 Like

I mean its their business they make the game. Why would it be anyone elses?

1 Like

I wish I was allowed to grind.
Time locking content behind daily WQ is not grinding.