Taunka Allied Race Megathread

Worgen weren’t an allied race. I specified allied races.

Allied races are done on the cheap.

Except for Void Elves, because of, well, you know why.

1 Like

AR’s and Core races go through extremely similar processes…

Any race thats going to be playable for whatever reason will go through those changes.

1 Like

I’d be 100% happy to get Taunka to show up as a playable race outside of RP.

But unfortunately I’m not holding my breathe for it anymore. :frowning:

2 Likes

Buffalo meat is super-lean. I’m okay with this change as long as we can skin and eat them. The same goes for Worgen.

Couchy

I wonder about people who want to eat sentient races sometimes…

2 Likes

They’re buffalo, not people.

Couchy

I understand the thought with that, but to me Allied Races are the opportunity to include races that are similar in appearance maybe but yet have unique histories, characters, culture and lore in general.

Taunka are more than a reskin or even swapping horns. It would be tough to implement into customization.

And I address the female issue in the starting post. They would ideally make them match the males. And we have to realize the last time they were really heavily present in the story was over a decade ago. Females were rarely seen in npc races and really- not much variety in what they did add.

If they were made playable they obviously would be brought up to par with current graphics and races.

4 Likes

Guess some humans are less sentient than I thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m a paladin. What do you expect?

Couchy

Sentience.

1 Like

That was a sentence.

Couchy

So after a bit of discussion on some of my lore discords, I think that as for classes- Mage could work nicely with the Taunka. That would make them stand out compared to the other hooved races of the Horde and add some more racial oriented class lore for them, as I imagine frost mages for instance could be very useful, or fire mages to keep warm.

Similarly, Highmountain could work with perhaps Warlocks.

2 Likes

Highmountain should have been tanka instead.

Feels like they could just be a male Tauren option for a face as that is the only real big difference.

Fully support an Azeroth Race being playable that is already part of the Horde. Plus, I adore Northrend, and naturally would love to see the races from that area playable. Cool to see another thread up for things like this. While people generally complain about ‘allied race people’, I think our suggestions at least bring a bit of creativity/positivity in a sea of the otherwise negative. I wish to see more playable options in the game from Azeroth/Outland/Draenor, and I know Taunka have been mentioned quite a bit.

5 Likes

I can see that.

Yes!

2 Likes

As they were created roughly twelve years ago, they are going to be lacking in variety and customization. The male isn’t even an actual model, it is a mask on top of the male face.

If added as a playable race they would have to update them up to par with current races, which would very likely include a female version that matches the male. It was just how things were done in the early days that we did not see a female version and little variety in the male mask.

But as for customization, I suppose it comes down to personal tastes, but I highly disagree with any race for that matter becoming customization.

They miss out on so much lore, story and character development that comes alongside being a playable race. For example, the Wildhammer and High Elves were added as customization and they are stuck with the Bronzebeard and Ren’dorei heritage armors. They miss out on that history, that potential story and spotlight.

Based on the history of World of Warcraft, NPC races won’t get much if any spotlight past their introduction unless made playable.

In my honest opinion as long as a race has unique history, culture, characters and overall story they are fine to be an Allied Race(I think Quel’dorei and Wildhammer should have been). I like what we have gotten so far and do not wish they were customization, and that goes for future ones as well.

As for specifically Taunka, they are not simply Tauren as I explain in my original post. Along with their more bison-like appearance their culture and personality are honestly a stark difference compared to Baine’s Tauren.

Taunka I would say are more proactive and aggressive in a sense, they take charge. They take what they need when they need it in order to survive. They command and bend the elements to their will, they don’t negotiate with them and they don’t befriend them.

That, at least to me, makes them quite different to both the Highmountain and the Mulgore Tauren. I would even go on to say if added right now, they would be one of the more unique Allied Races in the lineup.

5 Likes

In the grand scheme of things, I would prefer races like Taunka to be their own race slot on the character creation screen. Seeing how the Wildhammer were treated, being attached to Bronzebeard Dwarves with little identity with what makes a Wildhammer a Wildhammer, doesn’t give me a lot of confidence that other customization races would be treated as their own race. Not to mention that we still have no explanation to why we suddenly have Sand Trolls in the Horde.

A long time ago, I typed up a post where I addressed concerns with customization races and having their own identity, along with trying to determine what would be reasonable expectations for customization races. A lot of it still stands, and for those interested, here is the post:

At the moment, the only other thing I’d add to that is having unique Hunter starting pets.

Really, I want races to be able to have their own identity and such when becoming playable. It’s why I feel that the Wildhammer customizations were less than ideal and that they deserve better. It’s the same way I feel for other races that could become playable that are variants of existing races. I wouldn’t want races like San’layn, Kelfin, Taunka, and such to just be customization options and then not have any presence at all. It just makes it feel like a parent race is cosplaying and LARPing as those races.

Besides, we got a bunch of room on that new character creation screen that several races would love to get on there and become something more than be forgotten or just mooks. I’d personally love to see it filled with races people want to see, and the more options, the better IMO. :ox:

5 Likes

No for me. Agree with the guy who said we have 2 Tauren races and neither are that popular. Only way I’d say yes is if it prevented yet another elf race from being put in game.

But also agree with those who are done with the allied race thing. Just give us new races if that’s the route they choose to go.

1 Like

I entirely agree with you with your points! Doing Wildhammer and Sand Trolls like that is such a disservice to their fans and story.

Maybe one day they’ll add special heritage armor for stuff like the Wildhammer customization, it is really the most we can ask for in regards to the customization already added. I was really hoping for at least a random mention of smaller troll tribes joining the Horde for the Sand Troll thing.

5 Likes