Stealth ability doesn’t feel stealthy because of Spy

You didn’t answer the question. Is 200+ yards near you or not?

go on break the api and see what happens… don’t mind me just handing out pitchforks and torches

How are you still level 39 even after the weekend after claiming that you “play a rogue” and been posting on my forums for three days? You obviously don’t play a rogue and are posting on an alt. You played a rogue for maybe four or five days and this is now your troll character.

cuss you dont get xp for ganking players ??? do you play wow??

So you’re saying all you do as a level 39 is gank other players?

why should I Ievel? and yes in STV mmhm

It wouldn’t be that hard. We’re speaking a bit loosely here. Spy doesn’t actually “read the combat log”, which implies parsing. Instead, it supplies listeners for the same events that the Combat Log does, i.e. it goes directly to the source. Since the Combat Log is a part of the digitally signed addons that make up the default UI, we don’t have to worry about “breaking it”, as Blizzard can effectively make exceptions to the rules for their own interface elements (e.g. casting spells in combat using the Spellbook). All they would have to do to break Spy without really harming much else would be to make it so that addons that subscribe to combat log events don’t get notified of events taking place for members of the opposing faction with whom the player is not in combat, or at least, are not in combat with anyone.

1 Like

Looks like I have to shut down this nonsense on this thread too. And it’s the same people crying here that were crying over there. So let’s get it out in the open again.

Spy only increases the awareness of someone 200 meters or less away when a hostile uses an ability within that area. It DOES NOT prevent anyone from using their abilities or skills. What it DOES do, is alert a player an enemy is nearby.

Why do rogues hate it? Because instead of the multiple attacks they MIGHT get off on an unaware target they are reduced to just the one sneak attack their skills actually bestow on an enemy that is aware of their presence.

It is not a cheat. It is not against the TOS. It is not against the COC. Rouges simply have to work a little harder to be cowards.

1 Like

The same or similar arguments could have been and were made for the LFG addon (it isn’t doing anything people couldn’t do for themselves, it doesn’t violate the TOS, it’s not cheating, etc.). But they broke it for making social interaction not feel right. Spy is making a class’s mechanics not feel right. As much as I hate to admit it because rogues can die in a fire, this addon has no excuse for existing if LFG doesn’t.

2 Likes

No it’s not. Everything about the class is still the same and still works as intended.

1 Like

it’s always the same people and they won’t listen but it is fun to argue with lunatics so ehhh also.

I don’t hate it and most rogues that i know dont hate it as well. in fact i use and and i still catch people unaware though i do have alot of self control and will stalk my targets for 5 mins before striking.

1 Like

Because I can sit there and instantly know a rogue is around, and shield myself from their potential attack… Unless they want to follow me around for a good long time because 30 second up time on an instant no cooldown spell isn’t hard to keep going, nor is traveling and moving with flares.

1 Like

So you admit it changes your gameplay where you have to sit and wait for an entire 5 min. You know what can go down in 5 min? That’s a sprint/vanish/evasion CD for a rogue.

2 Likes

Yes, it is. When you get off your mount as a rogue at the edge of sight distance of a hunter and enter stealth and he immediately starts flaring, your class has been messed with. If you can’t admit to that, you’re not being objective.

1 Like

So what ability or skill can you not use in that example?

I LOVE this addon. Seriously Its amazing for guild vs guild pvp… Having said that… It should 100% not be allowed.

2 Likes

I’ll put it this way…
If it’s available and legal, I’m going to use it.
That’s the final say for anyone using it.

That’s not the discussion at hand. Most players saying to get rid of it, such as myself, use it. It’s a discussion of if it should be around to be used or not.

1 Like

If you approach someone from out of range of spy in stealth you won’t show up until you open or they can see you. The only other time you will show up is if you res and stealth or if your already in range of spy then go stealth. It doesn’t make you automatically appear if your already stealthed. I’ve been attacked several times since using it by rogues without knowing anyone was around. It’s not as big of an issue for rogues as it just is for anyone in general. It is an issue in general but it’s not magic to always tell someone your around in stealth.

Also fwiw, I remember using an add on just like this in vanilla.

Shieldmaster, I understand why you don’t want to do anything to help a bunch of undead rogues. They’re petty and take cheap shots (literally). They eat peoples’ corpses. Even though they have a role play fantasy that is objectively abhorrent, that is what they want to do with their fifteen dollars a month.

Going after Spy for effectively nerfing rogue mechanics is a bit like supporting the Westboro Baptist Church in their free speech case before the Supreme Court to protest soldiers’ funerals. They are completely reprehensible, but it’s a matter of principle. If some addon came along that did something similar to paladins (or to the Alliance in general), I would not accept that I should just have to “learn to deal with it”, “get on the same level as my opponents” (who are automating an important part of gameplay), or accept that it won’t be dealt with by Blizzard because the Alliance is in the minority in PvP.

I would hope these contemptible, mentally disturbed rogues would defend me here on these forums as I am defending them now.

4 Likes