Switched to Mac, gaming mouse not working

So I switched from pc to Mac and the gaming mouse I was using is registering as another keyboard. It has 12 side buttons that are 0-9 and -,+,=
These buttons work for my key binds but when I try to do shift+any of the buttons it doesnt register it as, for example, shift+1 but only as if I am only pressing 1. Does anyone know a fix for this?

1 Like

macOS won’t see the extra buttons natively, so you’ll need an application like SteerMouse (which is not free) to get them working.

SteerMouse can either assign buttons to a keystroke (e.g. mouse 4 and 5 to CMD + [ and CMD + ] for forward and backwards) or just leave them as unassigned and WoW should let you bind something.

You can also use per-application button mappings, so in WoW you could leave the extra buttons alone to map directly to action bar buttons, but then in general desktop usage you can map buttons to macOS functionality.

1 Like

If the mouse is a Razer Naga Epic/Chroma with the buttons on the side. I have seen this issue just about every time I update OS X or get a new Mac. The solution I have used repeatedly is to open up terminal and type in the following:

defaults write com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft disable-expose-fix -bool YES

This fix has been around for a number of years, but always seems to get overlooked… Good luck

76 Likes

You sir, are a life saver.

1 Like

Karabiner Elements (free and open source) also works great. https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org. I will have to try out the terminal fix to see how that works.

2 Likes

Worked like a charm, thank you!

This worked beautifully!! How did you run into this solution?

This needs to be pinned

1 Like

So I did use this, but it seems to hold the “shift” or “alt” key down for a period of time before being able to simply hit 1 instead of Shift+1. Almost like a toggle. Also seems to disable some other hotkeys.

thank you, brilliant!

Thank you!!!

BY THE LIGHT!

Thank you. Solution works on M1 Macs!

Thank you SO SO SO much dude!!!

Just got the new M1 Pro and was freaking out when the modifier keys weren’t working… Thank you so much mate!

Still working in 2021 with macOS Monterey :smiley:

This answer needs to be pinned. Thank you!!!

Fantastic. Thank you good sir/madaam.

Still working in 2022 on a m1 mac running Monterey. I was using a steel series aerox 9 wireless. Thank you!

Confirming this does work. Tried on up-to-date 2022 MacBook Pro M1 Max.

Thank you!

Godsend of a simple fix that could be found nowhere else but this thread. 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max on Monterey, here.

Thank you!!