Stop rewarding the 1%

As someone with Body Type 1 am I allowed to have an opinion on this?

I don’t think these things are entirely exclusive. I think Blizzard is probably doing this because they need to survive the content draught but I also think the fact that they immediately gravitated towards raids as the focal point shows that they are catering to raiders.

So regardless of whether or not raiders like the new season is entirely pointless when Blizzard’s intention was clearly to keep raiders busy while the rest of the game waits.

And by the rest of the game you mean open world players, because M+ players are technically getting more than they usually get for an in expansion patch. It’s new old dungeons they don’t really want but still technically more than just the same dungeons and PvP people are getting the same which is nothing but a new season.

Sure, but to be honest I think there is considerable overlap between raiders and M+ players.

Eh, rewards for 1%ers is fine, but “designing the game around” 1%ers isn’t. Asmongold has pointed out this 10-80-10 pattern before and why it’s bad for the game.

Basically the gist of his theory is that the game is now designed for the “bottom” 10% (ultra-ultra casual LFR’ers, barely even pay attention to wow news or blue-posts, collect transmogs, etc) and the “top” 10% (your typical Mythic raiders, high io players) - while the “middle” 80% mostly gets ignored/gets the table scraps in terms of content and attention from devs

Now obviously for the health/longevity of the game they should be catering to the “middle” 80% majority instead, but they seem content leaning on their “WoW token and boost sales model” to prop up the game while continuing to focus their attention on the bottom/top 10% players

7 Likes

I think the (unfortunate answer) is that FOMO makes more people want to play at certain times to get things that go away forever. This increases sales. LEGO sets do this with play sets that retire to make you want to buy sets with a certain degree of urgency.

There’s a massive issue with accessibility as well. The existing skill and knowledge gap that currently exists in the modern game is such that the content that the “1%” participates in isn’t really considered that challenging as long as you are used to playing in that environment .

+15s are a good example of this. A lot of people scoff at the difficulty of 15s because they are really comfortable just rolling over them, but A LOT more players struggle to even break into that level of keystone let alone time a key at that level.

Same thing goes for raiding, AOTC raiding is considered by most of the community to be fairly challenging content that will take several months of pugging/organized progression to clear. And at the same time, the players that regularly clear mythic stomp through heroic in a week or two.

So there is the massive rift that gets created between “average” players and players in the “1%” which leads to quite a lot of animosity between the groups. I’m not exactly sure how Blizzard can deal with this issue because to some extent it is a community/individual player issue. A player has to want to get better on your own her own in order to break into that higher level of existing content, but every year that goes by, every class and raid tier that gets added, the knowledge gap grows larger.

And breaking into the high end PvE, or PvP scene requires either a lot of luck, or a lot of determination. Personally I was really lucky that he first expansion I decided to try my hand at mythic raid, I was able to achieve Cutting Edge every tier, I was fortunate that the guilds I joined were happy to help me learn the ropes so I was able to be a meaningful contributor to the group’s success, but that is absolutely not the case for a lot of players, and it really is just easier to write off higher end play as “try-hard” or “sweaty” when that’s really all you experienced rather than try and grit your teeth and push through.

You can do that in mplus.

Raiding isn’t the same thing.

So let’s get rid of LFR.

There’s also the difficulty difference.

Again there’s no new content. Hard concept is hard for you.

It’s a crap patch for everyone not just raiders.

I agree with your sentiment, but to suggest that
1% = good
and
99% = bad
is idiotic

1 Like

The more you speak the more you show how incapable you are of reason and logic.

If the content is still raiding content, whether or not it’s new is utterly irrelevant because it’s still a patch with raiding content as the center focus. Raiders can hate it all they want, but it’s still raiding-focused patch. I’d also wager that raiders are going to be the ones playing it even if there’s drop off in the amount of engagement.

You are so caught up on the concept of “new” which is nothing more than a self-imposed definition of what it means to have a raid-focused patch. There’s no rulebook that states the content has to be new.

Learn to argue better.

P.S. I never said it wasn’t a crappy patch. However, it changes nothing about it being raid-focused.

2 Likes

Everyone wants to be rewarded but the problem with how Blizzard does rewards (character progression) is solely based around raiding. People that do the raiding get the higher level of rewards. I don’t have a problem with this but the problem is that it leaves out a large group of people. My thoughts on the issue has been to create three different branches of rewards or character progression.

1. Raiding, nothing really would change with this, I would roll in Mythic+ with raiding.
  2. PvP, I don’t pvp so I am not going to go into the rewards here. What I do believe is that PvPers should not have to go outside PvP for gear rewards.
  3. World Content, this would include wq, crafting, and bringing back things like scenarios. Even things like Torghast and Mage Tower styled content.

Here is where things get dicey. The reward ilvl would be the same across the branches, so the highest level of Raiding, PvP, and World Content would share ilvl. What would make the gear different are set bonuses and design. People will be able to tell at a glance what content that gear came from. Also because of set bonuses gear from that content will also be BIS gear for that content.

Blizzard really needs to rethink what character progression looks like and how those rewards effect gameplay over all.

The irony.

Please show me a content patch before the season four one that did not add new content?

The whole point of a content patch is to bring new stuff in.

If it’s a content patch for anyone it’s a content patch for mplus as they are getting different dungeons in the mplus pool.

That means it’s designed for mplus not raiders

So yet again you are wrong.

The only thing that people are currently using in pvp is the iqd trinket and that may also only be in tournament realm.

Almost everyone doesn’t use any pve gear

Blizzard has built this game around rewarding gear based on difficulty. The hardest content gets the highest rewards.

World content and everything you listed outside of crafting will never reward the best ilvl in the game.

It’s still a content patch nonetheless and is using raids as the main focus so it’s still a raid-focused patch. You can continue to word vomit some nonsense that has no bearing on the intention of the patch and you will continue to be wrong.

Lol okay, so let me get this straight:

Recycling Shadowlands raids we’ve experienced before - Not content

Recycling dungeons from old expansions - Content

Make it make sense lmao

4 Likes

I agree with the OP.

Reading some of the comments, I find most of the arguments presented against the OP’s position to be shallow and unsound.

Most arguments reference the concept of “earning”. You need to earn those rewards. Don’t expect to obtain something for free. Don’t expect to obtain the same rewards as someone who is better than you.

Although the concept of earning is central to our everyday life in “the real world”, it does not have to be present to the same extent in a virtual world such as WoW. It’s not like there’s any economic resources tied to the production of gladiator mounts; i.e. Blizzard could spawn a bazillion of those, Mercedes cannot spawn a bazillion M-Class.

Also this expectation of greater reward for skilled individuals is more a conditioning, that we are all subject to. You are conditioned to expect that people that are better at something, will receive greater rewards. Although this holds in the “real world” (and has definite value), it does not need to hold in a virtual world. Individuals that are good at the game are already naturally rewarded; social recognition, ego boost, etc… Why is there a need to reward them further?

Most importantly, the OP is not proposing an easy access to all the rewards of the 0.1%. He is proposing a change in the reward structure. He never proposed removing the gladiator title. He even proposed keeping a recolor of the mount. The social validation would still be there for the 0.1%. Also, I am sure the OP would be willing to jump through a few hoops to obtain those mounts.

The argument of the OP is not that skill should not be rewarded. It’s that the current reward scheme makes little sense.

4 Likes

I don’t PvP but it is good to know.

This is the problem, This game is almost 20 years old and having character progression tied to just raiding is no longer working. There can be hard content outside of raiding, just look at the Mage Tower and class quest. It is all just a matter of tuning and the amount of effort Blizzard is willing to put into other forms of content.

1 Like

Actually I’ve received most of my gear from M+, not by raiding.

I put Mythic+ with raiding in my first post, I don’t really see mythic+ as a more casual environment than raiding. What I am looking for is something for the more casual or solo player in mind. Not something that is easier, which is what people assume when casual or solo is mentioned.

I’m not trying to be rude but do you play the game?

There are multiple avenues of ways to gear up.

Mplus and raiding are the only ones that give the absolute best gear but they should be the only avenues to get the best gear.

Solo questing has access up to normal raid level which is the highest that avenue shoukd award.

1 Like