Steve Danuser Sylvanas Info Blizzcon 2019

Steve Danuser:

Obviously we had- we've seen Sylvanas through the course of Legion, and that intro cinematic, right, when the airships and everything and she's kind of giving Varian a hand. So, as we get into the Shadowlands we're going to be finding out a lot of Sylvanas' motivation and what her relationship with the Jailer is and when it started and we'll find out that it actually leads back quite a bit earlier in the timeline. You may be familiar with a story called Edge of Night in which Sylvanas lept off the top of Icecrown. And you saw part of the story there. But that was kind of the start of her interactions with the Jailer. And as for why Sylvanas would lend an arrow to aid Varian, there was a long term strategy where Sylvanas needed to get into a position where she could take over the mantle of Warchief, and she couldn't do that if she was aggro and everyone was against her, so she had to bide her time, and now we're seeing the fruition of that in Shadowlands.

Close enough. Let me have this. I don’t ever get to predict anything right.

And if you care to read a wall of text, I have some speculation to piece things together:

Great rewards await those you push themselves to their limits to climb the tower. As you progress through Torghast, you’ll gather runes along the way that you can take to a runeforge, where the Runesage will help you forge legendary items. You’ll also be able to learn a bit more about origins of iconic legendary items such Frostmourne or the Helm of Domination.

Emphasis mine, because this is what we know about the origins of Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination, from World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume III Page 17:

A group of dreadlords – Tichondrius, Balnazzar, Detheroc, Mal'Ganis, and Varimathras – took turns subjecting Ner'zhul to the most horrific agony.

The orc soon begged for death. Kil’jaeden agreed to grant it to him, but only in return for absolute servitude as the Legion’s new weapon. Death would just be the beginning.

Ner’zhul, his sanity cracking, finally agreed. Kil’jaeden passed the orc’s spirit through death and revived him as a spectral entity. The orc’s consciousness expanded a thousandfold, granting him extraordinary psychic powers. The dreadlords bound his disembodied spirit to a specially crafted set of armor and a mighty runeblade called Frostmoune.

This is to say, the dreadlords might have been to Torghast. And more specifically, Varimarthras might not have just known about Sylvanas’ plans all along, but the Jailer’s as well:

So, your Alliance still endures. Longer than I expected, though she has already planted the seeds of its downfall. She is patient, that one.

When your thrones run red with betrayal… when your holy places burn and the shattered mask hangs above your hearth… only then you will know. And it will be too late.
    It matters not. You are blind to the true darkness closing in around you.

So, she found me at last. Sent her underlings to finish the job.
    Tell me, when she seized your throne of hides and bones, was your allegiance forced? No… I’d wager you surrendered it willingly… or were convinced you did.
    It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst.

The bold text leads us back to what Danuser said at the Q&A Panel. And the underlined leading us back to the next expansion:

Into the Shadowlands

The Broken Machine

The machine of death is broken, and players entering the Shadowlands will find the realm of the dead in disarray. In the natural order of things, souls are sorted and sent on to an afterlife realm appropriate to the lives they lived, but now, but over the past few years, all souls who have perished—including the innocents slain at Teldrassil—are being funneled directly into the Maw. The Shadowlands are starving for anima even as the Maw continues to grow from the glut of fresh souls.

Sylvanas has been seemingly perpetrating acts to bring about great amounts of death and destruction. In partnership with the Jailer, they have been working toward a common end for some time.

TL;DR: Looks like Before the Storm is getting retcons.

13 Likes

/sigh

This is why WoW lore is such a mess to discuss. Nothing is reliable.

62 Likes

Congratulations!

But it’s no cause for celebration. :deciduous_tree:

4 Likes

Indeed also at Blizzcon 2019:

5 Likes

I feel the heat of that fire on my face even now.

And I can still hear the cheers.

13 Likes

Old Stevie must have had to go have a cry into his body pillow after having to say all that.

6 Likes

I expected to be validated, but I never expected to be THIS validated.

I honestly don’t know how to process it.

14 Likes

I have reached critical smugness. On the verge of super critical smug.

15 Likes

At least they are just committing to making her evil. And not some grey character.

Hell I have always believed since The Frozen Throne she was evil.

6 Likes

All just to make her heel-face-turn more dramatic!

1 Like

I especially like the part where half the crowd was cheering when they shown the burning of Teldrassil. lol

23 Likes

I’m pretty sure she crossed the point of no return that changed her afterlife from probably Bastion to the Maw by the time she was using her plague on an innocent young girl to test its potency in the Arthas: Rise of the Lich King novel.

9 Likes

For like ten seconds. I don’t understand people.

22 Likes

Some people enjoy the misery of others.

19 Likes

I would have to say that would definitely do it!

1 Like

I mean, after the “Maaaaaybe she did it maaaaybe she didn’t” thing in Chronicles with Wrathgate I’m not exactly surprised.

4 Likes

:pray: Please :pray: let :pray: us :pray: kill :pray: Sylvanas :pray:

15 Likes

Since Edge of Night was referenced, I figured I’d just make this comparison while I’m at it from it:

Sylvanas Windrunner drifts in a sea of comfort, physical sensations replaced by the purity of emotion. She can grasp bliss, see joy, hear peace. This is the afterlife, her destiny. The eternal sea in which she found herself after she fell defending Silvermoon. She belongs here. With each recollection, her memory of this place palls. The sound grows distant; the warmth, cooler. The vision takes on the pallor of a half-remembered dream. But with horrific clarity, the memory always ends the same: Sylvanas’s spirit is wrenched away. The pain is so intense it leaves her soul forever torn. The grinning face of Arthas Menethil, with his lopsided smile and dead eyes, leers at her as he pulls her back into the world.

This original afterlife for Sylvanas sounds like Bastion to me:

Bastion is ordered and purposeful. Souls naturally drawn to service are sent here by the Arbiter to examine their lives, cleanse themselves of their burdens, and work toward a state of virtue so they might ascend to serve the Shadowlands.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23187291/world-of-warcraft-what-s-next-panel-recap

Then the description after she throws herself off of Icecrown:

Darkness

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner tumbled in a free fall. Not in the physical sense; her body had been obliterated at the foot of Icecrown Citadel. It was her spirit that tumbled, lost, like a rudderless ship in a storm.

How had she gotten here? She couldn’t remember. Had she been killed by Arthas? Had she committed suicide? Had she been sent to judgment by the Val’kyr? Time was meaningless here. Her whole life seemed not a series of events but a single instant, a pinpoint flash of consciousness in an infinite void.

She saw only darkness.

And then she felt—truly felt, for the first time in a long while. She recoiled. In agony.

Here she was, her spirit once again feeling whole, only to feel it suffer. To feel once more, only to feel abject pain. Cold. Hopelessness.

Fear.

There were others in the darkness. Things she didn’t recognize, because nothing so terrible could exist in the world of the living. Claws tore at her, but she had no mouth with which to scream. Eyes looked at her, but she couldn’t look back.

Regret.

She sensed a familiar presence. Recognized it. The taunting voice that had once held her in its grasp. Arthas? Arthas Menethil? Here? His essence rushed to her, desperate, then shrank away in horrified recognition. The boy who would be Lich King. Just a scared little blond child, reaping the aftermath of a lifetime of mistakes. If any part of Sylvanas’s soul were not at that moment torn and tormented, she might have even felt—for the first time—the slightest glimmer of pity for him.

In the grand landscape of all the world’s suffering and all the evils of the infinite, the Lich King was… insignificant.

Now the others had her. Surrounded her. Gleeful, tormenting, tearing at her consciousness, delighting in her suffering.

Horror.

This was to be her eternity: the endless void, the dark, unknown realm of anguish.

Which, well, obviously fits the Maw:

To be cast into the Maw is to be doomed to a bleak eternity. It is a tumultuous, hopeless land where the vilest souls in the cosmos are imprisoned forever. Should the ancient evil chained here break free, all of reality would be consumed.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/shadowlands

6 Likes

It’s just so fun to see everything I ever loved about this game ground into dust more and more just to satisfy people who never liked it to begin with, while leaving the people like me who enjoyed it and came to love the game through it with little to absolutely nothing left, after 15 years of investment.

Truly, Blizzard manages to outdo themselves each and every day when it comes to ruining their characters and lore.

39 Likes

imagine being so high up on the highest horse you think you are the playerbase

14 Likes