Stealth ability doesn’t feel stealthy because of Spy

With Spy, enemies can detect your presence through walls. Example: I am outside the gates of a city (Think alliance dwarf rogue PvPing in Hammerfall or in Grom’Gol).

The rogue stealth and cunningly sneaks his way way in. But people know the rogue’s presence THROUGH THE WALLS of the city. It is a huge announcement. Warning: opposite faction ganking! The exact opposite of what stealth was supposed to be.

1 Like

That sounds awful.

I don’t PvP, but one of my retail mains is a rogue. In the PVE game, about 5% of the mobs can see through stealth. These mobs are marked with a circle over their heads.

But in PvP? Yikes. Sounds awful. Sounds like this addon defeats the whole purpose of being a rogue.

6 Likes

Combat log can do that. Spy isn’t necessary for that.

Then stealth further away.

The radius at which abilities are logged is actually pretty small.

3 Likes

How exactly do you “see” someone through the gates of ironforge, hammerfall, Grom‘Gol, splinter tree fort, etc? With Spy you can “see them,” that which you could not see visibly.

1 Like

Create a separate chat window.
Drag combat log to that window.
Create new filter.
Filter to only show enemy spells.
Set the font size to 16.
Read the combat log.
See “Rogue X gains Stealth.”

3 Likes

Ban addons.

1 Like

No changes.

What I don’t understand is how people riding mounts get detected by the addon.

They aren’t casting anything just riding around yet the addon knows there class

2 Likes

This addon constitutes change in paradigm from how the game was played. Spy is a change.

I love spy and use it like 90% of the other people out there, but I agree it needs a heavy nerf or possibly even a ban. It’s just too powerful, especially for detecting stealthies.

5 Likes

No they absolutely should not.

2 Likes

I understand it’s general use, I just fail to see why blizzard made stealth appear in the combat log. Was it always like this in true vanilla or is this a port over bug from the Legion client?

1 Like

Does the addon tell you exactly where a rogue is? I don’t think it does.
Does anyone playing on a pvp server not expect rogues to be out in the world looking to gank people? I seriously hope not.
What’s the issue then?

1 Like

For people who agree with the OP, but still use the SPY addon, don’t you feel like your cheating yourself out of legit gameplay? I would never use this addon because I just simply am not offended by having rogues open on me out of nowhere.

some people need the crutch, because they cannot walk the walk. Ya, it needs to be broken.

5 Likes

youre asking to remove something blizz has no control or capability to do so since the code of the add on pulls off from the combat log

Its not like the census add on that blizz found a way to break

Just walk around in stealth before appearing on anyones screen. It shouldnt alert the add on that way. Its not just rogues, its every class. The moment the add on gives off that sound, i click on their names and i can see that they have me targetted too even though i have no idea where they are at and vice versa.

Think OP, think.

2 Likes

Blizzard has the ability to do whatever they want in terms of 3rd party programs and their game.

6 Likes

Thats not true at all. They are limited by this magical thing known as client side, aka your laptop. They can do whatever they want on their servers, but they have little control over your client. That is why hacking works. I have used a lot of WPE PRO to modify packets and send them back to the server. Most of them are fixed now, but back in the day you could dupe items, or get unlimited spell damage, etc. The only way they can detect you using that program is if their anti cheat matches the name with whatever is on their logs. You can bypass this by renaming the hex code of the program itself. I imagine its no different to do so to add ons. And add ons that dont interact with server side, and are strictly client side, blizzard has no way of touching it or even knowing it exists. Kinda like auto clickers and botting software.

You see, this is Blizzards property and they have this thing called ToS. If they actually wanted to, they could absolutely detect the use of the addon and ban people. But you know, you know what is possible and not possible because you took a few computer courses.

1 Like

You must have no idea how LUA coding works that the addon uses to pull this information.

They literally cannot disable this addon without severely changing how the whole game functions. They either have to remove the combat log in whole, or make it were any API event call that reads chat is disabled.

They are most definitely not going to disable the combat log and they are most definitely not going to disable API “RegisterEvent” API calls and break most addons because of one.

Deal with it.

3 Likes