Stop rewarding the 1%

Considering casual people raid and do mplus the word casual is probably not the best word to use.

1 Like

People like the OP just won’t be happy until the game is a sandbox with console commands for any item you want.

2 Likes

Dude long time no see

1 Like

Yeah dog, got tired of Decon demo for the last 4 years, but popped back in few days ago for S4

1 Like

I can sell you all the things you mentioned. ( for gold )

1 Like

I don’t think I’d agree with M+ being not more casual than raiding. M+ really meets you where you are with the scaling system. You can do almost exactly the difficulty you personally find enjoyable. It’s also way easier to find 4 people to play with than 9+ (flex raiding) let alone 19 if you want to do mythic. If you don’t really know much about M+ or your spec and you don’t really want to learn more you can just do like 4s or whatever whenever you want.

1 Like

I don’t blame you. I went hunter because after going lock because every guild I was in didn’t have I seemed to keep joining guilds that had two or three lol.

I’m starting to gear my lock up now that affliction and Destro are strong again.

2 Likes

Yes, I do play as you can see from my achievement points. My point is that they should not be the only way to get the “absolute best gear” in game but the absolute best way to get gear for that type of content. This is where we differ, you feel people that play Mythic+ and Raid are entitled to best gear in game. I say they are entitled to the best gear Mythic+ and Raiding has to offer.

Challenging content can be made outside of Mythic+ and raiding and I believe it should be reward with a high ilvl. Gear should be more specialized so people do not feel their content rewards is being trivialized by sharing ilvls with other content.

What you’re describing is a meritocracy and most people believe it goes hand in hand with capitalism. Sadly, they’re often mistaken. Almost all of the time, superficial biases, and assumptions get in the way of a real meritocracy, and players cheat, lie, and steal to get what they want, while insisting they earned it and are more deserving.

WoW is a video game and many players come to it for the fantasy elements. The more of an economic/capitalistic game we get, the more it’ll draw a specific subset of people to it while pushing out others.

The OP isn’t being entitled. They’re simply asking for a more fantasy like game. One where anything is possible, as opposed to a meritocracy based game where only the “worthy” reap the rewards.

3 Likes

No offense but I don’t really check peoples achievement points.

I disagree. Blizzard has designed this game to reward the best gear from the hardest content. The hardest content is in group content.

If they were to make a way for solo players to get the best gear in the game it would be so difficult that the vast majority of the solo player base wouldn’t be able to compete it anyways.

Having to keep and build multiple sets for every type of content is bad designing. In BFA I had to carry around 5 sets of Azerite gear for a warlock. There are two types of gameplay. PvE and PvP. Each of those should have different sets and they do. There shouldn’t be anymore type of sets than that.

If it were to be added it would be so difficult that the majority would not be able to complete it and then people would beg for nerfs.

This game isn’t designed or intended to primarily be played solo. It’s intended to play in groups doing pve or pvp content. The solo content has been added to give people something to do why they wait for friends to get on. It’s never been designed to be a primary way to obtain higher ilvl.

3 Likes

Uhh the OP is one hundred percent being entitled demanding a mount from content he doesn’t do.

1 Like

Unfortunately for the people who want that sort of thing, that isn’t the sort of game wow has ever been. WoW is a multiplayer game, or at least always has been. Because of it being a multiplayer game it is barely even possible to balance a game around solo play. The big problem with mage tower was the massively different utilities and defensives every class had access to. Doing tank on a DH vs a pally was a completely different experience and difficulty.

I’m not even sure how much sense it makes to create a single player pillar of endgame content. Then again I don’t really understand why people pay a WoW sub to rep grind and tmog farm. People who play the endgame pillars and people who don’t sort of don’t even play the same game. I can hardly even conceive of the mindset of players who don’t raid, M+, or PvP.

You know I never understood this either because I can’t stand playing this game by myself.

But hey if people enjoy that type of content then that’s all that matters and I say let them. The issue with me is when they start demanding the game cater to them by changing the base design of the game.

Isn’t that the point, though? That WoW needs to change?

LOL this is an extremely good point.

what percentage of raiders clear CE and get the best gear? I don’t know. let’s say 2% for the sake of argument.

Imagine if that max gear were available to solo players via some solo gameplay, but tuned so high that only the top 2% of them could achieve it.

the rage would be insane and provide forum amusement for weeks.

3 Likes

That it would. It would be like magetower and torghast combined

The interesting part is things like tier sets, can be acquired from LFR, and M+ can give insane Ilvl jumps from vault even in low keys, fully available to casual people.

That’s a nutty amount of power available for people who do rather tame content, and honestly have better access to strong equipment then people who hardcore prog, since during prog you lock your raid preventing you from actually getting a lot of upgrades you may need.

Here’s how I view it: Blizzard has effectively made a game where gear is the focal point. I don’t think that this is necessarily a bad thing.

But when this is the only thing that matters in your game, cutting off a large chunk of the player base from that reward scheme simply because it doesn’t fit their content of choice, especially when that game’s original emphasis is about player choice and having an open world filled with unique and interesting activities, is bad game design no matter how you slice it.

World of Warcraft, no matter how much people want to say that it’s always been this way, has not always been this way. Yes, the BiS gear has always been attached to the hardest content, but the difference between World of Warcraft then and World of Warcraft now is:

1. There used to not be such a major gap in power between pre-raid and BiS. There was your pre-raid gear and then the raid gear, and that was it. Raid gear was extremely powerful, make no mistake, but it certainly did not negate pre-raid gear. In fact, some pre-raid gear still remained BiS even after getting raid gear. Item levels make that impossible because the power is attached to the item level number (I.E. the bigger the number, the better the gear is). There were no difficulty tiers and when they later introduced them to the game, they still didn’t invoke a major power gap in the way pre-raid to mythic does currently.
  2. There were activities that engaged the average casual player in meaningful ways. Those activities still technically exist, but they either haven’t been updated in so long that they aren’t as interesting anymore or they have been nerfed to oblivion and are placeholders for some other activity in the game.
  3. With the addition of scaled leveling, the game has been balanced so that you get weaker the more you level up. When you start leveling, you feel like a powerhouse to the point that nothing can stop you. When you get to the endgame, that power has been taken away from you and the only way to get it back is with gearing. However, you never really get to that point again unless you push beyond normal/LFR. It feels bad and is bad design.

At the end of the day, World of Warcraft is meant to be a “world,” not a series of phased instances. That’s not to say that that type of content can’t or shouldn’t exist, but it shouldn’t be the only thing.

So Blizzard can go down one of two avenues: They can either stick to the reward scheme that they have right now and expand upon it by making it more feasible for all players to achieve the best gear or at least relatively great gear.

OR, they can change their reward scheme by focusing more on new and varied rewards that appeal to all players, add new activities and revamp older ones (and judging from Dragonflight, they seem to be doing this with professions), and keep the gear relegated to the hardest content in the game.

I don’t think Blizzard needs to make the content more difficult. I think they need to adjust to the game they so clearly want to design.

2 Likes

all players can achieve the best gear by doing the content. If you choose not to do the content, the natural repercussion of that is not getting the gear.

a game that gives the same gear for killing boars out in the world as it does for killing the hardest group content is a game with a broken reward structure.

and the game provides that now. you can get 252s in ZM, you can get 2 291 legendaries, you can get m0 gear and upgrade to 272ish with valor from m0s or low m+, or LFR.

honest to god you have to actively try to not get gear in this game. And frankly, if someone’s trying that hard to do nothing, then yes, I’ll say it - they don’t deserve it.

3 Likes

By what merits, exactly? What makes that a “broken” reward structure?