Talanji is a hypocrite

She’s not a hypocrite, she’s just a way for Blizzard to make things more morally grey, in their mind. She’s basically just a troll Jaina, but without the character history or the big defining moments.

“Look at this nice troll princess who just wants to help her people. The Alliance imprisoned her, how mean they are. Look, Jaina’s chasing us, what a menace!”

“See how great she is? And she wants to join with the Horde! That means that the Horde can’t be all bad, right? All the Loa really like her, she’s going to be a great queen.”

“The talented and brave troll princess just saw her father die because of the Alliance attacking! This obviously means that the Alliance and the Horde are morally on the same level, look at how angry and sad she is.”

The character herself has no real hypocrisy to her, the writing for her just purposefully ignores certain factors in order to have her be the face of the wronged victims, regardless of the circumstances surrounding that. The writing itself totally ignores the greater war when it comes to her, and there’s never any real question regarding how the war came about or what the end goal is, because her character is supposed to be the moral counterweight, to make it seem as though the Alliance is, meta wise, just as bad as the Horde.

4 Likes

Actually Lorewaker tells us he gave him some ships to get rid of him since he was annoying him with his constant doomsaying. He never told him to unite the trolls and start a war of conquest with the Horde and Alliance or to go to Pandaria that was all done under his own initiative.

1 Like

Something tells me the horde was talking to the Zandalari before Talanji was captured. Saurfang knows about the plan to rescue the from his prison cell, while the rescue party seems to think they are there for him.
So I take it Saurfang had at least one diplomatic talk with Zandalar before the war of thorns.

2 Likes

Lets be honest there was no reason to kill him or even invade the island. The Alliance destroyed the navy and they live on an Island so the threat is effectively neutralized at that point.

All they did was waste lives and piss off the Zandalari and all trolls to the extreme by killing Rastakhan.

That’s my entire point. Her whole purpose is to act as a moral foil, that’s why she acts and is written as if in a bubble when it comes to the faction conflict, with little to no mention of other events in the war. It’s why she’s not a hypocrite, she can’t be one if she’s written in a way that completely divorces her from the rest of the story.

Is anyone else getting a case of Déjà vu?

Oh Defiantly agree with this Sentiment, However the writing has been so terrible that she is blaming a group attacking her people when she was the Instigator of that conflict. She sought out the Horde to Ally with them, She brought Zandalar into the Conflict and she actively chose to work alongside Zul until he inevitably betrayed them.

She is supposed to represented Horde side as a good queen, however when we analyze her actions she has failed almost at every point. She failed to realize Zul was the perpetrator of the Zandalar’s issues, She failed to realize that allying with the Horde would bring the war to her home and she failed to stop zul’s invasion and the Alliance’s. She then proceeds to blame everyone else Never reflects that she might share some of this responsibility.

I love how somehow she gets all this credit for being such a good leader when she literally does nothing and would have died if the Horde was not constantly saving her rear end. Shes our version of Anduin and I hate her.

What they should have done is kill her off instead so we get an enraged Rastakhan that wanted revenge. Rastakhan is by far the better character and its such a waste to kill him off in the first act of the first expansion hes in.

2 Likes

Oh I agree with this if we took out their Navy they aren’t a threat. The Alliances forces would have been better suited by going and helping the Night elves.

1 Like

Well, not all trolls.

An awful lot of Zandalari seemed on board with the whole “get rid of Rastakhan and replace him with Zul” plan. Enough that Rastakhan himself observes at the Blood Gate that the number of defections had practically crippled Zandalar’s legions, and even now a whole bunch of them are probably still unhappy about the idea of Rastakhan and his heir making Bwonsamdi the top loa.

And frankly it’s hard to say just how attached the other tribes are to the legitimate Zandalari leadership, considering they were serving Zul for a good while between Cataclysm and MoP, and before that the Gurubashi and Drakkari in particular had basically been at war with the king’s official delegations in their lands.

It may have seemed like a move of reconciliation to them when Zul came, but there’s no telling where they stand now after finding out he was actually at odds with the king.

2 Likes

The true crime is that Blizzard killed Rastakahn to bring Talanji to the Forefront when she is a terribly written character. She is a character in a Bubble as others have pointed out and her attitudes don’t reflect her actions very well.

Rastakan on reflection was at least a character with some history in the universe. His actions made sense for the sake of the trolls in supporting Zul but now keeping him on a short leash. I think the Horde would have been better off if Rastakahn had survived and been developed for overcoming his past mistakes and becoming a better leader.

5 Likes

Its a generalization. Rastakhan was a legendary figure to all Trolls even if some disagreed with his latest inclusion of the Horde hes still going to command a certain amount of respect

We see a large representation of all the Troll tribes at the funeral so that show how the other tribes saw him. I would love for Blizz to add the Troll Tribes as an Allied race kinda like how the Maghar have different clans rolled into one race.

1 Like

the attack on the navy made a lot of sense. but the need to have a suicide squad or a land assault wasn’t.
Blizzard did this for 3 reasons:
1)give the zandalari a reason to hate the alliance and join the horde.
2)have a new raid tier as filler.
3)clean rasthakan from his mistakes leading the zandalari who attacked both the horde and the alliance and past the leadership to someone basically pristine in terms of blame.
the price was, of course the death of rasthaboi.

1 Like

Yeah I never got why the Alliance had an entire army sacrifice itself if the plan was to simply get the king to surrender. Seems like such a stupid plan I’m not sure why anyone would agree to it.

“Hey soldiers go sacrifice your lives so we can invade this kingdom and get them to surrender although we have no reason to believe they will, oh and If they don’t surrender you have thrown your lives away for nothing as we will simply walk away afterwards.”

Its stupid writing like this that is taking any sense of agency and consistency out of the story as its hard to understand any of the characters motivations anymore.

3 Likes

i would like to think that the alliance leadership simply miscalculated how prideful they would be or trusted too much in their ability to capture rasthakan alive, because to be fair, the alliance didn’t exactly killed him by putting a sword in his chest, but he just simply abused of his powers, powers that the alliance didn’t know he had.

So, with rasthakan captured they would force the zandalari to surrender.
but as we have seen, that didn’t work so the alliance had to flee.
that still doesn’t change the fact that a land assault was completely unnecesary and stupid,these writters simply suck.

1 Like

It is terrible writing to think that the Alliance wouldn’t have a contingency in mind if they failed to capture him though. I mean they just literally threw hundreds of lives away for nothing.

and still no one has called Anduin out all of the stuff he screwed up.

2 Likes

I agree.
They should have burned Dazaralor while they were at it too.

1 Like

That still doesn’t matter. Talanji could press till she turned blue, if Rastakhan wasn’t playing ball then it what was she supposed to do? Betray her father’s decree? Why? She was already pushing it by going on an unsanctioned diplomatic mission.

1 Like

This just makes me realize how even more nonsensical the piddly Zandalari attack on Kul’tiras was than I originally thought. If Rastakhan wanted to retain autonomy and was still resistant on joining the horde, it makes no sense for him to commit any forces to that attack. And because Talanji was just a princess at the time, she wouldn’t have the authority to order his military around.

Seems like the whole thing was written just for the benefit of trying to keep alliance NPCs’ hands clean when it came time to kill off Rastakhan.

8 Likes

You can’t kill or “fire” an useful guy just because he is mean to others races. Genn attacked Sylvanas and the forsaken during an invasion of the Legion and disobeying the orders of Anduin of engaging only if necessary.

Zul did the same, he predicted the cataclysm and they should search for new lands, Rastakhan told him a big NO twice but when the Cataclysm started, a lot of trolls decided to follow him in fear because they really though the island was going to sunk and even kings can’t make desesperate people to obey his will.

Funny how certain individuals trash talk of x character(Rastakhan) while only gaves praises to another one that has basically the same flaws and even story arc(Anduin).

3 Likes