Swearing, social contract and swear filter

The game has a built in swear filter.

But now we can get in trouble for swearing with the new social contract???

Why not just make is to the swear filter can not be turned off?

If you can solve an “issue” with code, why not do it. It would be far more efficient and players then can not get ban for sweating.

2 Likes

Think about the context in which you used the swear word and read the social contract.

You’ll have your answer.

5 Likes

you can swear. You just cant swear AT people.

pretty much as long as you avoid putting a “you” before a swearword as a rule of thumb youll be okay.

Claiming something is stupid with expletives’ wont get you banned.

Swearing is reported on in context.
People are usually good at self policing and are fine with swear words or not in their guild/raid chats. Guilds should self police if swear words are fine and its good to be able to disable the filter because most people are adults.
Swearing in public chats or with people you don’t know will likely lead to reports.

If you direct your swear words towards a player, or an insult a player, expect repercussions. The filter isn’t there to make it okay. It’s for people who don’t want to see it ever, even in private conversations.

2 Likes

PEBKAC error

I called the folks on “noob hill” {Removed} for not being in east/west when a single rogue back capped them both in AV.

I suppose since i was singling them out as a group it broke the social contract?

The filter is simply a failsafe for those that absolutely do not want to see it. Has zero impact on their TOS

5 Likes

you got what you deserved, stop being toxic

4 Likes

Sounds like you got exactly what you deserved. I agree that people sitting on afk hill are a big part of the problem in AV but calling them that instead of just reporting them for afk doesn’t help your case

3 Likes

lol you just don’t like being called out for being painfully wrong on every take you have

I got a 24 hour ban for saying the F word directed to no one at all, which I partially censored on these forums so who knows lmao.

you could always get in trouble for that.

3 Likes

Please daddy blizz, don’t put me in timeout for using “dirty words”

This company went from putting naked chicks on the wall to “body type 1 and 2” real fast :joy:.

But at the end of the day, it’s their business and their choice.

the forums are way different lol Weirdly enough. Youd think it would be the same between the two right?

That’s a myth.
It cannot be “solved” with code.

There are best efforts to mitigate it.
But there are always going to be gaps:

• it will either be overly aggressive. E.g. block talk about bass guitars
  • or completely ineffective against a myriad of techniques to fool the system. It would even certainly be tripped up by typos where the intended “swear word” is obvious to a human reader.
4 Likes

Act like an adult maybe? People can easily mask their profanity to bypass the swear filter. Easy enough for you to not swear.

4 Likes

Profanity is the language of the ignorant.

2 Likes

{Quote Removed}

hey, i think i reported that. but i report hundreds a day, so who can remember them all.

Blizzard is destroying their game. Who gets hurt when they ban people for language? Blizzard does. Those people will just spend their money on other games. Wow is at the end of its lifecycle and they want to punish paying customers when there is a filter? There is not logic to this. They are chasing their customers away

This.
So much this.