Stop trying to re-balance Wrath

There is a difference between actually needed & requested changes vs those that no1 has asked about and guided by some arbitrary notion of developers.

It’s a shame that rdf has to be sacrificed on the altar of good changes but it is what it is. Probably will barely zone into dungeons as it is!

1 Like

They plan on making Ulduar more relevant, less incentive to spam Toc, and ICC harder over all?

I’m down with all of these. :+1: GJ Blizz

4 Likes

It’s not “more challenging content would do X” it’s that they’re nerfing gear to accomplish that when they could just be buffing the encounters.

This is wannabe game-balancer disguised as “making raids harder”. We do not want retail influences on WotLK. It’s why we play WotLK. Not to mention the consequences for this would be dire. For instance:

The 3.3.5 patch balances/talents/all things relative to character skills/abilities took into account the ICC gear levels. If you squish those then the performances of nerfed/buffed classes will also vary - and perhaps greatly so. For instance:

• Scourge Strike on 3.3.x was made to deal physical damage instead of pure shadow. Numbers were adjusted to make armor less detrimental to the ability because of its physical delivery. The high base damage relative to its shadow damage counterpart will be a lot more difficult to deal with if you are wearing cloth in a PvP space. Low armor values in early parts of the expansion compound this. Scourge Strike 3.3.x could arguably be better than its shadow damage counterpart in areas that may cause problems. This is just one example. My point is that 3.3.5 on Naxx gear levels is already “not balanced”.

So if you take relative balance changes of 3.3.5 and do not give them the appropriate stats to scale with (because you squished the item levels) you will be dealing with unintended balance consequences. What’s the solution then? Are you going to be buffing/nerfing classes in response because the formula is already muffed up? We do not want this.

If you want to make bosses more difficult, ask the raiders. Do not affect everyone with balance changes. Balance changes are precisely what I would venture to say all WotLK Classic players do not want. Item squishes are a balance change.

7 Likes

this is what happens when one change gets added. the slippery slope is real sweetie. this is what u were warned about.

12 Likes

I mean an ilvl squish is very dangerous, as the last several times they did this it screwed heavily with previous content and even the world content. Nobody wants world scaling either, and that’s a potential they may want to bring.

The issue is that the more they tamper with the game, the more people they lose. Classic was supposed to be about authenticity - this is dangerous behaviour.

2 Likes

There has been changes since the announcement of classic vanilla… Nothing new.

It’s all opinion, whatever suits your needs. It’s either nochanges or bust. It was bust when they removed RDF and frigged over wintergrasp.

3 Likes

They could do this without messing with I-levels. Make the raids harder. We’re opening the door for them to “balance” WotLK with retail philosophies if this is allowed. Pandora’s box. No thanks.

1 Like

in all fairness the community council said these are just being discussed and aren’t guaranteed changes.

1 Like

Varying in severity. Wrath’s changes are greater than we’ve ever had in either version of Classic, and there are yet more being announced.

1 Like

No reason why 10 or even 25 for that matter ToC N gear should surpass or honestly even come close to H uld 25 gear, which is dozens of times more difficult to obtain. Hopefully these changes will encourage more and more people to try hard modes. Hurrah! You can do it, people!

This is why you shouldn’t cheer about the removal (or addition) of features and changes that weren’t there when the game originally released.

They should’ve just done a re-run and not touched anything aside from technical/server stability changes like they marketed Classic as from the beginning…

19 Likes

I agree. I don’t want changes to ToC lockouts or ilvls.

3 Likes

imagine if they changed item level of Molten Core…that’d never happen.

Imagine if they made AQ phase 1 item level and MC phase 2…

RIGHT? Any other SMART company would just rerelease the pot of gold it was. I can’t even get my friends to come back to this version.

9 Likes

You are right. I guess my opinion on that is that WOTLK is where the game made a drastic shift of game philosophy and became a lot more easy and tainted with QoL features; I’m ok with them not going down that path again. Just my opinion.

Personally, that’s one of the things I liked most about Classic (Vanilla**) gearing. That there wasn’t a ton of power creep between raid tiers and that some items even from the easiest raids stayed relevant throughout the life of the game.

I feel like that lent some replayability to the the content and you had more wiggle room for stepping away from the game, playing a new character, etc… without putting yourself at a really big disadvantage.

2 Likes

Well, keep in mind that a lot of people were waiting for Wrath. Many people wanted these features and the more easy time in general. Is it fair to them that now this just isn’t happening anymore, just to appease an unknown number of players who did get their turn?

4 Likes

Its a less extensive change than tweaking the numbers on raid mechanics would be and there is way less of a chance of them breaking an encounter by changing item levels.

I would much rather have a 40 less sp on my staff than have Putricide deal 3x as much damage and instant gib tanks for a month to satisfy the sweat lords in ICC.

Considering how much stuff was broken when they added the boosting changes to mobs you shouldn’t want them messing around under the hood in dungeons and raids.

1 Like