Stop rewarding the 1%

This thread resonates with me.

I started WoW (back in 2004) to join an RPG. I rolled an an RP server because I wanted a more immersive and mature environment.

I’ve been playing consistently ever since then.

Here we are, nearly 18 years later. This is what I’ve seen:

Blizzard has become more and more focussed on the competitive elements of this game, seemingly for the sake of bolstering their esports business. Originally, it was just PvP. That was the competitive side of WoW, and that was fine.

Then the Race to World First became a thing, but it didn’t really negatively impact the rest of us adventurers, initially.

Over time, however, raid encounters became more and more complex. Today, the result is Sepulcher of the First Ones. The pinnacle of raiding designed for the RWF top raiders. Everyone else can just suffer through incredibly frustrating and overtuned encounters (on all difficulties) while Blizzard takes the entire season to re-tune.

Then there is Mythic Plus. At first, it was just a fun way to challenge dungeoneers as well as a good re-use of existing dungeon content throughout an expansion. Then came the Mythic Dungeon Invitational. More esports, encouraging maximum competition. Now every new mythic season is a fresh treadmill of ratings elitism and Fear of Missing Out on the Mount of the Season.

Let’s talk about FOMO a little more:

FOMO has always been in WoW in some way or another, from the earliest days. We had Naxx and the T3 sets. In BC we had seasonal PvP gear and mounts (and ever since). But it was limited.

Now, we have limited-time raid rewards (Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge), limited-time dungeon rewards (Keystone Master and Keystone Hero), and limited-time PvP rewards.

More and more is becoming “Get it now before it’s too late! Play harder! Play more! Once it’s gone it’ll be gone forever!”

This is exploitative and it fosters an unhealthy game environment. There’s simply too much of it.

Every little missed mount and broken streak just whittles down my will to play that particular activity. For example, in SL, I’ve been doing KSM every season (so far). After S4 is done, I might very well be done with M+, period. I’m not enjoying it any more. I’m willing to break that streak (and end the FOMO by missing out) just to be free of the new M+ treadmill every few months. I don’t want to miss-out, but it’s getting too frustrating and stressful to be worth it.

I’m still strongly in that boat for Ahead of the Curve. I’ve not missed one AoTC, ever. I don’t want to, and FOMO still has me there. There may come a time when if I miss it, I’ll be done with organized raiding. Why? Because this is what FOMO psychology has done to this game for me.

“Do it now or miss it forever!”

Fine, then I guess I’ll just give it up.

And this is the problem. This is short-sighted game design. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve known over the years who have quit due to burnout over stuff like this.

I feel like they’ve been designing the game for esports and have forgotten the true roots of the game, as… well… a massively multiplayer online role playing game. It was an adventure to be shared with friends. It was a place to make friends in your adventures.

It was not primarily a competition, with the sole exception being PvP, which is inherently competitive.

Now, everything feels like a competition and if you don’t race, you lose. If you don’t race fast enough or hard enough, you lose.

So, what can be done?

• Scale-back the FOMO outside of PvP. Any M+ seasonal rewards should be available through other means later. If people want to catch-up later, they can. (PvP gear actually ended-up working like this, and I applaud that.)

• Tune all raid difficulties more appropriately for the overall WoW audience. Normal = easy mode for super-casual friends and family, accessible to as many as possible. Heroic = tuned for guild groups who with a reasonable bit of practice can overcome most encounters in good order. Mythic = considerably more difficult, though perhaps not so much that only a few groups in the world can do it.

• Support more solo or small group activities. Remember scenarios? What about tuning old dungeons to be scalable and done in group of 1-5 people (perhaps filling with NPCs)? Heck, what about doing that with old raids to replace LFR?

• Enable players to grow in experience and skill at their own pace. Build them up, don’t tear them down. That means create content that starts relatively easy, but slowly builds to become more challenging. The Deaths of Chromie and Horrific Visions are an example of this.

These are just some of the ideas off the top of my head.

The point is that there’ve strayed too far from the roots (and original players) of this game. It’s no longer about encouraging new players with new systems and new adventures. It’s become about keeping old players feeling locked-in, but eventually that backfires, and we’ve been seeing that.

Give us reasons to want to play with awesome and fun content, not reasons why we don’t want to leave for fear of missing out on limited-time content and rewards.

4 Likes

If you are creating a MMORPG and your design goals don’t revolve around trying to have more people play with other people, you’ve failed at the genre itself. It’s bad MMORPG game design to only care about a small subset of players. You might as well just design a single player game at that point.

that’s a horrible idea imo.

when it’s solved content - and has been min/maxed to death - i think you’re asking for a handout at that point, since you can no longer replicate the difficulty. Classic is some of the best evidence of this. :100:

a new reward for a new season is the most fair way to do this if you ask me.

and no - scaling is not the same as mastering the dungeon with its current affix rotation in a said season.

1 Like

Why do people think when someone says “why only reward the top players?” They assume it means “I want the same thing with no effort”? Op was asking for alternative methods of obtaining it, that’s all.

For example how about cool mount for winning 500 or 750 arena games above 12 or 1400 rating in the season gets you those rewards?

Winning that many games takes dedication, especially if you lose a lot. Heck look at all the people on the forums that brag about getting 2200 in like 80 games and tell others that get there in 500 games that they suck.

There’s absolutely no reason to not give people a different way to achieve those things if they are willing to put in the effort of grinding it.

2 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly OP. +1

because you dont deserve everything, get good and play the game, if not, you dont deserve the reward

1 Like

false, this is the only xpac they gave them a unique mount, all other glad mounts in the past had unarmored versions

thats because good players deserve to be rewarded with unique and cool things, if you arent doing challenging content, then why do you deserve the coolest rewards? Go buy a boost

1 Like

I used the money I’m not giving Blizzard anymore to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2 with all expansions and American Truck Simulator with all expansions.

I don’t even drive in real life, so this is going to be interesting.

I’m all stocked up on casual content, now.

I think the game needs to stop rewarding players who do absolutely nothing.

• If you do world content, there’s mounts, mogs, toys, pets, achievements, etc… Also there’s gear, and it’s more than enough to help you farm fast and be powerful at world content.
  • If you do dungeons there’s usually gear, mounts and achievements. Not too many toys, and sometimes pets. The gear you get is good enough that you can do any dungeon by strictly farming dungeons, and eventually be powerful in that content.
  • Raids, pretty much same rewards as dungeons and the same gear progression.
  • PvP you unlock all of the same stuff as above.

There’s hardcore versions of everything. I 100% will never get all or even most of the world drop mounts, pets, mogs, rare reputations, titles, achievements, etc… I just don’t have the time for it. Does that mean Blizzard should nerf the crap out of that world content and make it so I can put in minimal effort to achieve all that so many others did when it was “harder”? NO! That degrades the content and diminishes the accomplishments of those who came before me.

The same goes w/ all other content, it’s purpose and rewards serve those best who do that content, and do it well. How less cool would ultra rare world mounts like Time-Lost Proto, Sha mount, or the Charger in the maw be if they became 100% drop rate and placed on a predictable quick timer?

If you don’t have the time, and can’t put in the effort, or even if you’re too unskilled (or just refuse to get better) to do a form of content, you probably don’t need the rewards that go with it. It’s that simple. This is a video game, achievements and rewards go to those who complete that specific content. It’s not about rewarding the 1%, it’s about rewarding the gamers who do the content.

ANYONE can do this content, some are just better/faster at it. Envy is an insidious plague that I thought we crushed in Pandaria, and yet here it is. Consuming the forums and the 1% of players who can’t stand that others (apparently the other 1%) have what they want. And that’s truly the most toxic thing I see in WoW.

In b4 someone tells me I need to see grass, or have no life. Even though I’m technically casual based off actual time played and have a great life outside WoW :slight_smile: k thanks.

2 Likes

Touch some.

2 Likes

Good players do deserve unique and cool things, but outside the ones that sell the boosts or those that get CE early in the season, I’d question how "good: some of these people that get them really are.

Does anyone stop to think that maybe some are asking for challenging content that does not take a group to do.

Agree, but I’d extend it to any that buy carries or boosts (aside from maybe the level boost) get a “fool’s gold” version of the gear/reward, LFR stats, Mythic look and if they are the kind to buy such, and then tell others to “git gud” then make them appear like the kitten trying to be a tiger they are.

2 Likes

yea, boosting is a plague on the game for sure.

It’s the only option blizzard gives people who either don’t have the time or don’t have the connections to get the rewards they hold just out of reach. And blizzard makes bank through out the whole process via tokens so don’t bet on it changing any time soon since they literally made boosters their own channel

SL suffers from it because most of them don’t look appealing to the mass. It is very disconnected from WoW. What the game desperately, desperately needs are class fantasy updates. More heritage armors, mounts and class-specific titles and transmogs.

FOMO wouldn’t be a problem if the game supports actually the character and race you play decently. The newer race don’t suffer from this too much (BfA, WoD, MoP) but this is a significant issue these days.

Very well said.

Nintendo does this in Mario Maker. Top percent of expert players get a crown for their mii. No one really thinks twice about it or feel like everyone should have it. You just have to work towards it and until then it remains an awe factor when you see someone who is achieving it.

Problem is, boosting kills that awe factor. Nothing is really looked at as achieved anymore. It’s seen through the eyes of everything has a price tag attached. Began a pattern of purchasing everything through boosting, you’ve forgotten what it means to achieve it and all the hard work/knowledge necessary. Players are dancing around with this excuse of everyone gets everything no strings attached, not because they feel like everyone really deserves it, but because y’all have begun a pattern of purchasing WoW tokens the moment you all see anything new.

It’s something of a cultural phenomenon. No one questions the quality; they just need to instantaneously have the newest and shiny thing.

1 Like

If we’re being honest here, it’s pretty lame to want people who are rewarded for hard work to lose out on rewards, simply because you don’t think yours are good enough.

3 Likes

How are they losing out? Also, not many are honest here.

Agreed. I hate M+ and didnt bother with that extra long boring version of torghast(cant remember what that wing was called) and wont be getting any of the rewards from that content. I dont mind because there are plenty of other options in this game.