Strawpoll How many times do you AFK out of a BG In a Week?

NO. I MUST FOLLOW YOUTUBE STRATERGY GUIDEZ

Use it all the time and it works. If you fall behind at anytime you send one person back to go ahead and grab an orb to encourage their melee to over extend.

I’ll take cowardice out of Temple of Kotmogu any day.

I just backfilled into an IoC to find a feral and a ret whacking on me as I loaded in. I admit I dipped out of that one.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen to me a few times :rofl:

Nothing quite like zoning in, having a nearby demolisher notice you, and then getting 2-shotted instantly :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Gotta love the backfill spawn location in IoC…

1 Like

I’m gonna bump this and direct a few here.

I have no problem with people leaving a bg we most obviously are not going to win. If it’s a close fight, or something happened like a single flag cap, there’s no reason. But if it’s clear the other team is dominating us, then sure…leave, I don’t blame ya.

I find MOST battlegrounds are one-sided anyway. There’s rarely a close game nowadays that it’d even matter in the first place.

I understand the lack of matchmaking in randoms, but I do wish there was something inbetween rated and normal bg’s. I don’t feel like getting into discord and being super hardcore about winning the bg, but I also don’t want to get into a game that’s clearly unbalanced (gear, healer distribution, etc).

at least 1000 times per week srs

I dont ever afk out. The only time i leave is when my team is getting rolfstopmed. I refused to play in non competitive bg’s.

The thing is AFK is like quitting and quitting not in my vocabulary AFK gets easier the more times you do it.

1 Like

and now 1 BfG.

The problem is Xrealm tech… It allows people to be total failures in randoms without fear of embarrassment or social reprisal.

In vanilla, before xrealm bgs where added… People legitimately tried in bgs against all but the top premades… because they’d have been EMBARRASSED TO BE SEEN looking like a failure at any aspect of the game by their server peers… and be EMBARRASSED to make a poor representation of their guild in “public”… Furthermore those actions had social consequences because everything was a same server community… if people realized you where atrocious in BGs, they might (justifiably) hesitate to take you to dungeon groups, or outright decline you guild invites. It actually mattered that you perform in vanilla (at least before Xrealm bgs where introduced late vanilla to beta test the tech for TBC), and it’s one of the biggest things I’m hoping Classic gets right, by keeping that xrealm crap out.

@thread… at least 6… but rarely 15+ and I don’t think I’ve ever AFKd 20+ I’ll leave lopsided matches, particularly when on my alts, and I’ve grown a particular loathing over the years for CTF maps because the vast majority of the CTF games involve like 1-3 people at most actually ever making any attempt to return the flag, with the rest of the morons just expecting to miracle itself back to the base.

2 Likes

Usually this, if I queued up I intended to help out somehow, but I think there needs to be a debuff that gets worse and worse, and maybe only resets every Tuesday.
15 min then 1 hour then 2 hours then 1 day, I mean why is someone even afking 5 times in one week?

3 Likes

About once a week but not because it’s a bad game. Sometimes the toddler will wake up on my last epic game of the night. Nothing much I can do about that lol

4 Likes

That just IRL sometimes nothing can be done about any of that.

2 Likes

Some things can’t be avoided, but I doubt they are what’s causing 3-4 to leave a 10-15 man on a regular basis. My computer went into random spasms after 8.1.5. All would be fine for a couple of days and then I’d join a bg and the minute I’d engage in combat, my frame rate dropped to 0 and/or I’d dc. I even got a wow error message a few times. Games were unplayable and I really wasn’t helping my group when that happened.

2 Likes

How do you guys think that size of the BG affects this choice? For example, which size is most tempting to abandon and in which is it least “painful” to stay? Which is the most/least damaging to the team?

I bring this up because it occurs to me that many of us tend to see this issue/non-issue through the lens of our own experience in our personally-preferred battlegrounds. For example, I play vastly more small BG’s than I do epics, but I notice that many players do the opposite.

On the one hand, you could say that each AFK/desertion is potentially more damaging in a 10 man situation, where each player is 1/10th of their team rather than 1/40th. But, in a 10-man, an unlucky but intrepid backfiller probably has more of a chance to actually make an impact on the game, and I think the smaller games are generally more unpredictable, or at least more likely to be stolen by a comeback (one smart play or one dumb mistake).

On the other hand, when the epics spin out into that revolving-door situation, many more players have their queues wasted into backfill, and their queues were probably longer. Also the epic battlegrounds tend to take longer to play out. Multiple wasted queues are even more of a waste. Anecdotally, it seems like in the large-scale format, the /bg chat tends to get heated to another level more often and more quickly, which probably correlates positively with increased desertion. But that could just be my experience in a limited sample size compared to small-scale.

I guess your question It’s more for the ones that AFK I think AFK is bad no matter how you look at it. you AFK out someone got to get backfill in and that could be you.

1 Like

I think it’s the same. You can feel it immediately in reg BGs and it becomes difficult in places like temple where every body really counts.

In epics one leave starts a landslide most times til you are constantly 5 or 6 people down. A person might not personally feel it as much as a reg BG but there are a lot of DPS races in epics. Boss kills, more bodies for defense, more bodies for base skirmishes. I think some people believe epics have more people so they can skip out and it wont make much difference but it still really does. I’ve seen solo toons turn whole games around.
I think the above excuse is used a lot more to leave epics due to their time length.

Entering an epic and expecting it to be quick is pretty dumb to begin with though.

1 Like