Steve Danuser Sylvanas Info Blizzcon 2019

We were all ranting and gnashing our teeth when Cairne died for nothing.

We were all shouting obscenities when Garrosh went full villain.

I was mad as hell that Thrall abandoned us in such a terrible way.

And I lost my mind at how quickly they disposed of Voljin.

You think we’re just here to complain about Sylvanas? We’ve been screaming about the Horde since the beginning, and Sylvanas isn’t even the final straw, because Blizzard WILL DO IT AGAIN IF THEY WANT TO. They flat out owned up to all the retcons they’re making. They’re proud of what they’ve done.

37 Likes

Because none of them did so much damage to the Horde on the way out.

For being an insane warmonger, Garrosh actually won battles and even if his villainbatting and death was a stupid waste, the Horde was still in an okay position, even if the humiliation of SoO stung.

When Cairne, Vol’jin, and Thrall left, it was tragic in the sense of their personal characters and bad for the Horde in the sense of “musical Warchiefs” (or not, in Cairne’s sense) and made the faction weaker, but there was still something left to work with.

Sylvanas started a war that bitterly divided the Horde, had them lose damn near every battle they engaged in, and apparently had a horrific death toll just so we could lose the war. She wasn’t the only one to go - Blizzard took out Saurfang with her, took away even the mild importance of Nathanos, and tore out Baine’s spine in the process of writing this story. If you cannot see how this most recent episode was more damaging than the ones you cite, then I can only assume you are allowing your prejudices to blind you.

Droite manages to be infuriatingly smug in everything they post, so I suspect that is why there is extra enmity directed towards them. Droite will lap up the coming wave of retcons as justification of their “Sylvanas was always bad” personal belief, while ignoring all the counterpoints raised and pointing to the retcons themselves as proof that these counterpoints were never true in the first place.

30 Likes

This confirmed it for me:

Q: With the faction war settling down, would you consider loosening faction restrictions on grouping with friends?
A: I understand you want to play with opposite faction and it would be easier for you but mechanically it’s a pillar of what makes Warcraft Warcraft. That division has value, although we do want to look for ways for you to play with lots of people. Formal cross faction play is not in the cards.

The factions are here to stay but can’t group together even after all this hub bub about “breaking the cycle”, which means in other words they will make the Horde do more war crimes when they want to do another “faction war” expansion in a couple years.

29 Likes

Yeah, I find the triumphalism of the anti-Sylvanas crowd irritating–especially when they frame it as “this was destined from the beginning” rather than “Blizzard lay heroic and villain hooks for ages and then took the villain route.”

But then, when you point that out to Droité, they justifiably point to all the abuse the Sylvanas crowd has lobbed their way and how that’s killed all their empathy for that crowd. Like, I wouldn’t want to have a productive conversation after a lot of their early threads either.

I dunno. I’m not really in a position to police forum behavior or whatever because I’m an @sshole who can’t keep a consistent tone for more than 10 posts at a time, and I often actively troll (badly), but like. This particular kind of player-on-player poison annoys me more than the usual forum BS. People who manage to enjoy the game aren’t the enemy.

10 Likes

Can your really say Sylvanas is evil though? They said The Jailor was the main evil person. Maybe they will pull an Azshara and have Sylvanas go against the Jailor to save everyone!? I can’t see her as a raid boss…I mean Garrosh 2.0. They’ve made wrathion a raid boss…how many more main folks can we turn evil and make bosses? Maybe after defeating the Jailor she will be punished…and her soul goes into the maw, gets sucked in…haha. But I hate an ending like that for her. But I’m sort of tired of her.

Are they going to explain Vul’jin’s death at all?!?? Anyone know???

More like:

2 Likes

So the next step is to stop thinking?

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I’m not a paragon of virtue. I mostly post off the cuff, and while I’ve never been one of the “YEAH BURN THE TREE” crowd, I know those people exist.

I don’t know. I think this player viciousness (that Blizzard intentionally stirred up, mind you) is one of the hidden costs to BfA that is going to hurt them in the long run more than they realize. Nastiness in the playerbase on forums translates to nastiness in the game. Can you imagine what it would have been like if they HAD allowed cross-faction grouping in Shadowlands? How much rancor there would have been in random LFG pugs? GD is even nastier than we are.

12 Likes

Both of y’all can bite my shiny Granny Smiths.

5 Likes

They actually DO allow you to que into Alliance bgs as Horde with merc mode lmao.
For the most part though I think it wouldn’t be a big deal. Like in dungeons, not many people are actually gonna begin wiping and trolling the group out of faction pride rofl. What?? There’s a dirty dwarf in my group!?? Oh hell nah!! FOR THE HORDE!!! pulls entire dungeon

4 Likes

Please don’t be angry baby, I never wanted this for you.

… alright I was gonna post a vid of the human male death noise, but they don’t got one.

1 Like

Blizzcon 2019 the end of Horde pride. Without Sylvanas as Warchief anymore, what is the Horde but a “Red Alliance”? Now excuse me while I cheer on Blizzard for giving me Undead that can hide their bones and I’ll beg for Undead to have an upright posture because I want to be “Undead” but look as human as possible with no blemishes. But don’t for a second think I want Calia as leader! That’s Alliance stuff.

So long Horde pride! 2004-2019. Hopefully next time Horde commits unwarranted mass death upon the Alliance they will pat us on the back for it instead of telling us we are bad guys then I’ll feel Horde pride again.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It was a problem in the beginnings of merc mode back in WoD, but people got over it pretty quickly.

1 Like

There’s still hope for the Horde! Don’t forget that Geya’rah wants genocide too!

2 Likes

This sounds like a murder suicide when you play them back to back.

1 Like

You still see it on Ally side sometimes. If you’re losing you’ll see “Ugh For the Horde, Alliance is bad!” then [insert name] has left the battleground

This is the greatest one in the game by far tho. That dramatic grasping and screaming at the sky always gets me.

4 Likes

It’s never as good as Horde battlegrounds when someone at the start says “Horde never loses, I’ve won 5 in a row” then we lose and that same person leaves the battleground. I guess you can’t lose when you always leave losing battlegrounds :joy:

2 Likes

“OOF… HNGAAAAAAAAA!

This is a complete sentence.

6 Likes