Teldrassil is inescapable

When I set up my Twitter account, engaging with Warcraft was the last thing on my mind. I after all quit at the end of Warlords of Draenor. I wasn’t thrilled about giving Dave Kosak an entire expansion of Night Elf lore, my friends didn’t see the point in it, and the PVP changes didn’t look fun to me. My (now mostly dormant) Twitter account wasn’t even personal - it was explicitly professional. I worked in a small public accounting firm at the time, and the Journal of Accountancy proposed that the best way to really move up in my career was to try and get clients for the firm. I followed people in finance and tech, I retweeted stuff about the local economy, I linked back to my LinkedIn account - etc.

So, you might be surprised to know that I learned about Battle for Azeroth through Twitter, because despite being well and truly out of the franchise, Blizzard’s marketing department deigned it appropriate to, one Friday afternoon, rush into my office (via Twitter at least) cackling with glee about their latest story development. Obviously the friends that I kept in touch with heard about it too. One at least cried over the news.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/sylv-burning-down-the-tree/988563/4

I bring this up and am raising this thread over something that was posted in my discord this morning. We have a number of people, including people who used to post here, who left the franchise for one reason or another. The person in question, like me, can’t bring herself to play her characters in the current environment, but still plays Hearthstone. Today she posted a screenshot of the game in the channel with the comment of “Yeah, well, screw you too, Hearthstone team -_-”.

http^s://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/620017801557442590/850393286019121152/unknown.png

I don’t play Hearthstone myself, but I understand that “Forged in the Barrens” is the latest expansion to it. My understanding of the expansion is that it’s a celebration of the Horde that, again, takes place in the Barrens. Saurfang’s VA acted the marketing piece for it, which suggests to me that it should have taken place before this and largely not involved Night Elves, and certainly not Teldrassil. Regardless, the team seems to have taken the opportunity to once again antagonize Night Elf fans about their decision to destroy it.

This of course is just one example of Blizzard reaching out into the wider world and trying to remind everyone, subscribed to Warcraft or not, about how they constructively destroyed (and please do recall the definition of that) a playable race. Examples include:

• A playable race getting a joke line explicitly about the event.
  • A community dev reacting to a question about what the Night Elves have at this point with “A Nice Pile of Ashes”
  • Developers including Christie Golden and Steven Danuser posting to their Twitter about Teldrassil well after the event.
  • In the same vein, a Blizzard-hosted “Autumn Party” that appeared to have been centered around a Burning of Teldrassil centerpiece that was part of the decorations.
  • A children’s book with a pop-out feature that was intended to transform Teldrassil from being the way it was to being on fire.

In WoW itself, they also went out of their way to establish that those killed in the burning went to the Maw - that was in the marketing materials. Which, okay, fine, it happened after the events of Legion - but that means everyone went to the Maw, not just the Night Elves, and yet here again we have continuous focus on the event. Is it of the sneering, jerkish nature that I described with the other examples? No, but it’s a further demonstration of the full court press that Blizzard has persisted with concerning this event.

Finally, I haven’t just been linking these posts to illustrate that there are mean people on the internet (Not all of these are even mean). Each of these came from posts that were either posted or updated in the last two days on General Discussion - which consists of a large population that isn’t anywhere near as plugged in to the lore as this one. It’s also pretty indicative of how communities tend to act if they’re aware of WoW in other places such as Reddit, Discord, etc. I call it the “voice of the people”, and that voice tells me that it is still very much present, and it’s an item that Horde players in particular like to throw in our faces quite a bit, even to this day - an item we have no recourse for because Blizzard has decided that Night Elves aren’t allowed to meaningfully hit back.

“Game Experience May Change During Online Play” and all that. Given that this is partly a social game experienced with other players, that absolutely matters.

So, this leads me to the question that I want to ask in this thread. There is a community here that just doesn’t want to hear it when it comes to Night Elf issues. They accuse us of somehow having everything, of invading every topic, of wanting the world, and of taking things too seriously. Most of these are exercises in bad-faith hyperbole of course, and generally those people aren’t worth talking to because they are advancing tribally-driven opinions that have more to do with helping “their side” than they do with improving the overall health of the game and its playerbase.

However, there’s an undercurrent, an implication, spoken or unspoken that Night Elf fans in general should just forget about Teldrassil. Given what I just laid out, and the trends we have in the story then, I’m curious. How do you propose that we do that?

32 Likes

First thing’s first:

There you go.

Second: I see that I was brought up here. Just out of curiosity, what do you read in the context of my reply? Seeing myself up there with the likes of Brillus isn’t exactly ideal for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

You are really surprised undead players are laughing at ur treehouse and friends burning alive😂

Alliance thinks undead are evil and should be purged but we can’t do the same to u

13 Likes

First off, thank you!

Second, I thought that your post was a good one to include on the way to my conclusion because while it demonstrates that Teldrassil remains a significant part of the conversation, it shows another side to that conversation: how it has and continues to negatively impact people outside of just this playerbase.

I wasn’t trying to imply that you were being mean or unreasonable. I actually felt that to be the perfect place for it.

Surprised? No. “Game Experience May Change During Online Play” after all. I don’t expect humans to behave as anything other than humans. However, Blizzard (especially if the rumors are true about the psychologists that they have on staff) should have been aware of and should have anticipated that.

Therefore they bear responsibility for the toxicity around this event.

4 Likes

Perfect! Thank you, I was just making sure, haha. Teldrassil is a very sensitive topic for me, as a Night Elf fan (though Tauren main always).

Honestly, I love the points you made because I’m not fond of how often Blizzard makes those jabs. Night Elves always get the brunt of it, have for a long time, and it’s quite sad to see such a good race reduced to…whatever they are now. Really, even in Vanilla they were just the pretty elves of the Alliance. There’s nothing from before in Warcraft III where they were ferocious, cold, and powerful.

If you aren’t fond of Teldrassil, I would sincerely recommend not looking up anything that has happened to Tyrande since. She got one good moment:

And since then is back to being a punching bag for Blizzard/the story. 9.1 continues this awful trend of treating Night Elves like pawns to be sacrificed at every moment.

I despise it, and honestly if Sylvanas wins after everything she’s done? It might be what pushes me out, because I can’t honestly stand around to see that abuse anymore.

17 Likes

/offtop

I did not read the thread so far, but I like the title.
:clap:
It’s one of those things that accidentally happen and are more true than what sometimes could’ve been intended.

The devs tried to make this whole “nothing escapes the Maw” story bit. But what you said in the name of the title truly does fulfill the spirit of this idea:

Teldrassil, is the “inascapable Maw” where the devs dragged themselves into (alongside a portion of the community).

And oh my, that is one heck of a torture “machine”. The one, I have a feeling, people involved, might not forget. Ever.

gl hf

17 Likes

Eh, would you really count that as a good moment? What if, like Ion has hinted, Nathanos just reappears in the maw (as he has planned) and gets redeemed along with Sylvanas.
He basically begged her to kill him just so that he can meet with Sylvanas, and he also mocked her about the Night Elf souls that were trapped in the maw and later obliterated.

About her being able to defeat Nathanos at 10% hp… come on now. We didn’t need the Night Warrior for that. And that’s the only positive thing I see about the cinematic, that Tyrande was able to defeat a heavily wounded Nathanos.

1 Like

You should ask Anduin that.

6 Likes

Relevant part here. Games are supposed to be fun. This crap is not.

30 Likes

Oh if this happens I will be incredibly upset… I already expect his sorry cockroach backside to come crawling back (how can he not? He’s the lead writer’s self insert, basically…)

I personally am rather fond of that scene, though it DOES illustrate the issue of us as Player Characters not actually mattering (10% HP on our end, but the cutscene makes it seem like Nathanos is having an easy go of it). This is a much grander issue than the scope of this thread and the Night Elves in general.

3 Likes

I think he’d answer something along the lines of sending soldiers on suicide missions for nothing, not aiding allies that are facing extinction and then holding a heroic motivating speech for the enemy faction in their capital city :thinking:

Basically the BfA Alliance experience.

Oh and obviously being Sadfang’s little puppy

12 Likes

I actually did like that scene. It’s not as though it’s all bad, it’s just that good is overwhelmingly outweighed by the bad.

1 Like

Yeah, like this is probably the last time Tyrande is actually shown as being pretty interesting. But the whole Night Warrior thing is so…so bad. It could have been a cool concept, but it’s just done so badly.

Starting with Nathanos beating her and Malfurion in what was essentially a 2v1 (or 3v1 if you play Alliance), hah…

14 Likes

Technically he didn’t - but the game doesn’t go a great job in portraying that.

(Which, to clarify is one of my white whales: the presentation, another element that Blizzard is certainly responsible for, is frequently hostile to Night Elves, to the point that victories are portrayed as defeats and defeats are magnified to the greatest possible degree)

8 Likes

Semantics, but ultimately it FEELS like he did, as you said.

Honestly, the way I personally would have written the scene was actually have Malfurion and Tyrande bring Nathanos down but have one of the Valkyr sacrifice herself to bring him back. Same general result, but the feel is different as it gives the Night Elves a sense of having accomplished something.

12 Likes

Have you tried turning off the computer.

Everything about this paragraph is funny.

9 Likes

There is a lot here to unpack. And I really don’t have the time. For me, I stopped being a fan of all things Warcraft a long time ago. So the burning of Teldrassil didn’t bother me. Why? Because it was empty, meaningless writing. What talent Blizz had retired/fired years ago.

What bothers me is that people are still raging over this. It’s done. Get over it. It isn’t like the hacks they have working at Blizz are capable of descent writing. It’s the same way I had to deal with what was done to some of my favourite franchises. Rip the band-aid off and move on. If that means leaving the game, then leave. You’re not going to get a “fist-pump” moment and it certainly isn’t going to be retconned.

3 Likes

A game about war isn’t fun when your side dies in war ?

What?

Because Night Elves are a playable race and shouldn’t have been deleted from the game along with their zones & home for no reason other than Blizzard suddenly deciding that they don’t want them in their game or story anymore.

1 Like

Ya that was for all the horde you filthy alliance killed over the years get wrecked

6 Likes