Survival, I guess they are done with us?

That’s ST only. If you’re going to AOE it will be furry of the eagle and bombs spam. Right now in beta it’s really interesting. And I can see few play styles and with extra 3 yards if you decide to take them you have better advantage as other melee and some advantages of ranged specs

I don’t have access to beta but on PTR we get lit up if we go toe-to-toe with nearly all other melee as hunters lack the defenses to combat this way.

While core melee such as wars/rogues/dh/dk/ret all have more tools to survive in melee range.

With the current ptr build it would be horrible for the spec if hunters were expected to stay in melee range in a 3v3 setting against core melee classes.

1 Like

Yea only way to fight melee as SV hunter would be using extra 3 yards. But not much has changed when it comes to pure defense.

You can be out of range pretty much against every melee 80% of time

2 Likes

With the current talents, its is a interesting way to play pvp. Even on live, you are not going toe to toe with a melee class. On the PTR I have used a hit and run tactic, along with traps, and it has worked. But again, I am a veteran SV player. I been playing it in all its forms since it’s iteration.

1 Like

You should still going into melee. The “skill cap” is figuring out when to kite and when to fight.

5 Likes

:100: agree

But as far as kiting goes, on ptr you only have bombs + mongoose bite. And possibly death chakrams and explosive shot which both have long cds.

@Shadowaxe
Please share your PTR build I can always use advice. Thank you!

Funny people seem to forget about this when its convenient. But wait till they link something from WoD.

Dontcha know? The spec is bad because this guy doesnt like it.

Literally never see anyone hate on it in game, its only here and its the same cry babys repeating the same thing over and over who arent even good at the game themselves.

5 Likes

Let’s wait until DF is released and SV looses it tier set and legendary. How many will continue to play when it’s no longer top dps?

2 Likes

Right now in beta it can’t be properly tested because Kill Command has not 100% reset chance while pheromone bomb is active. Furry of the eagle reduces CD of wildfire bombs by 2 sec when it crits. Maybe 1.5 second not sure. So in M+ SV hunter will still have amazing AOE. You spend your bombs, furry of the eagle, fish pheromone bomb, keep resetting CD of KK get back furry of the eagle again and rinse and repeat. You have butchery to reduce the CD of bombs if you don’t have pheromone bomb and boom.

As for single target damage mongoose bite is a go to. And as 260 SV hunter I get regular 20-30K crits with mongoose. Use Death chakram to debuff the target and voila. For me in DF survival has very interesting and fun gameplay . But here is one thing. Every class or spec is only popular when it’s performing great. That’s is the staple of WoW gameplay and won’t change.

1 Like

Your loosing Wildfire Cluster along with Mad Bombardier. Survival is having it’s strongest potential damaging ability cut. Without these two procs SV is back to being in the middle, and with two range specs to compete with you are looking at it being forgotten again.

Survival hunter only got any attention cause of its high AoE damage, so it will need more in DF to keep it in the light.

1 Like

Or maybe you’re just making a bad argument?

Here’s my take: you didn’t know that’s how talents worked back then so you went to a WoD private sever because you thought it was a gotcha. You assumed Hunters were the only class that shared talents between specs.

That’s not just forums; it’s the participation rate in in-game content.

Performance is not the only variable affecting representation. When BM was on par/a bit worse than SV in Season 2 it still saw a lot more representation than SV; several times more, in fact. When SV was buffed to be one of the most overpowered specs in the game (dare I say it’s the most significant tuning advantage SV has ever had, including in its ranged days), it managed to zoom ahead to… 10% more than BM. Evidently performance is not the only factor here, and before you say that it’s because BM is easy: SV is also not difficult especially with the set bonus, and lots are playing MM as well. You can also compare to Warlocks where Demonology is still pretty good but Destruction has a ton more players.

Evidently there’s a dislike of melee Survival in the Hunter playerbase. It’s stupid to argue that it’s just a handful of people with a grudge on the forums. It’s clear from the representation statistcs. Many WoW influencers have talked about it. Even many people who currently play SV talk about how they would rather play the ranged version from MoP. Blizzard themselves have acknowledged that most Hunters don’t want to play melee. Continuing to pretend melee is just fine and it’s all about performance is a coping mechanism.

It’s not just a handful of people on the forums.

Ranged Survival is by far the most requested spec rework idea in class design discussions. It’s certainly a lot more requested than melee Survival was back when SV was ranged.

Here’s another take from a WoW influencer about melee SV for you. But I’m sure Limit Maximum is also just clueless and should be ignored, right? That seems to be your go-to response whenever anyone questions melee SV.

How does ignoring the most valuable and iconic strength of the class and rushing into the vastly-more-dangerous melee range to throw bombs at your feet and whirlwind a spear around speak “Survival” to you? If this line sounds familiar it’s because I already posted it and you ignored it the first time.

2 Likes

It’s so funny how much you have trouble with the concept of other people having their own opinions and yours not being objective fact. Sad, but amusing nonetheless

6 Likes

Aham I always make sure to use shadow damage in wild when I wanna survive.

I’m just surprised they didn’t give any form of cluster. They give you few option to increase the damage of WF bombs, and to reduce the CD even more. Instead of 18 sec they can be 16 plus regular reduction from butchery/carve up to 5 sec, plus Furry of the eagle 1.5 every time it crits. And it will crit at least 2-3 times. During testing in beta I always have one charge of bombs. Seems like you can’t drop below.

As well volatile bomb applies now serpent sting to 3 targets. Which is better than it was.

Huh? Do KC and SS not work on ptr? I’d imagine its probably pretty broken.

KC has not 100% reset chance when pheromone bomb debuff is active. But didn’t notice anything unusual about serpent sting

Tbh, I don’t really care what the wf guy says. I’m sure dudes a great player, nice guy, bla bla bla. But hes only concerned with top end pve and no other aspect of the game. Catering to players like that is how you go from a game with 10m players to 2m players. Lets be honest, if it wasn’t for classic wow versions, there’d be less than players than that.

He just took the part of video where he was talking about SV in first alpha test. And dude is right. Meta player base has a specific setup, and it’s harder to play melee. That’s why in meta or raid first you will never see stacking to many melee classes unless that class provides something good raid wide. This guy even recently said that SV hunter is in interesting spot because how versatile it can be with cooldowns. And ofc there is no argument about that ranged is preferred over melee. It will be good in M+ it will be good in pvp who care if the SV is not in raid first. I didn’t see arcane mage for long time in world first.

Game can’t be balanced around world first raiders. Those are profesionales who look at 0.01% of performance

3 Likes

The game always had a Meta. Even way back when there was RSV. Some people will always play what the best class is for X X X. Some people play what they enjoy, and still do well.

If you are producing for what guild/raid/party you play in, then that’s what counts. The 1% players who are on the max cutting edge is just that. 1% of the game.

I will still be playing SV in DF, and I wish I could get a beta invite so I can post what I found. I started the PTR hunter thread, and its going along ok. We need people to ACTUALLY test the build, not go on about things that are not going to change, such as going back to RSV.

Im playing SV on beta, and like I said. It’s versatile, it has good ST damage if you spec into it, and AOE is good even with bugged pheromone bomb and furry of the eagle. (kill command doesn’t have 100% chance to reset during pheromone bomb debuff, and it doesn’t reduce the CD of Furry of the healer by 3 sec)

You can have two big cooldowns, tip of the spear for single target , and 2 min coordinated assault for AOE . This may be first time Survival can be decent at both at the same time.

When they fix pheromone and FoTE it will be better in AOE and even single target by allot.

Mongoose Fury should interact with WB, and during the window you get get free WB procs, or increases WB damage by 50% for 14 sec. Than you can just blow up everything.