Spy vs stealth

Let’s not get too misleading here. I know this can be mistaken as semantics but it’s not.

3rd party software is a totally different subject.

Addons are not 3rd party. Addons are part of the game. They allow for individual customizations based on the API provided by Blizzard.

The difference means addon functionality is data provided to the API for addons to use. 3rd party software can pull info from other sources which might not be provided by the API.

I can make a 2nd combat log, just as I can make additional chat tabs, then choose what combat log data is displayed. Trim it down to only show stealth type actions and now it’s providing similar results as the Spy addon. No addon necessary.

Hey, bottom line, say you gank them. What happens next? They’re going to be on high alert.

You just want the gank, not the fight.

Typically it’s hard to argue because you either don’t know what you’re talking about or realize it’s true and just can’t argue it.

Look, I’m not arguing the addon itself. I get what it does and how it makes people always on alert.

The thing is, it’s not an issue. Why? Say they are alert, how do you handle it? Curl up in a fetal position and rush to the forums? A rogue that knows what they are doing will handle it 100% of the time.

If you’re within 50 yards, terrain or not, you’re likely to be noticed. You can see them well before then and should be hitting stealth and preparing to fight whether they saw you or not.

OP wants a quick, surprised enemy to gank. Let’s face it, if you’re on a PvP server, having some tool of a rogue find and gank you multiple times is NOT SURPRISING.

Hey man, don’t worry… isn’t the mantra on the forums “Horde good, Alliance Bad.” Our racials suck. You automatically got the edge right?

There has never been an argument that cannot be argued if it’s not blatantly true for even the most casual observer.

Remove “caught out of stealth,” and that sentence works for literally every other class except druids, because they too can stealth. Cooldowns are powerful for a reason. As others have said, you’re just salty you can’t wait until your victims are helpless without them at least being given fair warning.

That nerf actually helped against rogues. Before the range was far too long. People were using it as a ganking tool to find lowbies. Now that it’s limited to 50 yards i know a rogue is nearby, not just stealthing 1/3rd of the zone away somewhere.

1 Like

Then earn it.

Just like you earned the advantage from downloading a crutch addon that announces stealth classes near you as well as pinging the last know location before i entered stealth? Even though you wernt paying any attention to your screen at all. Yeah bro you are right you earned that.

1 Like

man i cared about your post, tell i saw your name, also they just super nerfed spy so if you think its still bad, you are bad.

It’s a double edge sword. For me I found people who I didn’t know were there. So I have no issues with it

Again i have yet to say anything toxic. Rogues use poison…its a fitting rogue name. Also the nerf just made the addon more accurate, aka making it better for finding rogues. The nerf was to help stop roaming warbands from being able to track down players from across the map. It didnt address the issues with stealth detection. If anything it became better for that. But thanks for judging.

Instead of jumping into stealth within 50 yards of your potential victim; just travel in stealth. Sure it takes longer to get to where you are going but you have a solution. YOU are just choosing not to use it.

Thats not a viable option considering you will never catch a mounted target. Lets be real clear here. 50 yrds is just on the cusp of targeting range. Its further than any ability range in the game.

You are incorrect. Equip crippling poison travel in stealth. Sap mounted target. Cheapshot kidney shot; victim is poisoned and not going anywhere. YOUR WELCOME. I cant believe i had to tell you that.

The combat log was reduced to 50 yards. If you are stealthing so close anyone with PvP Awareness will see you coming in.

If you think they saw you, be patient. And/or let them blow their cooldowns/mana to try to find you.

Been playing a Rogue since the range fix. I’m doing just fine.

I find it truly ironic that Blizzard went though the trouble to eliminate Focus frames and Arena frames from the Modern WoW client.

And here we are with spy that gives that exact thing back…

Its kinda ridiculous that I can have arena frames in PVP in a game that they specifically do not have that in the default UI.

That feature right there is so game breaking for anyone that does not have spy installed that it’s absolutely ridiculous.

It’s worse for Druids / rogues because now I don’t even need to actually SEE you to select you, spy needs only detect you and then I can macro target and zap you out of stealth.

You are 100% screwed because of Spy…

I am not mocking you, but pointing out how damn strong spy actually is, and WHY it’s so strong.

Eliminating the Arena frame component of it so that targeting a player is not possible VIA the addon would go a long way to make playing a stealth class reasonably enjoyable.

Spy when I am playing my hunter is not a problem, it just makes my character 10X more powerful because now I don’t even need to really do much regarding what use to be a hallmark of PVP, being that I don’t need to observe the battle field and select targets wisely.

Instead now Spy does this for me and I just bump the appropriate keybind macro and shizzam you’re screwed.

This right here is why I stuck with my hunter for PVP and why none of my alts intended for PVP will have need of stealth.

2 Likes

Spy is easily countered by traveling in stealth. In fact one can argue spy gives victims a false sense of security.

Crippling poison does not always proc, you can actually get strings of attacks where it simply never proc’s at all… No resist, just does not trigger.

Additionally you’re addressing a human rogue meaning he’s alliance. Given that a massive portion of the PVP population play ORC’s… … Rogues cannot count on cheap shot or kidney shot to do what you describe.

1 Like

Class depending.

Paranoia and Track Hidden would like to have a word with your foolish and ignorance.

Without spy I can track and detect a Sub rogue at 20 yards so long as I the player am diligent.

With Spy I can be practically AFK and spy because of track hidden will populate my arena frame and I will simply zap em out of stealth…

Spy is ultra lazy dude, and it’s automating the targeting of players in a way that removes the skill needed to battle stealth classes.

2 Likes

If you have crippling on both weapons you are going to get crippling on target inside of the cheap shot kidney shot window

Wrong dude, it’s not that way even if you had a 50% chance to apply poisons you could still see strings of failure to proc.

Ok please tell me how to get in range of a mounted enemy from 50yrds away to sap them if im in stealth and moving at walking pace? Unless they by some chance run over me thats not happening. The playstyle without this addon is as follows: run around on a mount till you find prey. Dismount when close and enter stealth from behind a large map obstacle so im not seen/ in range to at the very least use distract to turn them around. You can not ever chase down a mounted target that is futher than 50yrds unless they go afk. Since the addon announces when i stealth they will just keep running. The playstyle you described would work if the addon wasnt a thing.

50 feet/yards. is very small. you should beable to stealth outside of that, spy cannot detect people alrwady stealth…